Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
WTC new ownership moving fast!
Quote | Reply
Day 1 of new ownership and they are moving fast to clean up the mess of postponed and rescheduled races. I think this is really good news and expect the process of WTC waiting until 44 days out to notify are over!
This will be a much more customer/athlete friendly ownership!
Thank you- Jesse DuBey!
Quote Reply
Re: WTC new ownership moving fast! [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the management had a plan and they could not put it in place because the old owner didn't want to do anything to affect the value of the company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any link anywhere to what they are doing?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let’s see some athlete-friendly actions before we start complimenting new ownership on that basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds great, but can you let us know what they did?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: WTC new ownership moving fast! [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: WTC new ownership moving fast! [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Let’s see some athlete-friendly actions before we start complimenting new ownership on that basis.

IMO Notification of the cancellations more than 6 months in advance is very athlete friendly and something that would not have happened under Wanda. This is day 1, I think it shows they understand the need for communication and came in prepared to get this done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endeavoring to hold the race and give people an option to participate is athlete-friendly. Just cancelling it is about controlling expense. Don’t think for a minute the motivation here was to be nice.

If you read the closing press release, there was a reference to a lingering price adjustment mechanism, presumably related to financial outcomes from these reschedulings, etc. My guess is that the two parties agreed to remove some lingering uncertainty by resolving this.

As for the new owners: expect the same experience you had with Providence Equity. I don’t really have a strong opinion about that one way or the other, but they will be a profit-seeking enterprise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was the right call re: the WC events.

Is it time we stop referring to The IRONMAN Group as WTC?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 21, 20 17:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they can finally fess up to the fact that Santa Rosa and Oceanside are not really going to happen in October?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:

.........is very athlete friendly and something that would not have happened under Wanda. This is day 1, I think it shows they understand the need for communication and came in prepared to get this done.

Let's face it, for the last 5-10 years WTC has not been known for their communication skills to age groupers. It's an extremely low bar to step over, barely have to pick their feet off the ground.

get the pro communications and those are 100x more informative and forthcoming than anything us age groupers have received.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Waingro wrote:

IMO Notification of the cancellations more than 6 months in advance is very athlete friendly and something that would not have happened under Wanda. This is day 1, I think it shows they understand the need for communication and came in prepared to get this done.

You believe that Andrew Messick has suddenly changed the way he does things since he took over in 2011?Ironman has had little regard for the age groupers since well before The Wanda group bought it.Holy shit,some of the stuff they did before Messick was way worse than anything we have seen lately. People in Nth America just love to give "The Chinese" a hard time and that has extended to a great many triathletes opinion when it comes to The Wanda Group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Day 1 of new ownership and they are moving fast to clean up the mess of postponed and rescheduled races. I think this is really good news and expect the process of WTC waiting until 44 days out to notify are over!
Thank you- Jesse DuBey!

Who knows, they might offer refunds too...
Quote Reply
Re: WTC new ownership moving fast! [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
Thank you- Jesse DuBey!

Advance is a 98-year-old company, which for the US is an 'old world company'. They just finalized the acquisition signed at the very beginning of the pandemic. They could've easily demanded a steep discount and requested a new deal in light of that; but they didn't. I believe they are in it for the long haul and see value over the long-term, which all bodes well for Ironman being around for some time. Fingers crossed! There is tremendous value for a media company in owning a monopoly brand who's customer base is a majority of top 10% earners. I believe that's Advance's mindset.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC new ownership moving fast! [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You believe that Andrew Messick has suddenly changed the way he does things since he took over in 2011?"
---------------------------------
I sure hope not! I think he has done an excellent job during (and before) a very difficult time. I personally don't understand the IM haters. Is everything they do perfect, of course not. However, they consistently produce high quality events and provide a very good product (which is why they are so popular). We, here, are a pretty tough clientele, which is good because it keeps them on their toes; but, we should also recognize that the IM team is mostly very hard working, care very much about the athletes, and like the rest of us are trying to survive these rough times. Remember also that they are running a business and they have to make smart business decisions to stay alive.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC new ownership moving fast! [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"You believe that Andrew Messick has suddenly changed the way he does things since he took over in 2011?"
I sure hope not! I think he has done an excellent job during (and before) a very difficult time. I personally don't understand the IM haters. Is everything they do perfect, of course not. However, they consistently produce high quality events and provide a very good product (which is why they are so popular). We, here, are a pretty tough clientele, which is good because it keeps them on their toes; but, we should also recognize that the IM team is mostly very hard working, care very much about the athletes, and like the rest of us are trying to survive these rough times. Remember also that they are running a business and they have to make smart business decisions to stay alive.

What you see on race week is awesome no doubt but there have been more than a few shitty things they have done behind the scenes over the years that people either don't know about,don't want to believe or don't want to talk about.

Personally, I was one of the few here who was very happy when The Wanda Group bought Ironman because I believed that finally the focus would shift from the USA and open up other parts of the world that they had previously failed in or weren't interested in.That happened and tens of thousands of new triathletes are happily training for M-Dot races in new locations around the world as a result .I would hate to see the focus shift back the the USA again..
Quote Reply
Re: WTC new ownership moving fast! [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
Thank you- Jesse DuBey!

in some countries in europe they already do for a few weeks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
david wrote:

What you see on race week is awesome no doubt but there have been more than a few shitty things they have done behind the scenes over the years that people either don't know about,don't want to believe or don't want to talk about.

Personally, I was one of the few here who was very happy when The Wanda Group bought Ironman because I believed that finally the focus would shift from the USA and open up other parts of the world that they had previously failed in or weren't interested in.That happened and tens of thousands of new triathletes are happily training for M-Dot races in new locations around the world as a result .I would hate to see the focus shift back the the USA again..

As long as the races in other parts of the world are drawing a good crowd and are profitable, can't see why they would do away with them.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC new ownership moving fast! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

.........is very athlete friendly and something that would not have happened under Wanda. This is day 1, I think it shows they understand the need for communication and came in prepared to get this done.

Let's face it, for the last 5-10 years WTC has not been known for their communication skills to age groupers. It's an extremely low bar to step over, barely have to pick their feet off the ground.

get the pro communications and those are 100x more informative and forthcoming than anything us age groupers have received.
While I do appreciate they've been sending us regular emails, I wouldn't exactly say they have given us any more details or been more forthcoming. It's mostly just the same "we don't know and we're trying to figure it out", but in more words. Still better than nothing, and they have had some good information in there, but not exactly enlightening as far as when we'll be racing again.

On a side note, I'd love some kind of pro only event where they require each athlete to show a negative test before racing. I honestly wouldn't even care if they didn't have a prize purse.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: WTC new ownership moving fast! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
david wrote:

As long as the races in other parts of the world are drawing a good crowd and are profitable, can't see why they would do away with them.

It isn't so much the "doing away" of events but providing the opportunity of lesser or developing triathlon countries from participating in some of the major events like regional champs or world champs..I am super happy to see so many countries involved in racing Ironman.It would just be great to have a better representation of the global interest at the world championship level.

We all know that Kona will never change and that is all good but the process of qualifying and then going to Kona is beyond the financial ability of many athletes around the world.So then we have the 70.3 Champs which to date has been held in the USA 9 of the 14 times it has been run.NZ is unfortunately now going to miss out and so the USA gets its 10th 70.3 World Champs out of 15 races.So many people in developing regions who may have qualified can't afford to go to the USA.....Again!

I remember when the 70.3 Asia Pacific Champs were scheduled to be held in Phuket and registrations were taken.Those athletes from the region signed up only to be told that Ironman had changed its mind and moved the Asia Pacific 70.3 Champs to Auckland instead.So all those athletes who thought they were going to race for a regional champs ended up racing in the watered down Ironman race in Phuket and unable were to afford to fly to Auckland to race the new regional champs. ( It was cancelled because the 800 competitor limit was deemed not worth it.It came back and left again,who knows why)

Out of the 192 M-Dot events, 48 are held in the USA with the remainder of events spread over 50 countries(if you split the UK).The next most popular country being Australia at 11 events followed by France with 8 then Canada and the Philippines with 7 each.So with so much of the M-Dot world still centered in the USA I am left wondering what exactly everyone is talking about when they bitch about "The Chinese" and The Wanda Group.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jul 22, 20 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
Waingro wrote:

You believe that Andrew Messick has suddenly changed the way he does things since he took over in 2011?Ironman has had little regard for the age groupers since well before The Wanda group bought it.

I agree with Messick not changing his colors. Remember his first act as the CEO? I can’t remember what they called it, but you paid 1500.00 and it gave you first dibs to sign up for races to ensure you got in. It got cancelled pretty quickly.

Generally when a company gets bought out the CEO and admin get replaced. Seems to me if the same people are running the company the same results are going to happen over and over. You can’t polish a turd. Isn’t it time for someone new to take over? Why continue with the same guy at the helm? Maybe I’m
missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC new ownership moving fast! [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They did get a significant discount....
Sale price was $780MM, they settled on $380MM to get it done....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
personally don't understand the IM haters.

I get labelled an IM hater all the time here because I criticize the shitty management. First thing new owners should do is clean house of most of the management.
Some of us want a race experience that is more than trying to pick my pocket for a few more dollars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

As long as there are triathletes willing to pay big money for continued diminishing returns from their IM experiences, nothing will change. Come on, from what IM races were to what they are now is a world of difference. Bottom line is that they haven’t put the age group triathlete as anything but a money grab. Those who laud IM because of some nostalgic feeling, some misplaced loyalty, or because they don’t want to feel embarrassed about their corporate logo IM tattoo, just keep feeding the money grab.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC new ownership moving fast! [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
While I do appreciate they've been sending us regular emails, I wouldn't exactly say they have given us any more details or been more forthcoming. It's mostly just the same "we don't know and we're trying to figure it out", but in more words. Still better than nothing, and they have had some good information in there, but not exactly enlightening as far as when we'll be racing again.

On a side note, I'd love some kind of pro only event where they require each athlete to show a negative test before racing. I honestly wouldn't even care if they didn't have a prize purse.

In the communications I've had with them, trying to have with them but still have 2 open tickets, and the comms my athletes have from them, as pro's you guys get it laid out more clearly than age groupers.

They tell you pros don't worry about making travel plans, we have no idea when, where, if we're racing and we will even rebate you pro license minus the rebate fees if you want.

For AG athletes it's the race is still one as long as the county will let us, defer into these 2020 races and/or we'll let you know your options soon.

That would be a cool event though. Negative test, looped course some tv/FB live action!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next