Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL?
Quote | Reply
Meant to share this a few weeks ago. Tri Harder sent the email I have pasted below a little while back, my guess is it went to any and all athletes who have participated in their events, I'm certainly not special. While it's as clear as mud what the future holds, it does appear WTC acquired the R66 70.3. Having done this race a few times, it's a hot day, great swim, fast bike, and challenging run IMO. Really hoping this isn't a buy and cancel approach. Being optimistic, this could bring quite a few more people to an already fun race and central Illinois (from participating in Tri Harder and RMP events) always seemed to be a very welcoming community to bring in athletes for an event. Timing wise however it will occur on the same day as IM Ohio 70.3 in 2018, so timing may change if they keep it for 2019. The venue and course is capable of handling 3000 athletes. Parking would be interesting, there would definitely have to be a shuttle service.

Bottom line, if they run it next year and don't pull the plug, going to have to make it an A race because I've had my ass handed to me twice on that run!

"Greetings Endurance Athletes,

It is with sadness that we share recent developments in the Tri Harder/Tri Smarter Endurance World.

2018 will be the last years for the Route 66 Half Iron Triathlon and the Iron Abe Olympic Triathlon.

After a decade of producing these events we were recently contacted by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) owners of Ironman, Iron Kids, 70.3 and Ironman 70.3, etc. and asked if we could revise our business plan to focus on the grass roots approach to Triathlons while leaving the international, corporate produced Tri's to WTC?

While we are honored to be in the class of WTC events we could not in good faith or efforts continue to produce the Half Iron or Iron Abe events without un-necesary burden to our team and racers.

Therefore THP and Tri Smarter will offer the above events for the final time this year and go out with a BANG.

Think BIKE RAFFLE, helmet give aways and more.

This will be the final year for both events as you currently know them so please come join the Farewell Party and get your collectors shirts, logos and awards before they are gone.

Stay tuned as we finalize the final year plans but don't delay register today for these final events at www.triharderpromotions.com

For 2019 we will focus on the same quality events but both will be revised and fine tuned to allow us a greater focus on what we do best and allow WTC to focus on what they do best.

No need to worry about the fate of both events next year, they will go on but changes will be made to make them bigger and better and more in line with USAT distance definitions and guidelines.

See you soon to say goodbye to our old friends and hello to our new events on July 28th.

Sincerely"

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Jul 10, 18 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m signed up for the 70.3 this year. I’ve noticed the race has recently changed the title from “Route 66 Half Iron” to “Route 66 Half Distance Triathlon”—-wonder if WTC is just demanding a name change. I received the message from the race as well—it seems rather vague to me. I’m very interested to see what this means for the future of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [triguy1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1984 wrote:
wonder if WTC is just demanding a name change. I received the message from the race as well—it seems rather vague to me.

This was my interpretation as well....but maybe it's because I'm so anti WTC. However, they made it clear it's the last year of their 70.3 distance race and another event would be in its place.

I'm thinking of coming down from Rockford again for the "last" event since the local race I was signed up for got canceled. Did you guys race in 2015? I think all 3 of us would have been in the same age group then.
Last edited by: dangle: Jul 10, 18 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“and asked if we could revise our business plan to focus on the grass roots approach to Triathlons while leaving the international, corporate produced Tri's to WTC? ”

What does this mean?
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced the 70.3 in 2016 but not 2015. The race is in my hometown!
Last edited by: triguy1984: Jul 10, 18 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [triguy1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am convinced that race will be gone in 5 years. :-(
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

That could be said of most Illinois races. I just don't get it here.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should not have said “convinced”, actually really want to be wrong
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I should not have said “convinced”, actually really want to be wrong

Me too. I usually do a couple new non-WTC events each year in the upper Midwest. Route 66 in Springfield, IL and Superiorman in Duluth, MN are probably my two favorite 70.3 distance events up here. You could tell that the race directors put their heart and soul into those events.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got this too and nothing fully adds up and is either intentional vague or very poorly written. I have done all of these guys events over the years and they do a good job and the RD is a really nice guy. My guess would be that WTC bought the half and in the agreement was a block against anything Olympic distance or longer that could compete with a half. Its a good venue I would imagine WTC would revise the bike and run course to make it less all over the place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Herbert wrote:

That could be said of most Illinois races. I just don't get it here.

I got my start to triathlon in Springfield IL. Found memories of ungodly night summer runs training for Ironman Wisconsin 2006. Even jumped in the water fountain outside of the LRS building on West Monroe to cool off. Loved racing locally in and around Springfield.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I got my start to triathlon in Springfield IL. Found memories of ungodly night summer runs training for Ironman Wisconsin 2006. Even jumped in the water fountain outside of the LRS building on West Monroe to cool off. Loved racing locally in and around Springfield.

We paid you better in Rockford though :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with all the above regarding the RD. I've raced R66 the past 2 years and this year my wife an I drove out and raced Tri Harder's Railsplitter. For a smaller production they really do a great job.

If I wasn't in Ohio already I would jump in for this year. Fingers crossed 2019.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turns out WTC didn't acquire them, they hit them with a lawsuit (edit: maybe a cease and desist? The term used was "take them to court" and I'm only well-versed in bird law) for their use of "half iron" in an an event the same distance as a Half Ironman 70.3 race. There's no way an outfit that small can fight back, so I'm guessing the outcome will be a similar event with a different name if they come back.

Just another one to add to my box of reasons that I won't pay for a WTC race anymore.
Last edited by: dangle: Jul 15, 18 19:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They probably should also not be using the term "Olympic" in the official name of a race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to defend WTC but I believe this has come up here before. If I remember correctly, if WTC doesnt defend their trademark their trademark can become void. So yes it sucks that theyre going after a small race, but they have to so if someone major starts trying to use it they can show that they are consistently maintaining it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"asked if we could revise our business plan to focus on the grass roots approach to Triathlons while leaving the international, corporate produced Tri's to WTC?"
Every time I read this, I hear it in Marlon Brando's Don Corleone voice. "Let's be reasonable about this and come to some accommodation"

Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Not to defend WTC but I believe this has come up here before. If I remember correctly, if WTC doesnt defend their trademark their trademark can become void. So yes it sucks that theyre going after a small race, but they have to so if someone major starts trying to use it they can show that they are consistently maintaining it.

I really like IM events but I would love to see someone with some money take them to court over the use of half-ironman or half-iron distance, because it's not so much that they have to defend their trademark as that they constantly try to EXPAND their trademark. They've lost before when challenged in court...most notably IronLady which IIRC is/was some sort of perfume that predated Ironman. So WTC had to settle for IronGirl.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:

That seems to make sense. Trademarks are way out of my knowledge base. The use of terms like 'half iron' are incredibly prevalent though. WTC seems to believe that any use of that is an infringement on them? Typing 'half iron' triathlon gave me 7 non-WTC events on the first page and linked to TriFind which uses that term to find events. Do all these small(ish) events get a nasty letter and decide to give in instead of spend $$$ they don't have to fight back?

This 2001 article (one part of a series) by Dan answered a few of the questions I had - https://www.slowtwitch.com/...e_trademark_272.html.

It seems that Square Lake's "70.3" triathlon as part of their "Challenge Series" should be expecting at least one letter. Then again, there's a LOT of "half iron" events out there. Maybe WTC will be able to trademark "Man" used in anything if they have already been able to protect "Iron."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I don’t know where the line is drawn for them. I just believe there was someone who was a lawyer discussing it once in here and that was the jist of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Yeah I don’t know where the line is drawn for them. I just believe there was someone who was a lawyer discussing it once in here and that was the jist of it.

I wonder that too. WTC has the trademark for Half Ironman but not Half Iron. The similarity is obvious but it's not identical. I wonder if the "half iron" organizer took WTC to court how it would turn out. Unrealistic given the financial inability to fight WTC in court but hypothetically speaking.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I wonder if the "half iron" organizer took WTC to court how it would turn out. Unrealistic given the financial inability to fight WTC in court but hypothetically speaking.

They did/are not. Money was exactly what they said.

There are similar trademark infringement suits from WTC all over a basic Google search. Makes me wonder if the reason they can't pay their pro racers is because they are spending all their money on lawyers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I think will happen. WTC will put on a 70.3 and this will create interest and awareness in the sport in the area which will help Tri Harder who puts on a crap load of events of which their 70.3 was a very small part. Here's why I think so.

Go to the IM page with the picture of North America and the events offered and you'll notice a large unserved area in the middle of the USA. There used to be a 70.3 in Kansas which was cancelled. The rumor was they would host one in St. Louis. I think the problem in St Louis was lack of support by the municipalities affected. So Springfield solves the problem. At least that's my hope. As a old slow very BOP person it's nice doing an event with 1500 plus people once in a while because there are more of my kind around. Not so lonely towards the end of the event.

Had my fingers crossed for St Louis, guess I'll cross them for Springfield now.

TRIATHLON ART FOR YOUR PAIN CAVE: https://tinyurl.com/ydefvjhq
Quote Reply
Re: WTC acquires Tri Harder's Route 66 70.3.... 2019 Ironman 70.3 Springfield, IL? [slowbutmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be the last year to get the highly coveted Iron Abe and Rt 66 Half Iron shirts. While Tri Harder will continue to produce these events in future years, we will be developing new names/logos for next years' event
Quote Reply

Prev Next