Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Virtual bike fit
Quote | Reply
I'm new to triathlons and looking to buy a road bike. I live in Israel where the races are all draft-legal. No tri bikes or bars.

Here's the problem: I'm 6'2" but have a 32" inseam (187/83cm) a "longbody roddy" if ever there was one.

A used bike that fits looks like it's going to be hard to find. The bike shops and importers I've found sell Trek and Scott bikes, which I'm not crazy about, or Italian bikes, which I am crazy about, but the ones I've seen have short top tubes.

What I'd like is a Litespeed or Cervelo but they're not sold here. Does it make sense to buy one in the States, with only a virtual fit, and have a friend bring it over, then fine tune the fit once it's here? Can Lightspeed or Cervelo or a bike shop, knowing my measurements, tell me with any confidence that a 56 or 58 (or a 57 in Litespeed's case) is the correct size?

I guess ideally I'd buy the Cervelo Soloist since it has more than a 1,000 points (bucks) in it's favor vs. a Lightspeed Tuscany or Siena, especially since I'd be buying it without riding it first which already strikes me as a bad, but maybe unavoidable, thing to do.

Alternatively, does Bianchi or Pinarello or any other Italian bikemaker make a bike that runs long in the top?

Cheers,

Felix
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual bike fit [Hawk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felix,

Mondonico and their American doppleganger Torelli offer great road bikes in standard top-tube lengths. Additionally, they offer several frames in steel, aluminum and alu-carbon. All are first rate and the Torelli's offer some great price points. Likewise, if you know your geometry, Dean, Curtlo, Sycip, Jericho and Strong (all American) offer great prices on custom steel and ti. ...Again, that's based on the premise that you need a standard road frame.

If the lugged, Italian steel thing really does it for you, I'd recommend looking at Torelli. Likewise, Cervelo's Prodigy is a terrific bike and I think you can find it on-line through Supergo.com.

FWIW, I ride a Dean steel frame (I'm 6'2" with more equal proportions), and I love it. Not too heavy, well balanced, works well with clip-ons, etc....

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to have a look at some of the LeMond bikes. Good bikes and many are offered with a longer than normal top tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My findings have been that Bianchi runs consistently 5mm longer on the top tube per seat tube measurement than other brands. Wow, you do have a long torso- you should take up body surfing!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual bike fit [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom. I was hoping to elicit a reply from you. I'm a big fan of your bikesportmichigan site. I'd love to visit your shop but can't remember the last time I was in Michigan and don't expect to be there anytime in the foreseeable future.

There is a Bianchi importer here and not surprisingly, Italian bikes are a better bargain here than they are in the States. They're even a better value than American bikes, which tend to get marked up quite a bit. Can you recommend any specific Bianchi bikes, ones that might be more suited for my size (187/83, 95kg) and for a novice triathlete looking to spend $2000 or less? As I mentioned before, the races here are all draft-legal so I'm looking for a tri-suitable road bike. That's one reason I'm keen on a Cervelo Soloist.

Would it be nuts to buy a 56cm or 58cm Soloist (or a 57cm Lightspeed Tuscany or Siena for that matter) in the States, have a friend bring it over and get it properly fitted here? I realize that's not the proper way to go about buying a bike, but I don't have a lot of options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yaqui now has draft-legal bikes, which they'll built to your specific measurements. Check out www.yaquiusa.com for more info.

Zeke
Quote Reply