Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vitamins
Quote | Reply
So what is everyone's thoughs on these.

I have never been a fan of them but now that I am pushing 43 and find it difficult to eat 3 good meals a day, I am starting to wonder if I need to take them.

Thoughts and/or recommendations

thanks

Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad.
- Eric Cartman
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamins [thx10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are cheap enough to take a chance on. They cant hurt.... right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take FTMs Athletes Multi and vit D3 but nothing else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B complex and fish oil.

Quote | Reply
I take Rainbow Light's Organic Men's Multi/Probiotic (everything comes from fruits and vegetables), calcium and magnesium and fish oil daily.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My attempts at good meal planning don't always work, so I multivitamin. I also supplement with D, fish oil, and magnesium citrate (helps fire up the metabolism).

Vitamin Shoppe has a good selection at the local store, and I've ordered online through Swanson.

KP

"Make friends with pain and you will never be alone" Ken Chlouber
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Endurance Multi-V (it has been 1/2 price from the AUS supplier now for a few months so I have been loading up) and Omega 3 fish-oil.

Quote | Reply
i take vit b12, but thats it in terms of vitamins. im sure some are decent but many of these pills are hard to absorb the nutrients because they are from inorganic compounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have never been a fan of them but now that I am pushing 43 and find it difficult to eat 3 good meals a day

I'd try harder to eat 3 good meals a day, especially now that your 43

You can't get the same broad range of micronutrients from a pill that you get from wholefood. See Michael Polan's 'In Defense of Food' for a good study on what's wrong with the 'nutritionalism' industry.

And, in response to above post, there is a problem with taking unnecessary doses of some vitamins, certain studies showing an increase in cancer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll mix metaphors and say i think they're OK if you take them with a grain of salt. like the others i take a daily mulit to fill in the gaps in my diet, and 2 specifics: fish oil to deal with an ongoing inflamation problem and vitamin d to hopefully help with my autoimmune problems (which also cause my inflammation. . .). they're not miracle cures (or cures at all, actually), but they're cheap and i like having them in the mix.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 42 (almost 43) and notice a huge difference in my overall day to day feeling when I take a mv. You might try the Kirkland (Costco) Performance Multi.

Matt Fitzgerald's book "Racing Weight" also makes some good recommendations on supplement usage. You might be interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamins [ride_4ever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worth the $50 a month. I take Nutrilite XX. Have been for many many years. It does not get any more organic than these.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Gulf Coast Tri 70.3 5-7-2011

"Get to living before your dead, or you soon will find, if your not pushing straight ahead you'll be left behind " - "The Bastard Suns"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out controlled labs orange triad. I'm not affiliated with them, but they make well thought out and solid products. In addition, I believe the company to be trustworthy. That and some fist oil is all you need.

Michael J. Pelechaty
Brewer, Black Box Brewing Co.

"Yeah, I was depressed for a little while, but then I remembered how awesome I am."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I started off with the book below or one by the same title about 30 years ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...298392845&sr=1-1

I've been taking a multivitamin with minerals for 30 years with 2 grams of vitamin C on top and 2 grams of fish oil with no side effects and I am still racing.

One thing to watch for is you can overdose on certain vitamins like A so don't take vitamins randomly. Some like C have no known toxicity. You can take 10 grams per day with no effect it is water soluble and passes through quite quickly in one way or another !

To aid recovery you can take L-Glutamine.

At your age its worth considering 75 mg of aspirin if you can take it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11597163

I also did some tests with Vitamin E as supplement on its own. After riding a road race or long ride on a Sunday I raced the track on a Monday. I did some tests on free standing rollers and I found the max rpm I could sustain was reduced after long rides. I tried vitamin E as a supplement and this seemed to have a positive effect so I took that for a while but the fish oil covers most of my needs.

You may wish to consider this amino acid mix.
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/...1097&prodid=1184
Based on this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11482764

So based on this cocktail I am still alive and racing at 50, I have had no major illnesses and my wife who takes a similar mix is the same. Is it a complete waste of money and down to good genes ?
Possibly, but I'm happy to pay for the possibility there is some benefit.

My 2c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you NEED to take them. You'll be fine without - I usually take a general multi but I once went several months off it and didn't feel a difference. I think supplementing with fish oil and vitamin D is more helpful. Stick to real (unprocessed) foods and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamins [MikayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikayP wrote:
i take vit b12, but thats it in terms of vitamins. im sure some are decent but many of these pills are hard to absorb the nutrients because they are from inorganic compounds.

Umm....

Vitamin B-12 is an organic compound (as are most other vitamins).

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's correct that most people don't need them because a decent diet takes care of you.

But as you said, since you can't always eat right and there's not likely any harm (not even financially since they are cheap), go ahead and get a multi-vitamin and take it most days.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamins [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vit B12 is INORGANIC, see the Co in the middle, that stands for Cobalt, a metal, therefore inorganic. You can not survive without metals in the body, think hemoglobin! metals are not evil
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamins [Arsen Gere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
show me one study where glutamine supplementation has shown improved recovery. It may improve immune response, but not recovery.

Michael J. Pelechaty

"Yeah, I was depressed for a little while, but then I remembered how awesome I am."
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamins [sugarfueled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sugarfueled wrote:
Vit B12 is INORGANIC, see the Co in the middle, that stands for Cobalt, a metal, therefore inorganic. You can not survive without metals in the body, think hemoglobin! metals are not evil

Well, I agree that inorganic compounds are not evil -- that was the point of my post.

But, I wouldn't call B-12 inorganic due to a single Co atom. See all those CONH2 carbonyl groups? That's organic in my book, though I suppose the distinctions between organic and inorganic C compounds are kind of arbitrary these days when most C compounds are synthetic...

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Feb 22, 11 17:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on that logic, is hemoglobin inorganic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not an organic chemist, but let's be nice to each other and call B12 a chelate complex and make everyone happy? By all definitions I've read, we'd call that organic.

If you're talking about essential micro and macro metals, then, yes, a lot of them come in chelated forms naturally for increased availability/absorption.

To the OP, if I'm a good boy, I remember to take my multivitamin during dinner. Mostly it just makes my pee a lot more colorful, but it probably doesn't hurt those days when I don't eat right. Dinner, because I eat oatmeal and drink coffee for breakfast, both of which inhibit absorption.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamins [Cheddar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Glutamine :

I agree that the glutamine supplements are not fully proven or the operation of glutamine fully understood. But there are a number of papers which indicate it has a role to play in recovering from injury and levels are depleted post exercise.

http://www.scielo.br/...;nrm=iso&tlng=en

http://jn.nutrition.org/...ent/131/9/2515S.full

This meta study may be useful.

http://etd.lsu.edu/.../Piattoly_thesis.pdf

It states :

As a result of supplementation, glutamine will be available to important fuel sites (skeletal muscle,
immune cells), plasma and intramuscular levels that require it during exercise, possibly
decreasing muscle fatigue and wasting, increasing recovery time, therefore, enhancing
exercise performance.

( I think there is a typo in that it should read 'decreases recovery time' . )

Although there is minimal data on glutamine supplementation in the athletic
population measuring strength and performance, based on the available data, it would
seem reasonable to state that glutamine supplementation may provide beneficial effects
for individuals engaged in chronic and intense exercise training.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamins [Arsen Gere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only catch is that animal protein is packed with glutamine so if you're getting enough protein I would venture to guess it would have a minimal effect to take the free form powder. BCAAs on the other hand have demonstrated performance improvements

Michael J. Pelechaty

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this is my summary (and many thanks to all who posted)

1) Go ahead and try a multi-v since it shouldn't hurt
2) Take it when it can be readily absorbed into the system
3) Still try to east 3 sqaures a day
4) Continue to exercise

Again, thank you for all your input. I will try this and see what transpires.

Thanks

Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad.
- Eric Cartman
Quote Reply

Prev Next