Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTF Ironman ?
Quote | Reply
Stringing everyone along just to make a few bucks makes me sick..
Quote Reply
Re: WTF Ironman ? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But right on brand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They know damn well they're going to have to cancel stuff for months on end and I guarantee those b****** won't do it till the last second on every single one it's going to cost a lot of people a lot of extra money for no f****** reason.

I would love to see an organization get their s*** together and put on the same distance race under a different brand and give them a run for their money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rote, verbatim post on every race Facebook page is not instilling confidence in the organization. Just the opposite

They are waiting for gov't agencies to force them to cancel, for insurance reasons I'd guess
Last edited by: ChrisM: Mar 13, 20 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: WTF Ironman ? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

I would love to see an organization get their s*** together and put on the same distance race under a different brand and give them a run for their money.

Someone already tried that but the Iron-Lemmings held strong and eagerly handed over their money to the M-Dot overlords.That will never change regardless of what Ironman does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ironman / wtc brand has jumped the shark ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: WTF Ironman ? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s exactly what they are doing. If you read all the statements they say “canceled by local health authorities.” Scummy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you expect? They cannot commit today. If they had to make decision now, it would be cancel everything. So, they will wait as long as possible to make the right decision this is best. This is the best case scenario.
Quote Reply
Re: WTF Ironman ? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
That’s exactly what they are doing. If you read all the statements they say “canceled by local health authorities.” Scummy

Everyone directing their angst to the 70.3 facebook page that nobody at WTC looks at would be better served emailing Oceanside city officials. It will only take about four angry emails from spandex clad yuppies before they kill it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess you lost your bet. It must be the human condition that everyone requires someone to blame; Republicans blame Democrats, Democrats blame Republicans and Triathletes blame WTC.

Maybe what you have is a group of people who dedicate their entire lives to our sport just doing the best they can under unprecedented circumstances?

Last edited by: Greatzaa: Mar 13, 20 19:15
Quote Reply
Re: WTF Ironman ? [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
Guess you lost your bet. It must be the human condition that everyone requires someone to blame; Republicans blame Democrats, Democrats blame Republicans and Triathletes blame WTC.

Maybe what you have is a group of people who dedicate their entire lives to our sport just doing the best they can under unprecedented circumstances?

What bet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad, not a bet, a "guarantee."
Fishbum wrote:
I guarantee those b****** won't do it till the last second on every single one it's going to cost a lot of people a lot of extra money for no f****** reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"Maybe what you have is a group of people who dedicate their entire lives to our sport."

Nope. Just dedicated to trying to make more money than they deserve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contrary to public opinion, I have seen absolutely no evidence that would lead me to believe that anyone is getting rich at WTC; Not the employees, not the CEO, not Wanda and not the investors. I have been fortunate enough to meet several people at WTC through the years and what they all seem to have in common is that they seem to be good people who genuinely love the sport.

You can tell when people are just in it to make a dollar....they are miserable doing something they don't enjoy. No passion. No enthusiasm. I don't see that at Ironman.

Did Wanda get in this out of "Love?" Nope. They are in business to make a profit....something that has been somewhat elusive for them up to this point. But, in order to maximize their investment they smartly surrounded themselves with people who are incredibly passionate about what they do and as a result they have done a great job building Triathlon Worldwide and consistently put on the best mass participant sporting events in the World.

It's not cool to say, but I'll say it. In virtually every instance when Ironman takes over an event, they increase participation. Why? They do a better job. Sorry, but it's true. Do unpopular events go away? Yep. It's called supply and demand.

So, while it may be in vogue to blame big bad corporations for all the evils in the world, it is people like you and me who run the companies, put on the events and really care about what they do.

YMMV
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Mar 14, 20 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

"Maybe what you have is a group of people who dedicate their entire lives to our sport."

This is so idiotic. I guarantee the average income of the IM racers is far higher than the average IM employee. Many of whom are clearly spoiled, selfish, whiney, little babies.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: WTF Ironman ? [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the right thing to do will be to give options to the people racing for the next 3 months.

At this point, what is can causes is that people dont know what to do about plane tickets, hotel reservation, etc.

Particulary, Im supposed to go to Victoria 70.3 (I live currently in Mexico), but I dont know what to do (no plane tickets yet). I truly want IM to provide me enough flexibility and not wait until 20 days before the event to make a decision.

If they do that (give flexibility, like postponing or racing later in the year. Im not asking to get my money back) then they will gain my trust and long term commitment
Last edited by: xtianspuma: Mar 14, 20 4:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday, I received the new travel cancellation policy from TREK Travel. While I realize racing is different from a longer trip, I think their approach is something WTC should/could review in light of the recent outbreak.

Very fair approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

This is so idiotic. I guarantee the average income of the IM racers is far higher than the average IM employee. Many of whom are clearly spoiled, selfish, whiney, little babies.

Rabbit and Greatzaa

Keep defending them LOL. They should definitely cancel everything for at least three months and reevaluate. As should every one else. Let people recoup the other fees they can before the cutoff times. I'm sure the people who work and volunteer for this company are good people. But I take real issue with the people at the top making the decisions. Did you read that letter they put out. Let's talk about idiotic!!!!!!
Last edited by: Fishbum: Mar 14, 20 4:58
Quote Reply
Re: WTF Ironman ? [SSMinnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SSMinnow wrote:
Yesterday, I received the new travel cancellation policy from TREK Travel. While I realize racing is different from a longer trip, I think their approach is something WTC should/could review in light of the recent outbreak.

Very fair approach.

This!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% agree. Ever go back WAY after the event is over . . . 2, 3, 6 am. you'll see "director" level employees out helping, hauling, picking up trash; and, stop you and ask you how the day went. A large part of the employees are motivated by pure passion for the sport . . . thank God for each of them.

Some here act like decision making to just roll up and cancel races is an easy thing to do. Remember, this whole thing evolved very quickly, and is still evolving. Who knows the *best* decision right now?! Is this thing a 2 week interruption; or, 4, 8, 26, 52, 78 week interruption? My crystal ball sure isn't good enough to tell. As a leader you do the best you can to move forward in a positive way with the best interests of your business/group as well as other constituents in mind. Not easy at all, but you set a path and move forward. Then, you adjust, and keep moving.

I have one small local race that is in June. I can tell you we already have a large percentage of the costs sunk . . . so, do we cancel, hold course, something in between. The finisher medals, for example, are already dated. We are taking non-refundable entries and people are signing up. For now we forge ahead with great optimism and then make the best decisions we can as time goes by. Imagine trying to do that with an organization with the size and footprint of Ironman. Knowing those people they are doing the best they can even if we don't agree 100%.

The same at my office - what do you do? I'm making the best decisions I can and we are moving forward as best we can. I feel sorry for other small local business (most triathlons are just that) like restaurants . . . many will not survive. Some will need to take risks in decision making just to make it.

Got to do . . . I'm off for a long ride optimistic that I can race Roth!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
Contrary to public opinion, I have seen absolutely no evidence that would lead me to believe that anyone is getting rich at WTC; Not the employees, not the CEO, not Wanda and not the investors. I have been fortunate enough to meet several people at WTC through the years and what they all seem to have in common is that they seem to be good people who genuinely love the sport.

You can tell when people are just in it to make a dollar....they are miserable doing something they don't enjoy. No passion. No enthusiasm. I don't see that at Ironman.

Did Wanda get in this out of "Love?" Nope. They are in business to make a profit....something that has been somewhat elusive for them up to this point. But, in order to maximize their investment they smartly surrounded themselves with people who are incredibly passionate about what they do and as a result they have done a great job building Triathlon Worldwide and consistently put on the best mass participant sporting events in the World.

It's not cool to say, but I'll say it. In visually every instance when Ironman takes over an event, they increase participation. Why? They do a better job. Sorry, but it's true. Do unpopular events go away? Yep. It's called supply and demand.

So, while it may be in vogue to blame big bad corporations for all the evils in the world, it is people like you and me who run the companies, put on the events and really care about what they do.

YMMV

Agree... It is the human condition(weakness) to blame their situation on some great power. That makes it easy to write off as "it's not my fault". This mass hysteria is adversely affecting everyone. Suck it up and make the best decision you can just like everyone else
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
They know damn well they're going to have to cancel stuff for months on end and I guarantee those b****** won't do it till the last second on every single one it's going to cost a lot of people a lot of extra money for no f****** reason.

Come up to Michigan! I’d like to think we have our s*** together and we have been pushing the rebranding of our full-distance race. Registrations are up year to date, although it’s yet to be seen if that will continue with what’s going on in the world. I doubt we will ever “give them a run for their money”, but it’s fun to try (no pun intended)!
Quote Reply
Re: WTF Ironman ? [JMosey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMosey wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Come up to Michigan! I’d like to think we have our s*** together and we have been pushing the rebranding of our full-distance race. Registrations are up year to date, although it’s yet to be seen if that will continue with what’s going on in the world. I doubt we will ever “give them a run for their money”, but it’s fun to try (no pun intended)!

That's awesome. And Michigan is beautiful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: WTF Ironman ? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

LMAO!

But seriously they do make it way too easy.
Quote Reply