Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vision Tech aero bars
Quote | Reply
Any opinions on the Vision Tech Tri-Max aero bars? The new flat bars?
Is carbon worth the extra money over its aluminum counter part?
Is getting an integrated bar worth the money vs my current Syntac C2 bullhorn setup (80 degree Softride)?

I have the chance to get in on a great deal on some Vision Tech/FSA stuff. I already have race wheels for the bike, compact cranks will be ordered shortly, and I've already been fit. If it makes a difference, my A-races next season are the 1/2 IMs at Wildflower and Vineman, and the SJ International.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Tech aero bars [Fluffyjoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Carbon X bars and I love them for their adjustability, unfortunately the Vision' don't have that feature but neither do the Syntace. So if you find a good position with the Vision go for it. Integrated is just nicer.

Do you or anybody else know where I can get the new vision flat bars, havent seen them anywhere?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not ridden them myself, and I wouldn't normally like to upset a manufacturer, but I feel compelled to attach this photo.

I took it in the race tech-support room after the St Croix Half in May 2003. The unfortunate rider apparently had his Visiontech Tri Max Plus break while descending the hill after the Beast. I was told he took a nasty spill AFTER they snapped, i.e. they didn't just snap because he crashed.

Of course, I don't know the full details, the bars could have suffered a previous trauma, and one has to be very careful on any bike that has been transferred through San Juan baggage handling, but in the words of the caterpillar looking up at a butterfly, "You'll never catch me on one of those things".

Quote Reply
Re: Vision Tech aero bars [Bigfella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So let me get this straight, you don't know the history of these bars, you don't know the circumstances leading to their failure, you don't say this manufacturer's product is any more likely to fail than any other's, but based on one observation you conclude these bars aren't safe.

That's what we call good analytical thinking.
Last edited by: asgelle: Jan 20, 04 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Tech aero bars [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen them either, that is why I ask.
I am able to get them through a club deal, I don't know what the wait time for them is though.
I've more or less decided to pull the trigger and get them, I can't really decide between Aluminum or Carbon. I'm a light guy, race weight of 140ish, so flex shouldn't be an issue.
On a softride is that little bit of shock absorbion of carbon going to make a difference (Carbon fork already)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be happy to help you unload those Syntace clip-ons, provided they're size med or large...

in no way related to the above... a teammate, ~5yrs ago had one of the earlier VTs break at the wing area. he crashed after the break. he was ~140lbs, small guy. that wasn't a singular occurence back in the day, but presumably they've solved the problem.

one issue i can see still with this bar is that in order to keep the frontal area low, they've reduced the vertical cross-section. while the wide horizontal section helps (the effect is linear), it's the dimension parallel to stress that provides the strength and rigidity of a beam (with the cube of the thickness, or outer diameter). so, to ensure minimum flex and increase the yield point, but keep the profile thin, they may have made it rather less ductile than is safe. so, instead of bending and giving you a warning, they pretty much just snap.
Quote Reply