Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's hysterical.
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did he do in kona last year by the way?
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9:13. I was impressed.
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's fast

1 hour 5 swim, 4 hour bike, 4 hour run and 2x 5 minute transitions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ahead of me , not that I am bitter or anything :)

I actually saw him drafting on the bike , once a cheater
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:

I hear he was the only one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why aren't all of you complaining about Laurent Jalabert, who has been taking lots of WTC podiums, and 5th in his division at kona this past October??
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t want to start another AG doping thread

But yeah him as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not complaining. I like Vino. Where did I imply otherwise? Maybe you were just responding to last?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, was more meant for UKINNY. :)

I have no problem with these guys. I was a fan of both when they were pro cyclists, would love to meet them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:

Serious question....who the heck was Vino drafting in the age grouper field at Kona. Pretty well all age groupers are riding much slower than him. I'd hazard to guess that Vino being a slow swimmer, was just slingshotting past people on his way to a post hawi solo side back to Kailua pier.

Now if Lance was racing 45-49 with Vino, I would believe they might be drafting each other....but which age groupers ride as fast as a somewhat fit Vino? (doped or not is irrelevant, we'll assume he's just totally juiced, out and focus on the drafting).
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jalabert

Not really but would have been a good story

I hit a small small pack and as ever there is nowhere to go but to be fair most people tried their best not draft

Not so Vino, he sat in for a few mins right up someone’s arse when he clearly had the power to go wide and go round all of them

He then took off as i would have expected him to - it we all a bit odd actually and I was not the only one shaking my head

He rode a 4-18 I believe

Jalabert went by me at about mile 30 , he just ploughed through everyone ahead of me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So he's guilty of doing the same thing half the AGer's do, and of course, the entire field at IM Texas.... ;)

I know these guys had a history, because of the pro sport they were a part of, but I think they should be allowed to move on. Jalabert was a pro during a huge doping era. If you are OK with him now plowing threw a triathlon field on the bike, then its not really fair to single Vino out for drafting IMHO.... But to each their own.

And with regards to Vino's bike time, I'm not doubting what you saw, but you don't get a bike split like that just because you sat in a few AGer's draft more than you should have. He's obviously a world class biker.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree broadly and yes Vino smashed the course

vino doped his whole career and even up to the Olympics in 2012 i suspect (no proof of course )

I just wonder whether he is still doing the same , old habits die hard for someone who has doped like he did

I am more pissed about the AG field , again no proof but I am sure it goes on , particularly in my AG

Cheers

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
I agree broadly and yes Vino smashed the course

vino doped his whole career and even up to the Olympics in 2012 i suspect (no proof of course )

I just wonder whether he is still doing the same , old habits die hard for someone who has doped like he did

I am more pissed about the AG field , again no proof but I am sure it goes on , particularly in my AG

Cheers

Steve

Steve, I don't think we can say Vino is doping any more than Jalabert today. I would like to think NO who knows.....but they may not be that much different than many age groupers who dope and draft their way to and at Kona. They will face higher scrutiny fo sure as they should. Vino is new to triathlon but he knows TT rules from cycling. You can't draft the guy who started in the TT in front of you if you catch him so if he's drafting people who swam faster before he hammers away, its probably because age groupers have shown him "how it is done in our sport". In any case, my main point was that you don't get Vino's bike split without riding hard yourself as there is almost no one to draft off who can ride like that.

Pretty cool that you got to see all of this in action. Congrats on your race!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev

I suspect he was just taking it all in , the guy disappeared very quickly when he decided to go

You are right of course , no one knows and i try not to think about it - I suspect (there I go again ) that the ‘average’ AG at Kona is more likely to dope than Vino

I noted that Ironman used him as a marketing photo for IM Copenhagen which I did not think was a good idea and for the same reason , I still would not enjoy seeing him on the podium (which is where he is headed let’s face it )

But the rules are the rules and he is allowed to compete so it is what it is - I will continue to be vocal however about hoping for a clean sport and maybe learn how to swim so I beat him next time :)

Cheers Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly doubt Vino is doping for triathlons. Competing at the TDF as a professional cyclist is a different animal where all the major teams run doping programs and it's your job as a professional cyclist (no offense to the people that believe this is not happening and still believe in Santa Claus). The retired professional cyclists that compete in tris are doing it because they are having fun. The professional cyclists that switch and become full time pro triathletes are a different matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree with you but he already has the benefit of having used them

I am a maybe a naive believer that today’s cyclists skirt the edges of what is allowed (see team Sky) but do not generally dope like the good old days - there are always exceptions of course and suspect it is more prevalent in the junior ranks (where testing is more lax) or in certain countries - It is rife in Costa Rica for example , this time a proven fact
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Nice AG winner and overall 17. I assume he qualifies for Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is 6 months late but:
If they're not doping like the good old days then how are they still breaking records? - They are just better at it?
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I know this is 6 months late but:
If they're not doping like the good old days then how are they still breaking records? - They are just better at it?

Nobody ever thought of adding a splash of pineapple juice to a bidon before nor travelling with their own pillow. It's made a huge difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
UKINNY wrote:

I hear he was the only one.
Considering he did a 4:18 bike maybe he drafted Wurf for a few km's???
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were they both using the same gear or did vino ride a road bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Vino's next career [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Nobody ever thought of adding a splash of pineapple juice to a bidon before nor travelling with their own pillow. It's made a huge difference.

A bunch of marginal gains! They add up!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply

Prev Next