Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vote: Greatest All-Time Endurance Athlete?
Quote | Reply
ESPN is has put the Greatest All-Time Endurance Athlete to a vote including Mark Allen among others. That former cyclist did not make the list...

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/poll/_/id/4870/greatest-all-time-endurance-athlete
Last edited by: bigendurance: Nov 26, 12 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Vote: Greatest All-Time Endurance Athlete? [bigendurance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the story that was reported by the German journalists a few weeks ago is confirmed, they'll have to remove Makau from the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for Roger Bannister...the rest of just follow in the footsteps of his achievements. Must have been a special time living in England in the early 50's when Hillary and Tenzing did Everest and Bannister did the sub 4 mile.

I don't think we'll have a single year like that in our lives!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigendurance wrote:
ESPN is has put the Greatest All-Time Endurance Athlete to a vote including Mark Allen among others. That former cyclist did not make the list...

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/poll/_/id/4870/greatest-all-time-endurance-athlete

Interesting that they included Mark Allen. When I voted (for Bjorn), the followup blurb said that the multisport category would be opening Nov 29.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many regular ESPNers even know who these people are. I voted for Allen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wrote-in Ted Corbitt.

Quote | Reply
bigendurance wrote:

Where is Richard Petty. He won 200 500 mile races
Quote Reply
Re: Vote: Greatest All-Time Endurance Athlete? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
typically the term athlete is reserved for those who use their own muscle power to move themselves (and/or others) through time and space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All things considered: Sister Madonna Buder as a write in.
Quote Reply
Re: Vote: Greatest All-Time Endurance Athlete? [dstu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shackleton and the Endurance crew shipwrecked in Antartica.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Where's Beryl Burton?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't believe Yiannis Kouros isn't on the list.

Equally, I can't believe Pam Reed is. Could probably come up with a dozen more highly credentialed female ultrarunners off the top of my head, and even more men as well. Unfortunately or coincidentally, like Kouros, none except Ann Trason would be US athletes, nor have they run Badwater.
Last edited by: satanellus: Nov 26, 12 15:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigendurance wrote:

...it sucks that they can't consider Chrissie Wellington. She came and she conquered and honestly, who can compare? A female getting an ESPN AT award? I really think in terms of dominance, she is/was one of the best. But to be honest, before LA, I never had interest in one single endurance sport. I wanted to surf and be a badass and I really liked the attitude in him. But, we now know the truth and the fact be known, I bet 50% of st'ers can trace their endurance birth in and around the LA'era.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PRE !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ann Trason.

End of thread.

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<Duck>

Lance Armstrong!

Debi Bernardes

Owner, UCANDOIT Coaching Group, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In their list of 5 candidates: 3 Americans, and 2 from the rest of the world (1 each from Kenya and Norway).

... so not worth taking seriously.

Zatopek, anybody? Merckx or Coppi?
Quote Reply
Re: Vote: Greatest All-Time Endurance Athlete? [DebiB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DebiB wrote:
<Duck>

Lance Armstrong!

Love or hate him...
Quote Reply
Re: Vote: Greatest All-Time Endurance Athlete? [Sohan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would have loved to see Ann Trason race against more of the top women of her era. Did she ever race outside of the US besides her two Comrades wins (and one DNF) and wins at the World 100 km in '88 in Spain and again in '95 in the Netherlands?

While she was undeniably brilliant and astoundingly dominant, particularly on the US trail scene, how do you go past Kouros as the greatest ultra runner of all time?
Quote Reply
Re: Vote: Greatest All-Time Endurance Athlete? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Would have loved to see Ann Trason race against more of the top women of her era. Did she ever race outside of the US besides her two Comrades wins (and one DNF) and wins at the World 100 km in '88 in Spain and again in '95 in the Netherlands?

While she was undeniably brilliant and astoundingly dominant, particularly on the US trail scene, how do you go past Kouros as the greatest ultra runner of all time?

----

You go past Yiannis on lists like this because he isn't American.The guy is a dead set legend and a hero to the Greek population in Oz. He is still at it and is winning ultra races to this day.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Vote: Greatest All-Time Endurance Athlete? [Tri or Die] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri or Die wrote:
bigendurance wrote:

...it sucks that they can't consider Chrissie Wellington. She came and she conquered and honestly, who can compare? A female getting an ESPN AT award? I really think in terms of dominance, she is/was one of the best. But to be honest, before LA, I never had interest in one single endurance sport. I wanted to surf and be a badass and I really liked the attitude in him. But, we now know the truth and the fact be known, I bet 50% of st'ers can trace their endurance birth in and around the LA'era.

From the site after you vote:

Quote:
Check back Thursday, Nov. 29, when we will reveal the winner of the greatest endurance athlete of all time and open the voting in the multisport category.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom Crean. Hands down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on we all know anyone who does crossfit is better than the best endurance athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next