Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WR rules / swimming
Quote | Reply
If you set a WR (or team record!) in heat one and then in the next heat the time is eclipsed, did you set a record? Any example of this? I know prelims swims count as records when they are broken in finals.
Quote Reply
Re: WR rules / swimming [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. For the time between the swims, you were the fastest.

Having never been in this situation, it is probably oddly satisfying and disappointing at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: WR rules / swimming [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it has happened, I’m guessing it did in championship meets in the super suit era 2008/9 or in mid 1970s when swimming world record times were dropping dramatically due to advances in training. I think the first guy to break 4:00 in 400M free did it in US Olympic prelims, then didn’t make the team in the finals.
Quote Reply
Re: WR rules / swimming [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of related. I'm a high school swimming coach.

Three years ago at State Prelims my medley relay broke the school record. My flyer was a freshman and she knew that for finals I was going to be replacing her. The replacement was 1.5 seconds faster but was also in the 200 free which is the event right after the medley. I wanted the give her the best shot to qualify for the A final in the 200 free.

I did NOT think we would be in position in prelims to break the record. But they did. Man did I feel terrible taking her out. But it's what's best for the team. They then rebroke the record two days later at finals by about 2 seconds.

The faster flyer told me she would be ok if I put the original relay on the record board for a good amount of time so the original flyer would be able to see it.

I also had a small plaque made for the original flyer from the local trophy shop.

Fast forward two years to this year..the original flyer helps our 200 free relay to achieve All State status. Swim karma is great!

Sorry for the long story.
Last edited by: klorene: Dec 5, 20 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say yes, but maybe not officially.
Not sure of current processes, but I remember that records had to be certified including pool measurements.
So, certification would probably not be done before the newer record.
But yeah, for those few hours or whatever that was a new record.
Quote Reply
Re: WR rules / swimming [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
Kind of related. I'm a high school swimming coach.

Three years ago at State Prelims my medley relay broke the school record. My flyer was a freshman and she knew that for finals I was going to be replacing her. The replacement was 1.5 seconds faster but was also in the 200 free which is the event right after the medley. I wanted the give her the best shot to qualify for the A final in the 200 free.

I did NOT think we would be in position in prelims to break the record. But they did. Man did I feel terrible taking her out. But it's what's best for the team. They then rebroke the record two days later at finals by about 2 seconds.

The faster flyer told me she would be ok if I put the original relay on the record board for a good amount of time so the original flyer would be able to see it.

I also had a small plaque made for the original flyer from the local trophy shop.

Fast forward two years to this year..the original flyer helps our 200 free relay to achieve All State status. Swim karma is great!

Sorry for the long story.

Cool story and good for you having that plaque made. I'll bet that it meant a lot to that young girl and still does. She might have dropped out of swimming otherwise, and then wouldn't have been there for this year's free relay.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: WR rules / swimming [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I love stories like that. Here is what prompted this query,

Sons team record for 100 back is 1:07.39. Son went a 1:07.46 a month ago. He went a 1:06.81 in prelims in heat one but then a teammate went a 1:05.99 in the very next heat.

In finals son went a 1:05.60 but same kid went 1:05.2 to defend his record.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Sons team record for 100 back is 1:07.39. Son went a 1:07.46 a month ago. He went a 1:06.81 in prelims in heat one but then a teammate went a 1:05.99 in the very next heat.

Hmmm, well, sounds like he is just getting slightly out-swum. But he's what, 12??? So lots of time to catch his teammate. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

Sounds like a great battle. Being teammates they should be pushing each other to bring out their best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's definitely happened (often at Olympic trials in Semi's), it's definitely official until someone else breaks it.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: WR rules / swimming [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
It's definitely happened (often at Olympic trials in Semi's), it's definitely official until someone else breaks it.

You have an example? I was looking through a few of the record books, and I couldn’t find any where the record was broken twice in the same heats or semis session.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1997 Winter Nationals in Halifax- Swimming Canada gave us credit in the record progression list but only issued the certificates for those who swam in the finals. We swapped 2 swimmers to ensure we had 2 relays in the final and I was on the B team in the finals.

At times we would play with our relay lineup to maximize team points and we had up to 4 relays in Finals. I ended up on team Donkey in 99 and we ended up 8th and ABC went 1-2-3.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: WR rules / swimming [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked and found women’s 400IM world record set twice on same day by 2 different swimmer in 1962 with Donna DeVarona breaking the one set earlier in the day.
Quote Reply
Re: WR rules / swimming [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PowerPlay wrote:
I looked and found women’s 400IM world record set twice on same day by 2 different swimmer in 1962 with Donna DeVarona breaking the one set earlier in the day.

Wow, you really dug deep here, back to 1962!!! Did you use the USA Swimming web site???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, I remember this now that I thought about it: 2003 world champs 100 fly. Serdinov in heat 1 goes 51.7, Phelps goes 51.5 in heat two. And neither held the record after the finals the next day!

I looked and wiki has serdinov as the record holder. Not sure where the official list is held?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Alright, I remember this now that I thought about it: 2003 world champs 100 fly. Serdinov in heat 1 goes 51.7, Phelps goes 51.5 in heat two. And neither held the record after the finals the next day!

I looked and wiki has Serdinov as the record holder. Not sure where the official list is held?

Wouldn't FINA have the official list??? And sadly, I do not remember Serdinov.

Quote Reply
Re: WR rules / swimming [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:

You have an example? I was looking through a few of the record books, and I couldn’t find any where the record was broken twice in the same heats or semis session.

Fair enough, I guess if they don't keep it in record books it's not official. I know there's been some records broken in multiple heats, but I can't guarantee that it was a WR vs AR or OT record.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - and you'd be drug tested if at a major comp. Because if the 2nd person fails their test - you'd be the record holder. This scenario seems plausible to me in a Semi Final 1, Semi Final 2 scenario.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:

Fair enough, I guess if they don't keep it in record books it's not official. I know there's been some records broken in multiple heats, but I can't guarantee that it was a WR vs AR or OT record.

ajthomas found an example above, I vaguely remember that now, but I wasn't sure if both Phelps and the other guy were given credit for holding the record. 100 fly record broken 3 times in the same meet - Serdinov (semi #1) to Phelps (semi #2) to Crocker (final).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: WR rules / swimming [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

I looked and wiki has Serdinov as the record holder. Not sure where the official list is held?

Wouldn't FINA have the official list??? And sadly, I do not remember Serdinov.

I only remembered because I was watching Phelps v Crocker in 2004 two weeks ago.

Anyhow, If you go to the FINA website you can pull up the top times from any given year and thus - from 2003 - fina does officially recognize serdinovs 51.76 as a world record. So question answered.

And interestingly enough, I saw that Jason Dunfords 51.14 was recognized as the Olympic record in 2008 when he did it in heat 7. In heat 9 3 guys went faster.
Quote Reply