Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
WR - 100m and 50m free
Quote | Reply
Not all frenchies are small...
Alain Bernard just broke the WR over 100m and 50m free at the Euro champs, long course.

As for those here who think, the French are only after American bike riders, whether AB is clean
or not is the main topic of discussion over there...
Quote Reply
Re: WR - 100m and 50m free [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw that yesterday. Dude is a monster! I'm guessing that boy has hit the weight stack a time or two.

I'd never seen a french swimmer before. I was expecting a cap that looked like a beret and a horizontally-striped body suit!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: WR - 100m and 50m free [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He swims 12km a day, in 2 sessions + 3 weight sessions a week.
one day is off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, we have ONE thing in common.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to admit I am a bit surprised he was able to break 3 world records (2 times in a row 100M, then 50 M) in such a short interval....

Let's see if he can confirm in Beijing!

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He swims 12km a day [6 days a week]
That is undoubtedly more than many of us *run* in one week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the women's side, Dutchwoman Marleen Veldhuis just took down the 50M free record. Veldhuis has always been presumed clean, so I'll say it's nice to see an iffy record there go off the books. (Not getting into the drug angle, but rather Inky probably should have been charged with a false start when she set the previous record)
Quote Reply
Re: WR - 100m and 50m free [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And another WR from the womens. WRs are falling all over the place!

Marleen Veldhuis Clips 50 Free World Record
EINDHOVEN, Netherlands, March 24. THE European Championships kept rolling as the Netherlands went 1-2 in the women’s 50 free to start the final day of action – including a world-record swim from Marleen Veldhuis in the sprint free event.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why?

A 50m/100m is really not very stressful from a recovery required perspective.

I've seen more examples then I can count of swimmers setting Personal/School/Pool/Conference/* Records in an AM prelims sessions, going home taking a nap, and coming back in 8 hours later and swimming faster.

Don't forget when swimmers taper for a meet they are generally swimming 1 race/session 4+ hours apart, with some warmup before each session, and lunch and a nap inbetween sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: WR - 100m and 50m free [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here, we're talking about guys going under 48secs for 100m free, long course...the comparison to high school etc does not really stand...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahem -- sprinters record higher blood lactate levels after a race than a 1500 swimmer. recovery is in the past training and the warm-downs after races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"He swims 12km a day, in 2 sessions "

But each session only takes him 50 minutes...:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a video link to watch these yet?

Trev

Trev Williams
http://www.thedoctrine.ca
Quote Reply
Re: WR - 100m and 50m free [tri-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXlbiY37XU

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap. I just watched it on youtube, dude's lats are like exploding out of the armpits of his speedsuit.

Quote | Reply
I understand what you are saying, but I don't understand quite what you mean - can you elaborate a bit?

I pretty much meant to say that a properly traing 50/100 swimmer, is going to do a solid warm up, turn into Konan for 19-50 seconds (depending on SC vs. LC) - cool down properly, and go eat/sleep and repeat at the next session. IOW - for the most part, completely within the realm of reason to swim very, very fast repeatedly for a few days.
Quote Reply
Re: WR - 100m and 50m free [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And another WR... what are they putting in the water over there?

From swimmingworldmagazine.com:
Federica Pellegrini Smashes 400 Free World Record
EINDHOVEN, Netherlands, March 24. THE second world record of the day fell at the European Championships as Italy’s Federica Pellegrini blasted the women’s 400 free record shortly after Marleen Veldhuis clipped the women’s 50 free.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like in the youtube vid it's all foreign until he blurts, "and its new world record" in english. I'm so jealous that the euros learn multiple languages almost from birth. I wish our culture pushed that more.
Quote Reply
Re: WR - 100m and 50m free [Flak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[I'm so jealous that the euros learn multiple languages almost from birth.]
Where????
in UK, where they speak only English?
in France, where they only speak French?
in Spain, where the they only speak Spanish?
in Italy, where they only speak Italian?
Now, if you are talking about Germany, The Netherlands, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, they you may have a point since they also speak English...

Fred...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These new suits from Speedo are clearly going to make a huge difference going into the Olympics... I think we're going to see a few other records not just broken, but shattered.....

Also, over 15 pounds or pure muscle added in the past 1 year? That's a lot....

"I ain't never been nothin' but a winner"
Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not saying you cannot pull two, or even three, great races in a very short period of time.
However, we are talking world record times here where everything needs to be perfect or a deficiency needs to be compensated by something else (i.e. not perfect technique compensated by "extra strength" for example)

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This picture makes his technique look very strange..

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The average person in all of those countries can speak multiple languages.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have to admit I am a bit surprised he was able to break 3 world records (2 times in a row 100M, then 50 M) in such a short interval....

Let's see if he can confirm in Beijing!

Fred.
That's not all that surprising. It's not that unusual for swimmers to swim multiple PRs over the course of the same meet, even swimming PRs in the prelims and the finals. After all, not that many swimmers can take it easy and make the finals. In my last meet, I swam career best times in all my events (500, 400 IM, 1650 (1000 split also a career best), swimming PRs in prelims and finals in the 500 and 400 IM, and also PRed my 200 free on the 4 x 200 relay in about 48 hours. Here's something really impressive. My HS championship meet swam prelims in all events in the morning and finals at night. Senior year, I saw a guy set the American national prep school record in the 200 in prelims, break it in the finals in the 200, set the national prep record in the 100 fly in the morning, just missed going faster at night and then swam the fastest 100 free in the country that year to lead off his school's 4 x 100 free relay, which also set a national prep record. That was quite a day's work.
Last edited by: CTL: Mar 24, 08 17:03
Quote Reply

Prev Next