Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Waco 70.3
Quote | Reply
I am doing my first triathlon the Ironman Waco 70.3 in October. I am completely new to this sport and just had a question about what to wear during the swimming portion of the race. Has anyone competed in this race? It will be in October so still pretty warm if not hot so I assume the water temp will be warm also. Is it too hot for a wet suite? Would a swim skin would be a better option? For those who competed in that race before any other tips you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year was the first year for Waco and the swim was cancelled so there's really no precedent for temp. The closest you could get is looking at Austin which was historically in October and typically wetsuit legal. The one year I did it the water temp was slightly warmer than the air temp and it felt pretty nice. I wore a sleeveless and had no issues. The only difference with Waco is I believe water will be coming from a dam upstream. If they're letting water out and it comes from the bottom it could actually be chilly.

There will be plenty of water temp discussions on the FB group as the day gets closer. Just watch those. My early guess is that a sleeveless will be perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I coached a lot of people for last year's Waco, and told them to bring it all.
Wetsuit
Speed suit
Tri suit

Options:
Tri suit under wetsuit
Tri suit under speed suit
Full sleeve or no sleeve wetsuit

Personally, I go wetsuit every time it's allowed and speed suit when not.

Unfortunately for Waco people last year, they just had extra luggage since the swim was cancelled, but better to be prepared than not.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
Sample 70.3/140.6 Training Plans
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be a wet suit legal. If you are close to Waco, try TriWaco in summer. It's an Olympic distance and you will get a taste of run course which is the worst hill in Ironman history. LOL! Swim course is the same but shorter. I've signed up for both.
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Should be a wet suit legal. If you are close to Waco, try TriWaco in summer. It's an Olympic distance and you will get a taste of run course which is the worst hill in Ironman history. LOL! Swim course is the same but shorter. I've signed up for both.

Yeah that hill is pretty tricky, going up ain't easy but it's so steep that coming down is hard too.

Killed a toenail down that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
s13tx wrote:
Should be a wet suit legal. If you are close to Waco, try TriWaco in summer. It's an Olympic distance and you will get a taste of run course which is the worst hill in Ironman history. LOL! Swim course is the same but shorter. I've signed up for both.


Yeah that hill is pretty tricky, going up ain't easy but it's so steep that coming down is hard too.

Killed a toenail down that thing.

You are right. I thought going downhill would be fast and easy. I was wrong.
Even Andrew Starky said it was a tough run. I overheard him in the finisher tent.
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Should be a wet suit legal. If you are close to Waco, try TriWaco in summer. It's an Olympic distance and you will get a taste of run course which is the worst hill in Ironman history. LOL! Swim course is the same but shorter. I've signed up for both.


How does the bike for TriWaco compare the IM? Obviously shorter, but is the TriWaco bike at all representative of the IM bike? I'm signed up for the IM and will be doing TriWaco as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [HoustonTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri wrote:
s13tx wrote:
Should be a wet suit legal. If you are close to Waco, try TriWaco in summer. It's an Olympic distance and you will get a taste of run course which is the worst hill in Ironman history. LOL! Swim course is the same but shorter. I've signed up for both.



How does the bike for TriWaco compare the IM? Obviously shorter, but is the TriWaco bike at all representative of the IM bike? I'm signed up for the IM and will be doing TriWaco as well.

Unfortunately, no. You go south for TriWaco and go north for Waco 70.3. TriWaco bike course is pretty flat except when you go up one of the bridges. It's a two loop course. Waco 70.3 bike course was good except some wind somewhere half way. I overheard Andrew Starky talking about the run course in the tent last year and even he said it was a tough course. He won the race btw. Swim course changed for 70.3. It's point to point downstream swim, so it should be fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do believe last years bike course was altered because of flooding around the lake.
Hopefully the bike course doesn't go by the rodeo arena again, the road got backed up by trucks and horse trailers exiting the arena.
Not sure it affected the early riders, but I was one of the high bib numbers and towards the tail end of the bike start.
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [Brewbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brewbadger wrote:
I do believe last years bike course was altered because of flooding around the lake.
Hopefully the bike course doesn't go by the rodeo arena again, the road got backed up by trucks and horse trailers exiting the arena.
Not sure it affected the early riders, but I was one of the high bib numbers and towards the tail end of the bike start.


I did the relay, so I was one of the last 20 riders starting the race.
I didn't have any problem with the bike course. I really enjoyed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
HoustonTri wrote:
s13tx wrote:
Should be a wet suit legal. If you are close to Waco, try TriWaco in summer. It's an Olympic distance and you will get a taste of run course which is the worst hill in Ironman history. LOL! Swim course is the same but shorter. I've signed up for both.



How does the bike for TriWaco compare the IM? Obviously shorter, but is the TriWaco bike at all representative of the IM bike? I'm signed up for the IM and will be doing TriWaco as well.


Unfortunately, no. You go south for TriWaco and go north for Waco 70.3. TriWaco bike course is pretty flat except when you go up one of the bridges. It's a two loop course. Waco 70.3 bike course was good except some wind somewhere half way. I overheard Andrew Starky talking about the run course in the tent last year and even he said it was a tough course. He won the race btw. Swim course changed for 70.3. It's point to point downstream swim, so it should be fast.

Thanks for the info. I will probably still do TriWaco. I will find out this week if work will interfere. I have new wheels that I am eager to race with.
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [HoustonTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri wrote:
Thanks for the info. I will probably still do TriWaco. I will find out this week if work will interfere. I have new wheels that I am eager to race with.

You will love the bike course with the new wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it really worse than Barton Ave on IMCHOO?
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [thebod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thebod wrote:
Is it really worse than Barton Ave on IMCHOO?

You tell me.

http://www.ironman.com/...ation%20cc%20web.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think chatty is worse, but I’ll find out in October.

http://m.ironman.com/...ironman/chattanooga/~/media/77ba123ba54d49d8b42c37fcbc10e249.ashx
Quote Reply
Re: Waco 70.3 [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it was just me but...last year it seemed as if there were only a hand full of bars open after the race. I'm assuming it's because Waco is a baptist town and the race is on Sunday? With that said, there's a really good burger place that serves craft beers about 2 miles away from the race venue.
Quote Reply