Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
WTF?? Softride bankrupt??
Quote | Reply
Ok, maybe this is totally untrue, but today I received an email from the German Softride dealer saying that Allsop Inc. USA stopped it's bike production, which supposedly means Softride. It goes on to say that they're looking for a new buyer and that there's enough spare parts for a while.
What the heck? Is there any truth to this? I mean, why would the German importer lie? Just curious! Jan
Quote Reply
Re: WTF?? Softride bankrupt?? [jave-mtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm . . . this would be bad news. I really like my Softride and doubt my wife would let me buy a Titanflex to replace it just because I can't get spare parts.

But I don't see anything on Softride's or Allsop's website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never understood why there isn't more Softride love in the tri world. Guess the concept is too unconventional for most of us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn! I hope not. I love my SR.
Adamsoftride, where are you?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn!

Luckily, I already have laid in the parts for my next beam overhaul--probably won't have to do that for another two years.

Yeah, I agree on the lack of Softride love. But they don't appear to be effectively marketing the product well anymore, nor do they appear to be introducing the "new" products that the market seems to demand these days.

Like what you read here? Read more at Crosseyed and Painless or Duathlonblog.

"We used to run Bstone prototypes into 3-foot-high cement walls to see what it took to bend them. If that sounds like crazy-good fun, it wasn't. Everybody wanted to watch, nobody wanted to ride, so we took turns."
--Rivendell Reader 36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm... There is a FASST on e-bay for $1200 buy it now... I was wondering why a new model would be on e-bay at a 50% discount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd better pull apart my pivot and beam to make sure all is well before I can't get parts, if this is all true.
Agreed about the marketing. They also need to convince some more pros to try them.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: WTF?? Softride bankrupt?? [glarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already sold

dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any truth to this?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's true according to my bike guy. I asked him about a couple of deals I had found on SR and he told me that word was SR was shutting its doors. Too bad, really. I thought they had a really good product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when i was shopping around for my first tri-bike a few months ago, i asked a couple of elite triathletes about the soft-ride, since i thought the design looked cool and radical. not to offend anyone that rides one, but they basically told me they were "junk" then gave me weird looks for even mentioning soft-rides.

i guess in hindsight, they gave me good advice!
Quote Reply
Re: WTF?? Softride bankrupt?? [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Junk? I'd argue with that, but I guess, if this whole talk of them going bankrupt is true, it's a moot point. I was wondering if they'd survive the latest blow that the USCF was making (with thier spineless "me too" move to comply with the UCI regs against anything not "retro"). I guess I was just thinking too late...

I certainly hope it's just a rumor. 3 Softrides in my stable (and was even looking at another) say that I want them to be around for a long time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: WTF?? Softride bankrupt?? [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I owned a couplle of them- A Rocket TT and a Powerwing. I had very good performances on them. It was a solid concept. They were fast bikes.

Perhaps a strong element of this is the fact that people are so heavily influenced by what is fashionable as opposed to what is functional.

In fairness, there were (are) some attendant mechnical and maintenance/fitting procedures with Softrides that are not in place with other bikes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was there reason to call them junk? Had they tried them? A lot of people call computrainers junk. Or, or, or.

Guess this will give titanflex some more business. Did Scott M. ride his titanflex in the worlds last weekend? Is he going to ride in the IHW tomorrow?

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: WTF?? Softride bankrupt?? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
again, i didn't call them "junk." since i now nothing about bikes, i asked a few pro/elite guys for their opinion.

i actually thought the soft-rides are radically innovative-looking and was seriously interested in buying one. when my friends shot it down, i had to listen...why they think they're junk is beyond me. as a beginner, i'm not about to question the advice of an expert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a nightmare! I was just about to buy my first Tri bike--a softride.

So for softride owners, say they are bankrupt. How many spare parts do you really need? Do these bikes break down a lot? Are they things that there is no aftermarket for (i.e., screws you can't get at Home Depot or something).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not say you, I was asking about your "experts".

I road a SF once when I was looking to buy a new bike. I was faster than anything I had ridden. But, I did not like the way the beam went up, and the mechanical concerns. This is why I am looking at a Titanflex now. Yes, all the "experts" say it is junk. But, I have basically yet to find a person with a beam bike who does not love them.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey folks...if "Alsop" was to file bankruptsy...that is NOT "Softride"...they are related but not the same company Alsop does NOT make bikes, nor bike parts.

www.softride.com

http://www.alsop.com

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: WTF?? Softride bankrupt?? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's you on the far right, isn't it? The scion of the Alsop family?

--. --- .... . .-. . .-.-.- .- .-.. --- .... .- .- -. -.. -- .- .... .- .-.. --- .-.-.-
19° 38’ 11.08” N 155° 59’ 30.66” W
Quote Reply
Re: WTF?? Softride bankrupt?? [goolsbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 12 years of riding Softrides, I have yet to replace a beam or any of the mounting parts. But I have the classic beam type, not the Rocket type. My understanding is that the Rocket type beam (the straight one) has more problems than the classic. My only concern was in purchasing future bikes and beams...

Quote Reply
Re: WTF?? Softride bankrupt?? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been told by the chief USCF referee for the Mid-Atlantic that the 2005 rule reversed the UCI compliance. You can use softrides--just not at Nats.

"We used to run Bstone prototypes into 3-foot-high cement walls to see what it took to bend them. If that sounds like crazy-good fun, it wasn't. Everybody wanted to watch, nobody wanted to ride, so we took turns."
--Rivendell Reader 36
Quote Reply
Re: WTF?? Softride bankrupt?? [kemptonslim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the ruling stating that, for 2007 and beyond, they are not allowed for ANY competition, is still in effect. There's a lot of conflicting rumor about that.

Quote Reply
Re: WTF?? Softride bankrupt?? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rule 1J(e) in the 2005 rulebook says "Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at events that select 17-18, U23, and elite riders for international competition or national teams."

For clarification, I asked the chief ref in the Mid-Atlantic about this rule (I had been told otherwise by another official), which reflected a change over the 2004 rulebook. He said that my interpretation is correct, that beam bikes and other bikes lacking a seat-tube will no longer be outlawed as of 2007.

--Rivendell Reader 36
Quote Reply
Re: WTF?? Softride bankrupt?? [kemptonslim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"will no longer be outlawed as of 2007."

Is that "outlawed" or "allowed"?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitchers,

I would like to make a few comments on this topic today and help answer any questions. Firstly, Softride, Inc. is not going bankrupt.

Recently, Softride has taken on three new products in the Bicycle Rack, Towing Accessory, and Spin Bike markets. The success of these products has helped to grow and maintain the Softride name brand in the bicycle industry as well as introducing the Softride name to other markets. The entrance into new markets dictates that Softride dedicate a large percentage of our current resources into these new areas to ensure the growth and success of these varying products. The decision to re-allocate resources into different areas requires Softride to place a limited amount of funds into our bicycle division. Therefore, we have made the decision to look for potential investors or a purchaser of the bicycle division. Softride was built on the passion and innovation that owners, Mike and Jim Allsop used to develop products that have set Softride apart from other industry brands. The Allsop’s wish to keep this creative passion alive through a renewed interest in Softride Bike, bringing financial support to daily operations and once again bringing Softride to the top.

All parts and accessories will be kept at sufficient inventory levels to ensure that all customer needs are met.

Sincere Thanks,

Adam

Softride Bike
Quote Reply

Prev Next