Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Visiting Bergen County NJ (Hackensack area) and need help with routes
Quote | Reply
I'm visiting some family for about a week in the Hackensack area if New Jersey. I am planning on flying out with a road bike and would like ride while I'm there.

Can someone in the area point me towards some routes that cover between 50-100 miles?

Alternatively is there anyone out there who would loan me a trainer for the time that I am there and I will just train indoors.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Visiting Bergen County NJ (Hackensack area) and need help with routes [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Head out east through Teaneck and Englewood/Tenafly and then get on to Route 9W - follow the road up the Hudson Valley to the top of Bear Mountain, through Piermont and Nyack - or as far as you want to go.
9W is a great wide road with good shoulder for cyclists, not too busy and (especially at weekends) full of cyclists doing the Bear Mountain ride, so most drivers are used to seeing cyclists.

And 9W is signed as a cycle route so just follow the green bike signs.
Quote Reply
Re: Visiting Bergen County NJ (Hackensack area) and need help with routes [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add to that, there are places to stop and refill every 20 miles or so, if needed.

Strictly bikes in fort Lee is a gathering point.
Bunbury cafe, or Piermont bikes is about 15 miles down road

Runcible spoon is around mile 20

There's a food stand at bear (about mile 40)

You can also look for a ride out to the orchards of Conklin ( probably 65 roind trip from strictly) that has some decent hills and fresh apple cider donuts :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly what the previous posters wrote. Make your way to 9W and head up to Bear Mtn. If you search in RWGPS, you'll probably find tons of viable routes.
Quote Reply
Re: Visiting Bergen County NJ (Hackensack area) and need help with routes [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thank you all. I have been to bear mountain before by car. I couldn't remember if the road was good enough to ride safely.

Are there any indoor training gyms in the area where you can bring your bike and put it on a trainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As everyone else said this thread can be answered in 2 letters:
9W

The end
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quote alexer03]Awesome! Thank you all. I have been to bear mountain before by car. I couldn't remember if the road was good enough to ride safely.

Are there any indoor training gyms in the area where you can bring your bike and put it on a trainer?[/quote]
Another vote for 9w!

Also check with https://www.bcmtri.com/, Andres runs a great tri program in the area, I have not been to his new studio yet but I know he has a solid trainer set up, not sure how or when he does classes/would be available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides asking here, look at the Strava Global Heat map. You don't have to be a Strava member. I toggle between that and Google Map to determine where the majority of people ride. Limit your search to riding/running/water sports.

https://www.strava.com/...56/40.90192/hot/ride

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Visiting Bergen County NJ (Hackensack area) and need help with routes [sunray1985] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sunray1985 wrote:

Also check with https://www.bcmtri.com/, Andres runs a great tri program in the area, I have not been to his new studio yet but I know he has a solid trainer set up, not sure how or when he does classes/would be available.

Just what I was looking for, thanks.
Quote Reply