Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Volume training to NO training - Physiological Complications?
Quote | Reply
I was just curious to know if anyone had any experience in this area. My question is, are there or can there be complications or physical responses when one goes from higher volume training, (15-18 hours/week) to NOTHING at all in a short period of time? Aside from depression, has anyone read about or experienced any complications that this kind of "shock" effect can have on the body.

Secondly, I know it depends on several factors, but how long would it take to recover from a severe case of being overtrained? I've read that in severe cases, it may take up to 3 month's.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Volume training to NO training - Physiological Complications? [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was just curious to know if anyone had any experience in this area. My question is, are there or can there be complications or physical responses when one goes from higher volume training, (15-18 hours/week) to NOTHING at all in a short period of time? Aside from depression, has anyone read about or experienced any complications that this kind of "shock" effect can have on the body.

Secondly, I know it depends on several factors, but how long would it take to recover from a severe case of being overtrained? I've read that in severe cases, it may take up to 3 month's.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks!

I'm curious about WHY you dropped your training like this, if indeed you did. I assume you're posting this question because that's what you're experiencing. So am I.

Since Feb. 28 I've been sick. I won't got into details because I'm tired of those, but suffice to say that every time I think I'm recovered it comes back again. So far I have noticed that I actually lost weight at first, but in the last week I gained a lot of weight. I tried working out during week two after 10 days completely off, but wasn't going anywhere with it and decided to just rest.

Both Joe Friel in the Triathlete's Training Bible and Jack Daniels in Daniels' Running Formula address illness and conditioning a bit. Some studies have found that up to a month off entirely doesn't affect athletes that much. At least that's what I'm hoping.

The mental side is another thing entirely. I'm going nuts and I suppose my self-confidence (vis-a-vis training and racing) has been shattered pretty well. The longer I'm out of action the taller the mental wall that's building, telling me I've lost my fitness and ruined my season. I know I have a good base from some great weeks of training, but it's still hard not to doubt.

Sorry this is all anecdotal and not scientific. If you're overtrained you could have done some damage to your immune system. That could take more than just one month to restore balance. Peter Reid needed seven weeks completely off, but he was out of sorts for months before that.

American's are definately infekting the world with there English grammer.
Quote Reply
Re: Volume training to NO training - Physiological Complications? [tri_taiwan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From 3-4 swims, 3 runs and 4 bikes a week to absolutely nothing 2 weeks ago tomorrow.

Was barely able to walk for 1 week and I am still incredibly sore.

I have DCA in what? 90 days, not one long bike in a month.

Not worried about the swim or actually completing the distance but I think that my goals need to be adjusted towards later in the season for anything performance related.

It might turn out that I simply have to be content with finishing especially if this does not clear up.

I dont know what I have lost but I know it has set me back a bit, I am going to try swimming this week and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Volume training to NO training - Physiological Complications? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're in the same boat, mate. I'm signed up for IM Japan and aside from praying this bug goes away I am now down to weighing just finishing vs. the cost of traveling to and within Japan at a time when I really need to save my pennies. Had a fever last night but am determined to take an easy spin shortly.

Hope you get better soon.

American's are definately infekting the world with there English grammer.
Quote Reply
Re: Volume training to NO training - Physiological Complications? [tri_taiwan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'll go and finish, not worried about that and concentrate on the Ozarks and the Chicago marathon.

Fluid on the lungs and it hurts like a mo fo
Quote Reply
Re: Volume training to NO training - Physiological Complications? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shooting for KK's time? :-))
Quote Reply
Re: Volume training to NO training - Physiological Complications? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I figure I'd pace him through half way and then drop him like a bad habit at about mile 24 with a 4.43...

You knokw just turn it up a little :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he's a heel striker anyway, what does he know! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Volume training to NO training - Physiological Complications? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well he dropped out of London, the real question is will he run Chicago and the US marathon trials?

His dropping of Tergat last year was ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from 15-20k swimming, 200k biking, 15-30k running a week to zip when I dislocated a vertabre in my neck last week. On top of that I can't even go outside, I basically need to lie down in bed all day. Arrrrr.

I got my first 'peak' in May (we have 3 peaks a session), and right around this time I planned on cramming in 2 shorter speed workouts (20-45 minutes) of running (since my racse are draft legal).

Sucks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the reply! In early February, I had a cold. I tried to train thru it then realized that I was doing more harm than good. I took a week off to recover then started back slowely the week after Valentines day. Unfortuntaly, the cold was njot clear and it came back, but this time real bad. On Feb 27th, after an easy 6 mile run I had a strange feeling in my left cheek. It was kind of numb. Mind you, I am now trying to ramp back up after 13 weeks of solid base work. I went to the ER. I developed a mild case of Bells Palsy and needed to go on Steroids to reduce inflamation to my 7th Cranial nerve.

It was scary b/cause I didn't know what was going on. I didn't know if I had a tumor or what. It basically psychologically paralized me and mentally drained me. So now, a month later, I am tarting to work my way back slowely. I noticed a slight weight gain, but this is expected. Yesterday I ran for about 2 miles real easy and it was tough. (I was used to running between 6-8 3x/week plus long run). I have no strong desire to get into the pool yet. I want to build some fitness back b4 I do.

Tonight, I'm going to get on the trainer for a bit. Whatever I can do I'll do. I'm just going slow. But I know what you mean about having to adjust your goals. My A races were Eagleman and Timberman. But all in all, I just feel a bit depressed, anxious and "outside myself". My doc say's that it's common. When we train, we release endorphins that make us feel good. When we stop our training, we stop making the endorphins. I am hoping that I can re-focus. This set back really sucks!
Quote Reply
Re: Volume training to NO training - Physiological Complications? [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest complication I have when I lay off of training is that my whole life is built around it--- Especially my weeknights. I don't know what to do with myself when I am not working out and most of my friends are through sports. During my next layoff I am going to make more of an effort to participate in other engaging hobbies. Also, I like to walk and have found that walking always makes me feel better. That might be a way to get some exercise during a layoff.

On the upside, the nice thing about racing as an amateur Triathlete is that you can change your race schedule to fit your life. If I were you I would shift my A races to events later in the season and take plenty of time to ease back into training.

Even pros do this. For example, Jan Ullrich just recovered from a 12 month knee injury and is now talking about peaking in October for the World Championships. Jan will race the tour but will use it as a test and does not have the same expectations as in past years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dramatic Decrease in Training. What I have heard/read/experienced:

1. No noticeable lose in fitness after 1 -2 weeks.

2. There is a slight drop in some key fitness paramaters after three weeks of nothing.

3. What tends to go first is the top end things - Vo2 Max and Lactate Threshold levels.

4. Over longer periods of time 4 weeks and more of nothing is that in addition to the physiological things, if you are very highly trained stuff can get out of balance - core muscles, the back etc . .

5. Base fitness can last a very long time - months and in some cases years with a minimal amount of maitenance training.

In 1997 I trained/raced seriously for the last time. Did my 9th and last IM race and then that was it for me. Have not trained at anything close to thet level for 5 years now. What I have found: My top end sucks, but after a bit I can still go out for longer bikes and runs at slower paces. My back has been a problem. In fits of madness I have ramped things up a bit for the odd running race here and there and in about 4 weeks( all race tempo work) been able to get back to competitive levels for my age-group (40 - 44).

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the third day of no training after being fairly fit I suddenly get sore legs. I also have problems sleeping and my digestive system doesn't work as well. I don't have problems with depression from this becasue I have a lot of other interests to devote my time to. I hope that helps. Good luck! Maybe a nice cat would help...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply