Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vinyl Wrapped my P2 - Ask me anything [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is interesting, according to a YouTube video, If you use 6 mm tri line knifeless tape, apparently it's possible to make almost seamless butted joints.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Vinyl Wrapped my P2 - Ask me anything [Dallcro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you consider mixing colors or designs? Or is that much harder?
Quote Reply
Re: Vinyl Wrapped my P2 - Ask me anything [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
It is interesting, according to a YouTube video, If you use 6 mm tri line knifeless tape, apparently it's possible to make almost seamless butted joints.
Nope. I guarantee the vinyl will shrink back a little, especially anywhere it was stretched. It’s why we overlap panels on wall murals or when needed on vehicles.
Quote Reply
Re: Vinyl Wrapped my P2 - Ask me anything [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Did you consider mixing colors or designs? Or is that much harder?

If you look at the picture, I have incorporated metallic blue on the inside of the front and rear forks. I wanted to keep the rest “murdered out”. I wrapped the stem, seat post, basebar and extensions to cover all logos and branding.

Additional colors are absolutely possible. Google all the crazy wrap designs people do on cars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Dallcro and All,

Very nicely done ....

In the past .... painting could void warranty .... whereas vinly did not.

Relative to paint .... easier to change visual scheme for a bike with vinyl ... just peel it off.

Save some vinyl for repairs also.

I elected to just trim my bike with visibilty accents which took less time ..... (knifeless tape would have been a help)

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6465882#p6465882

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6000620#p6000620

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Nope. I guarantee the vinyl will shrink back a little, especially anywhere it was stretched. It’s why we overlap panels on wall murals or when needed on vehicles.

I over lapped most seams by half the width of the knifeless tape. Last thing I wanted was to miss a seam and the have the white paint underneath visible with the black.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dallcro wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I over lapped most seams by half the width of the knifeless tape. Last thing I wanted was to miss a seam and the have the white paint underneath visible with the black.

That’s perfect. And 30 bucks was a good deal for the vinyl. Wrap vinyl is not cheap.
I’m thinking of doing mine in one of the color changing vinyls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Good to know.

What would you recommend regarding the vinyl film overlap width in mm for, say, a n.P2 or Speed Concept downtube, with the seam running longitudinally down the frame tube?

Thanks.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Dec 30, 18 17:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 2 mm is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a company that does this, they get about $1000 for a full bike depending on options. I saw them at a local tri expo and I would expect much better for that kind of money, to me it looked kind of homemade.

https://www.bicyclemakeover.com/...le-makeover-packages
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally would buy a cheap heat gun. Go to a store like Harbor Freight and it's maybe $15. I've wrapped a car as well as interior trim pieces (probably more similar to wrapping a bike) and while a hair dryer will work, the heat gun heats the vinyl up much faster and gets hotter. Makes the work easier.

With knifeless tape, be careful in pulling it as it can leave a ragged edge if you rush it.

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Great info, thank you. I did not know about the knifeless tape, that could be a huge help. I have used some of the car wrap in a few spots on my P3 but wrapping the whole frame seemed to be an impossibly time consuming job.

But maybe not so much anymore. Another question, would you guess that a hair blow dryer would be a sufficient substitute for a heat gun?

Then, how much of the knifeless tape do you estimate that you used, 25% of the roll? More?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a way, I’m really surprised you didn’t just opt to plasti-dip it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the colour changing vinyl yet? I stopped by a local autowrap business and they were saying that chrome and colour change are harder to install. Is that your experience?
Quote Reply
Re: Vinyl Wrapped my P2 - Ask me anything [snowboardgrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Color changing vinyl installs like normal, the big difference is you have to install it all in the same direction.
Chrome is a whole different beast. Thick, distorts and scratches easily. It would be difficult to do a bike frame with it without a lot of seams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of residue is left after the vinyl wrap is removed?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting your project and the "how to's"! It inspired me to wrap a p5. Here's a photo.
Quote Reply

Prev Next