Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires
Quote | Reply
I have not seen anything on slowtwitch yet about these tires.
The claims brought forward by the company are quite amazing.
Better grip, better puncture resistance, and much better rolling resistance, with claims of 40% less rolling resistance than any tire 'previously measured'

I am eager to see independent tests and/or the actual data. These could be the no-brainer silver bullet choice for tubular/clinchers.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [howlingmadbenji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to their release and reception.

But the design of the video is upsetting at best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTH? All these bike tech guys at euro bike this past week and this is the first I hear about this?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was thinking about independent tests, I indeed had in mind Tom's fantastic website and resources. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tires have the lowest ratio of technisex appeal to actual importance ever. Not surprised the news wasn't carried anywhere.

I am a bit reserved as the big savings might only be within comparing tubeless tires and the general marking hype around the term Graphene.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
Tires have the lowest ratio of technisex appeal to actual importance ever. Not surprised the news wasn't carried anywhere.

I am a bit reserved as the big savings might only be within comparing tubeless tires and the general marking hype around the term Graphene.

Me too, though Vittoria has some tires with low Crr, so there is a chance these might be quite good. It would have been nice with a pure clincher version and not a clincher that is also tubeless-ready, since I assume some weight and hence maybe Crr will be added to make it tubeless-ready - not sure, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vittoria has some more information (or at least vague marketing talk) on their website. If we make the (rather large) assumption that the numbers they give are even close to right, I think they'll be better than just "quite good".

Taking a quick look at Tom A.'s RR spreadsheet, Vittoria has two Corsa models at about 0.0031 CRR. If they're actually able to get 20% better than that with their new Corsa Speed, we're going to see ~0.0024-0.0025 CRR and maybe 3-4 watts saved per pair versus the Specialized Turbo Cottons, and 5-6 watts over the 23mm Conti GP4000s at 40 kph. If the tubular version has a latex tube and has more supple sidewalls than that tubeless-compatible clincher, it seems reasonable to put it in the same ballpark (or better?). If you cut that improvement in half, they'd be about on par with the Turbo Cottons.

I think some independent verification is in order, don't you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would have been nice with a pure clincher version and not a clincher that is also tubeless-ready, since I assume some weight and hence maybe Crr will be added to make it tubeless-ready - not sure, though.

The graphene part is in the tread compound so I really don't see a reason to launch only a tubeless ready tire. At the very least it will need a carbon bead. At only 205g the carbon bead might be the only thing that makes it different from a regular tire.

Also only 23mm which is a fat tire if it is the same as the Corsa, and probably not so great for aero.

Price? Haven't seen any mention of that, but I bet they are very expensive.

Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [RunningChoux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunningChoux wrote:
Vittoria has some more information (or at least vague marketing talk) on their website. If we make the (rather large) assumption that the numbers they give are even close to right, I think they'll be better than just "quite good".

Taking a quick look at Tom A.'s RR spreadsheet, Vittoria has two Corsa models at about 0.0031 CRR. If they're actually able to get 20% better than that with their new Corsa Speed, we're going to see ~0.0024-0.0025 CRR and maybe 3-4 watts saved per pair versus the Specialized Turbo Cottons, and 5-6 watts over the 23mm Conti GP4000s at 40 kph. If the tubular version has a latex tube and has more supple sidewalls than that tubeless-compatible clincher, it seems reasonable to put it in the same ballpark (or better?). If you cut that improvement in half, they'd be about on par with the Turbo Cottons.

I think some independent verification is in order, don't you?

I agree. I definitely want to see some third party confirmation of their numbers before I believe them. If they are correct the Crr should indeed be very low.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
It would have been nice with a pure clincher version and not a clincher that is also tubeless-ready, since I assume some weight and hence maybe Crr will be added to make it tubeless-ready - not sure, though.

The graphene part is in the tread compound so I really don't see a reason to launch only a tubeless ready tire. At the very least it will need a carbon bead. At only 205g the carbon bead might be the only thing that makes it different from a regular tire.

Also only 23mm which is a fat tire if it is the same as the Corsa, and probably not so great for aero.

On their site they only have a tubular and a clincher version that is tubeless-ready (TLR) listed, so it seems for now that is the two options there are going to offer. If a slight weight hit is the only disadvantage to being tubeless-ready I don't personally really mind it - but the roadie crowd and marketing department might not necessarily agree.

23mm is deinifitely not in the super aero category, but I'm wondering how much the newest very wide rims might be able to compensate - like the 25mm HED Jets or the new Roval wheels. Is the standard Vittoria Corsa 23mm on the wide side like e.g. GP4000S is?

Probably not going to be cheap, but IF their claims are correct I would be willing to pay for it unless they price it at something completely ridiculous like $1000 per tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

My initial reaction was "if they're actually using graphene these will be quite expensive... maybe 2x a normal tire in this category. If these aren't significantly more expensive then they're not likely using enough graphene to make a difference and it's just marketing fluff."

I'm guessing that graphene of a consequential amount would drive up the bill of materials 4x and that materials are ~25% of the cost of the tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the standard Vittoria Corsa 23mm on the wide side like e.g. GP4000S is?

A little wider, not as tall. More round. Not aero.

Unless I get a new frame I won't have room on the rear and I'm pretty sure it won't be the best option on the front.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their website has been updated and the model lines trimmed. They are offering a significant number of models with graphene though.
With Graphene:
5x - off road tires (enduro and XC)
2x - urban tires
9x - road tires (tubular/clincher and race/training tires)

It looks like the entire Corsa line (fast race tire) will be gumwall. Might ruffle some peoples aesthetic feathers.

If the HYPE is real this will be an awesome technological shift. How soon until conti and michelin get on board with graphene tech?
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:

Not surprisingly, updates that may actually improve performance get minimal attention, while the thread on disc brakes keeps growing exponentially.

I called a few shops yesterday and these don't aren't even listed on their distributors' sites yet, so it may be a while before these are actually available.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they're in the Canadian distributor's catalogue for 2016... Open corsa Cx is $92, the new graphene tire is $132 (all prices CAD retail)
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [rainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they dropping the Cg Pave tubular?

That is the only Vittoria tire I use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is there any news on these? Have they come out? Any reviews or thoughts on them yet?

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:
is there any news on these? Have they come out? Any reviews or thoughts on them yet?

Just a bump to see if anyone has tried the new Vittorias (Graphene or otherwise) yet.
The Corsa Elite looks like it should work as a daily/trainer tub - anyone ridden one yet?
Also, the Magic Mastik glue that they use on the glueing demo - has anyone tried that yet? Does look pretty nice and simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Came across this: http://cyclesetforme.blogspot.com/

So if I'm interpreting the results correctly - about 10% lower rolling resistance going from GP 4000S 23mm to Corsa Speed 23mm. Average size rider at 25mph and you're looking at about 3W lower rolling resistance I believe.

Last edited by: cmeeks: Nov 21, 15 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so we have a first BALLPARK test: Alban Lorenzini tested and posted results on his blog. It's in french and I'm not sure google translate will come up good so I'll make a brief summary and hopefully if one has more questions maybe he will step up here.
He could not do his usual outdoor test due to weather conditions so he settled for a test on rollers and made an estimate of the effect on the road.
He controlled for room temperature, roller temperature, warm up conditions for a set of different tires including conti gp4000s II and Corsa Speed 23. Once he has results he uses a ballpark approximation on the effect on the road (because he knows difference on road between the GP4000 and the Conti TT, and the difference the roller test gives, so we can use the relative results to estimate the Corsa Speed on road).

The Corsa speed is estimated to be 3W faster than the Conti TT 23mm and 4.5W faster than the Conti GP4000 25 mm (and 6.5W faster than the Conti GP4000s 23mm) (all at 35 km/h)

Obviously this won't replace a more precise test but that's about where we can expect things to be. Easiest watt gain ever if as they claim the tire is very grippy and more puncture puncture resistant than anything else.

link to the study
http://cyclesetforme.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/test-de-rendement-gamme-vittoria.html

TL;DR first estimate the Corsa Speed circa 6.5W faster than the crowd favorite Conti GP 4000S2 (both 23 mm)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the interpretation. So a rough estimate would maybe be a 2 watt improvement per wheel over the cotton turbo at 45+ Kph. I will take that any day.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Thanks for the interpretation. So a rough estimate would maybe be a 2 watt improvement per wheel over the cotton turbo at 45+ Kph. I will take that any day.

If that's true ST will be throwing money at Vittoria.

Last edited by: trail: Nov 21, 15 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
howlingmadbenji wrote:
Ok so we have a first BALLPARK test: Alban Lorenzini tested and posted results on his blog. It's in french and I'm not sure google translate will come up good so I'll make a brief summary and hopefully if one has more questions maybe he will step up here.
He could not do his usual outdoor test due to weather conditions so he settled for a test on rollers and made an estimate of the effect on the road.
He controlled for room temperature, roller temperature, warm up conditions for a set of different tires including conti gp4000s II and Corsa Speed 23. Once he has results he uses a ballpark approximation on the effect on the road (because he knows difference on road between the GP4000 and the Conti TT, and the difference the roller test gives, so we can use the relative results to estimate the Corsa Speed on road).

The Corsa speed is estimated to be 3W faster than the Conti TT 23mm and 4.5W faster than the Conti GP4000 25 mm (and 6.5W faster than the Conti GP4000s 23mm) (all at 35 km/h)

Obviously this won't replace a more precise test but that's about where we can expect things to be. Easiest watt gain ever if as they claim the tire is very grippy and more puncture puncture resistant than anything else.

link to the study
http://cyclesetforme.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/test-de-rendement-gamme-vittoria.html

TL;DR first estimate the Corsa Speed circa 6.5W faster than the crowd favorite Conti GP 4000S2 (both 23 mm)

Hey! I recognize that Crr vs temperature plot in the blog...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

If that's true ST will be throwing money at Vittoria.

Darn toot'n. I will take any 2 watt improvement. Better tires are great because you don't really need to try testing whether they are faster. My Chung-ability isn't going to reliably detect a 2 watt improvement in aerodynamics and I am at the point of pretty marginal gains.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria corsa speed graphene tires [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

Darn toot'n. I will take any 2 watt improvement. Better tires are great because you don't really need to try testing whether they are faster. My Chung-ability isn't going to reliably detect a 2 watt improvement in aerodynamics and I am at the point of pretty marginal gains.

Just curious...but we do know some tires are more aero than others. If the tire rolled fast and was slow aero, would you still want it?
I guess it's like the Turbo Cottons. The rolling resistance is better than the increased aero drag

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Nov 21, 15 19:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next