Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WETSUIT DILEMMA
Quote | Reply
I AM DOING THE LA TRIATHLON IN TWO WEEKS. I HAVE AN ORCA PREDATOR FULL WETSUIT BUT MY ARM MOVEMENT IS CONSTRICTED. I AM THINKING THAT SINCE THE WATER TEMP IS SUPPOSED TO BE AROUND 68 THAT I MIGHT BE OK TO SWIM IN A SLEEVELESS WETSUIT. I AM DOING THE OLYMPIC DISTANCE AND THIS IS MY FIRST TRI. ANY OTHER SWIM SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED. THANKS Y
Quote Reply
Re: WETSUIT DILEMMA [verwye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the water is 68 you will have no problems with a sleeveless wetsuit. That is all that I own and I've done a ton of races in it where the water has been in the 60s without any problems. If you feel more comfortable in a sleeveless wetsuit then I'd recommend using it instead of the fullsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: WETSUIT DILEMMA [verwye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... the key reason you feel more comfortable in a sleeveless is because the sleeveless doesn't fit properly. Once you have a wetsuit that fits properly, this dilema will no longer be a problem.

Sleeveless is OK, but wetsuit with sleeves are faster... In fact, wetsuits (in most cases) are not worn because of water temperature. Instead, they are worn because they give you a distinct swim efficiency and time advantage.

FWIW Joe Moya

BTW, do a search of this NG sight - keywords wetsuit or T1 . You will find some excellent wetsuit information.
Last edited by: Joe M: Aug 28, 03 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: WETSUIT DILEMMA [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you so sure his suit doesn't fit properly? Just curious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Re: WETSUIT DILEMMA [kategt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... perhaps I should correct my post by saying it is highly probable that it is the fit.

The various full wetsuits I have worn in the past 15 yrs. or so have had many different characteristics (specially before materials and designs became more refined for triathlons useage). Among those different wetsuits, a consistent characteristic of a long sleeve wetsuits that doesn't fit is that it will also not feel comfortable. Of course, there is a chance that someone who has not experienced many different wetsuit designs may not realize that a poor fit results in a poor swim (as well as being uncomfortable). Because of the high expense associated with wetsuits, it's not uncommon that comparison of different wetsuit designs is difficult. In fact, you simply assume that the wetsuit design is at fault. And, that a full suit is not an advantage.

My experience has been that it is not the design but rather it's usually the fit. Some body types simply can't fit into a full wetsuit. However, with the advent of the DeSotto T1, the poor fit problem with Long sleeve wetsuits has been mostly overcome for most people. The other solution is to go sleeveless. The key reason fit is the problem has to do with the overhead stretch restictions incurred during the swim stroke. This restriction results when the ability to raise the arms over the head during a swim stroke gets shortened. This shortening of stroke (resulting shoulder fatique and/or overall arm fatique) is a common complaint among long sleeve wetsuit owners whose body type doesn't fit into the particular wetsuit design they are wearing. This arm constriction problem is usually solved with a sleeveless or T1 wetsuit.

I prefer the full T1 because it doesn't constrict my arm movement as much as all other full wetsuits I have worn (but, any well fitting long sleeve shouldn't make your arm to fatiquing for oly distance or short tris). However, the sleeveless is definately more comfortable that the T1 but I like the added bouyance and faster time advantages of the T1. The trade off is that the T1 is more difficult to remove (and requires more effort) than the Piel wetsuit. Therefore, I use the T1 for longer course triathlons (where transition times are less important and comfort is more important) and the Piel for short course triathlons (where transition times are of more importance).

I can never be sure it's the fit... but, I would say the probably is extremely high that it is the fit.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply