Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WKO5
Quote | Reply
Announcement coming tomorrow it looks like. Been wondering why there hasn’t been any updates in a while to WKO4.

https://www.wko5.com/

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/wko5/

blog
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been toying with it a bit...information overload
https://home.trainingpeaks.com/wko5/downloadtrial
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one thing I want in training software are power profiles for my Trainer, TT Bike, and Road / CX bike.

I know many coaches and experts claim this is no big deal, but they also claim you have to hit very specific percentages to get adaptation. My best 20 minute power on my trainer is 11% worse than outside. On my TT Bike its probably 5%. For someone that does 50/50 indoor / outdoor everything is skewed; TSS is wrong, Times in Zone, etc. Its a 20w difference; sweet spot on the trainer is basically at FTP.

Maybe someone has this, if they do they have my business.
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My trial is updating right now. I see that weight finally comes over to wko5 automatically. That always drove me crazy about wko4.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
... but they also claim you have to hit very specific percentages to get adaptation.
Time for a new coach.
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very easily done by creating a tag for the ride and creating charts based on those tags. I have done this since WKO2 to differentiate between ride types and different bikes.

WKO5 is even better in this regard as you can copy entire rider profiles, like you used to in 2 and 3, and easily transfer them from rider to rider. You could possibly do this in WKO4 but I didn't see it (and didn't actually ask), so was just adding new dashboards or charts one at a time.

Hamish

furiousferret wrote:
The one thing I want in training software are power profiles for my Trainer, TT Bike, and Road / CX bike.

I know many coaches and experts claim this is no big deal, but they also claim you have to hit very specific percentages to get adaptation. My best 20 minute power on my trainer is 11% worse than outside. On my TT Bike its probably 5%. For someone that does 50/50 indoor / outdoor everything is skewed; TSS is wrong, Times in Zone, etc. Its a 20w difference; sweet spot on the trainer is basically at FTP.

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwicoach wrote:
Very easily done by creating a tag for the ride and creating charts based on those tags. I have done this since WKO2 to differentiate between ride types and different bikes.

WKO5 is even better in this regard as you can copy entire rider profiles, like you used to in 2 and 3, and easily transfer them from rider to rider. You could possibly do this in WKO4 but I didn't see it (and didn't actually ask), so was just adding new dashboards or charts one at a time.

Hamish

furiousferret wrote:

Awesome, thanks for the tips!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grr. Only bought wko4 last year after finally upgrading from 3.0.

Must admit I've not found it easy to get my head around wko4 in the way I did with wko3.

Not sure if I should throw more $at it and cut losses learning 4 and go to 5 or stick with it.
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:

Must admit I've not found it easy to get my head around wko4 in the way I did with wko3.

Not sure if I should throw more $at it and cut losses learning 4 and go to 5 or stick with it.

I've had WKO4 for a while now, but decided to download the trial version. I kind of like WKO5 at a first glance. I had the same thoughts as you though and yet now I am slightly leaning toward jumping on the discounted price if I get the email today or whenever it is officially released. I also feel the same way where I really liked the simplicity of WKO3 and it has taken me a while to realize that I don't have to add every chart created. Once I reduce it down to the basic few it can be a lot like WKO3 with some other benefits. I am not sure why but when I first opened WKO5 and it loaded all my data from the WKO4 folder it kind of had a WKO3 feel to it. But it certainly not WKO3.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by kbd [ In reply to ]
Re: WKO5 [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
I bought WKO4 less than a month ago. I wish that they would have given me a heads up that 5 was so close to being released.

Same here, typically software companies will provide a free, or at least reduced price upgrade for recent purchases. Has anyone seen anything like that?
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
kbd wrote:
I bought WKO4 less than a month ago. I wish that they would have given me a heads up that 5 was so close to being released.

Same here, typically software companies will provide a free, or at least reduced price upgrade for recent purchases. Has anyone seen anything like that?

I've seen it mentioned there would be a discount for existing wko users that should come via e-mail.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think that is the ability to create dashboards and profiles that are easily shared among riders rather than having to go through each athlete and add charts and dashboards individually.

Also loving segments, will end the need to bounce back and forth between WKO and Strava.

dFRC, will see ;)

Felt_Rider wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

I've had WKO4 for a while now, but decided to download the trial version. I kind of like WKO5 at a first glance. I had the same thoughts as you though and yet now I am slightly leaning toward jumping on the discounted price if I get the email today or whenever it is officially released. I also feel the same way where I really liked the simplicity of WKO3 and it has taken me a while to realize that I don't have to add every chart created. Once I reduce it down to the basic few it can be a lot like WKO3 with some other benefits. I am not sure why but when I first opened WKO5 and it loaded all my data from the WKO4 folder it kind of had a WKO3 feel to it. But it certainly not WKO3.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, there will be.

stevej wrote:
tomljones3 wrote:
kbd wrote:

I've seen it mentioned there would be a discount for existing wko users that should come via e-mail.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by kbd [ In reply to ]
Re: WKO5 [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email them and let them know, might surprise you with a code for a free update
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some nice updates in WKO5 Build 550:
TrainingPeaks wrote:
WKO5 Release Notes
Build 550 (2019-Nov-27)

New Features
New Indoor Bike sport type and separate FTP settings for indoor bike.

Updates
Support for multi-sport .fit files.
Support for optical/alternate heart rate in .fit files.
Detect and remove power spikes.
Except that the new "Prevent multiple instances of WKO from running at the same time on the same computer" "fix" prevents the app from even launching once (first-time download of the trial; first-time ever launch of the app):

"Anther instance of WKO is already running. Exiting now."
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
"Anther instance of WKO is already running. Exiting now."
Workaround (macOS):

• download & install WKO5 Build 543 app
  • complete initial set-up with Build 543 app (or quit immediately, as launching the app even once successfully looks to be enough to prime whatever was missed)
  • switch to WKO Build 550 app
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here’s what I would love for WKO5: allow sFTP to be an independent variable rather than a dependent one.

Here’s why. I’m a former 5k runner and for whatever reason, I’m still a lot like that now: my 10 to 30 minute power is strong. This results in a modeled FTP that’s pretty high, like 330 watts.

However, blood oxygen and physiological tests have confirmed that my actual MLSS at the time was more like 250 to 270. Before testing, sweet spot and zone 4 used to destroy me. Tempo was a recipe for immediate overtraining. I didn’t know why. Post testing, it was clear I was unwittingly going too hard.

As you imagine, the reason was that the whole physiological profile therefor is wrong at the longer durations. would love it if I could set the FTP myself as one of the inputs and let the software model the profile around it. As it currently stands for WKO4, your power data are the only inputs.

Is that a feature?
Last edited by: devolikewhoa83: Dec 4, 19 15:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to installing WKO5 in it's own folder (not sharing the previous install of WKO4)?
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [r_mutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don’t have an answer but the wko power users group in facebook is a great resource.

r
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [raulsan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: WKO5 [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devolikewhoa83 wrote:
Here’s what I would love for WKO5: allow sFTP to be an independent variable rather than a dependent one.

Here’s why. I’m a former 5k runner and for whatever reason, I’m still a lot like that now: my 10 to 30 minute power is strong. This results in a modeled FTP that’s pretty high, like 330 watts.

However, blood oxygen and physiological tests have confirmed that my actual MLSS at the time was more like 250 to 270. Before testing, sweet spot and zone 4 used to destroy me. Tempo was a recipe for immediate overtraining. I didn’t know why. Post testing, it was clear I was unwittingly going too hard.

As you imagine, the reason was that the whole physiological profile therefor is wrong at the longer durations. would love it if I could set the FTP myself as one of the inputs and let the software model the profile around it. As it currently stands for WKO4, your power data are the only inputs.

Is that a feature?

You might find this interesting.

https://medium.com/...tp-real-cc57045cbde3

What was your TTE at 330 watts?
Last edited by: Robert Estienne: Jun 6, 20 8:09
Quote Reply