Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vivosmart HR or 920 as an activity tracker?
Quote | Reply
I have a "backup" 310XT that I use on rare occasions that my 520 is not available. I run about once a year, and am essentially only a cyclist.

It failed the other day, so Garmin worked with me to get a 920. Could have had a 935, but I'm too stupid to realize that it was a night and day better product. The is the result of the fact that I have no knowledge of multisport watches and assumed it will sit in my bag for 98% of its life.

Reading up a little, it sounds like it might be a better daily activity tracker. Only thing it lacks compared to my Vivosmart HR is the optical heart rate monitor.

What I don't know, is which one would be a better watch to wear daily in particular because of the impact of the optical HRM.

I use the Vivosmart for the following:

Tracking strength workouts to upload to TP
Watch
Text/call notifications
Sleep monitoring. Vivosmart starts automatically as long as it is within a "set" time, I think you have to manually start the 920
Occasional step monitoring - it appears to be highly inaccurate in particular with the stairs

Off the cuff, it sounds like the 920 is significantly better than the Vivosmart but sleep and strength may not be properly tracked due to the lack of an HRM.

I did see that you can add an optical HRM, but it doesn't look like something I'd want to wear all day and night.

Thoughts? Put the 920 in my bag, or use it to replace my Vivosmart?

First world problem, I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Vivosmart HR or 920 as an activity tracker? [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I own both. Have had my 920 for a long time. I wanted a smaller device to wear as a watch, do activity & sleep tracking have the optical HR as a backup to the 920xt. I also wanted GPS so if needed would work like 920.

I've been pleased. There are some like you are aware of regarding steps accuracy but that is with both. The 920 recently got an update as well.

I use the vivoactive HR for swimming & sleep & steps tracking. It also pairs nicely with phone for notifications, alarms etc. I've used with a rental bicycle when traveling. I like that it also pairs with my chest HR from the 920 as well as my bike sensors. I do wear my 920xt when I run. I can wear the 920 when swimming but the vivoactive hr is easier & smaller in the water.

I have found I like the the IQ app called single field (by lcj2) works well on both devices. But I really like i on the vivoactive HR after trying a few watch faces is the BigTime by ruperthawkes. It gives the most information for the screen size & is readable & configurable.
Quote Reply