Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
View-Speed Skewers
Quote | Reply
Picked up a set for my Shiv after a crash that bent my Zipps, and these are pretty slick. I like how they lock and I know we can argue about savings from them but they are some clean looking on a bike. Just a shout out for a nice product that didn't break the bank.

And if the extra 10 secs are going to break you for the time in changing versus the QR skewers, you probably lost already with the flat :)
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume you got the proper version that fits on the shiv?

I love these skewers. Simple, cheap, maximum aero minimum weight. What is not to love?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. I'd definitley recommend sending an email first to make sure you get the right model, mind you I think it is only the Shiv and one other that can't use the S4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love mine too. Just work well and less drag. When you're looking to go fast everything counts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Tony5 and All,

Thanks for the kind words!

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Neal,

Do you recommend the S3 or S4 for the new P3 and Flo 60/90? I see the S4 is advertised as lighter and faster, and just want to make sure it is a good fit before placing my order.

Thanks,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello GreatScott and All,

The View-Speed S3 skewer will fit most road bikes.

The View-Speed S4 skewer requires a fork dropout that is 1/4" (6.35mm) thick or greater since it puts about 1 mm of the skewer shoulder into the dropout and the skewer shoulder should not touch the wheel axle. It works fine on my Cervélo P3 fork and many others but does not work on all bikes. For instance some Specialized fork dropouts are thinner than 1/4" and require the S3 skewer so that it does not impinge on the wheel axle .... or it will not hold the wheel properly.

I have wheels with Zipp, older Velomax, and DT Swiss hubs and they work fine .... there may be hubs out there that have different dimensions so sometimes the best way to determine which skewer to use is to install it and check.

It is easy to check .... after tightening the skewer to 4 or 5 NM try to move the wheel side to side ..... it should not move.

If you buy a skewer and it does not work we will refund your money or swap it for the other model as you request.

This is not much of a problem in the US as shipping costs are not great .... however if you are not in the USA the shipping costs are about $23.95 so we request that for overseas buyers please measure carefully before ordering. (We will still refund or swap of course)

Also for overseas buyers we can ship 5 or 6 skewer sets in a small US International Postal Priority Mail box for the same shipping price as one set of skewers.

I didn't know there were that many cyclists out there working on going a bit faster ... or just liking the clean look.

The skewer sales trend continues to move upward ... thanks to all who are buying ...... we are currently including an Amigo multi tool with each skewer order at no cost.

The Amigo we include is the combination aluminum and titanium model ..... intended for light duty when working with the security fastener bits .... although the titanium tire irons parts are damn strong. If you are going to be doing heavy duty work with the security fastener bits we recommend purchasing the all titanium Amigo.

If you have further questions please PM me or use the eMail addresses on the website: http://www.view-speed.com

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using View Speed skewers since 2012 - an aero gain worth taking advantage of!

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

another very happy customer! i'll never have a tt bike without them.
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
View Speed skewers are cool, but $80 for a skewer set was too much for me personally. Not as low profile, not as light but a lot cheaper: http://amzn.com/B000ACAMKG Still a smaller profile than most skewers out there, for the cheap asses out there, or those who want to avoid having their wheels stolen while at a gas station stop.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2. I use them and they're very easy to use and look great.

I also use the Stash seat cover, which is a bit more work to keep "sealed" properly, but is also a good product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello again Neal,

I ordered my S4 skewers some time ago and am preparing to install them for spring time trials.

Can you comment on the following observation in Greg's review regarding carbon dropouts?

"That being the case, I would definitely not recommend using this skewer on a fork with carbon dropouts. My design suggestion – provided it passes all safety standards – is that the skewer be updated to have a washer on the 5mm head side. It could be knurled on the side that contacts the fork (similar to how standard quick release skewers are knurled), but smooth on the side that contacts the skewer. In theory, this would allow the smooth faces to rotate against each other, but keep the knurled side planted on the fork dropout.

My concern with the existing design is that the wheel could go crooked from tightening the skewer, so you adjust the brake to compensate. If, however, you hit a bump or pothole and force the hub to push all the way down in the dropouts again, the brake would be misadjusted (and it could possible push your rim into the brakes). "

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...uct_review_3629.html

Thanks,

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
"That being the case, I would definitely not recommend using this skewer on a fork with carbon dropouts. My design suggestion – provided it passes all safety standards – is that the skewer be updated to have a washer on the 5mm head side. It could be knurled on the side that contacts the fork (similar to how standard quick release skewers are knurled), but smooth on the side that contacts the skewer. In theory, this would allow the smooth faces to rotate against each other, but keep the knurled side planted on the fork dropout.

My concern with the existing design is that the wheel could go crooked from tightening the skewer, so you adjust the brake to compensate. If, however, you hit a bump or pothole and force the hub to push all the way down in the dropouts again, the brake would be misadjusted (and it could possible push your rim into the brakes). "

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...uct_review_3629.html

Bumping this to see whether anyone has input on using S4 speed skewers with carbon forks. The review above has me concerned!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use them on my 2010 P3, carbon dropouts. No issues, but I am careful to ensure correct orientations and torques.
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
x2. I use them and they're very easy to use and look great.

I also use the Stash seat cover, which is a bit more work to keep "sealed" properly, but is also a good product.

Agreed on both. Just carry the appropriate allen wrench and you're good for anything.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Picked up a set for my Shiv after a crash that bent my Zipps, and these are pretty slick. I like how they lock and I know we can argue about savings from them but they are some clean looking on a bike. Just a shout out for a nice product that didn't break the bank.

And if the extra 10 secs are going to break you for the time in changing versus the QR skewers, you probably lost already with the flat :)

Here's what you really want:\;

Nuke Proof Ti spin on skewers. The handle is invisible to the wind. No more searching for that allen key

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The handle may be close to invisible on those, but it looks like it still has a big cylindrical "nuts" vs. the really flat, semi-spherical ones on the View-Speed.

Of course we're talking about like 1 second over 40K, maybe. On the other hand, the last stage race I won, I took 5 seconds on the TT and held it the rest of the stages.
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're not even talking about 1 second over 50 miles. I just like cool skewers.

One thing that really irks me is to see a really nice aero bike with big hunkin mountain bike skewers!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We are going to make a thrust washer for the skewers for those that want to use it.

It will take a couple months or so since we will have to test it and the testing facility we use takes at least 2 weeks … some times more …. Plus time to manufacture.

We have not pursued it previously since only a very few customers have inquired about it …. And those using the skewers have appeared satisfied with the function.

As you will note the bottom of the rotating part of the skewer has concentric polished raised rings to provide non slip friction with the fork in every direction while tightening in place.

Also please note that in keeping with the philosophy, "Simplicate and add lightness" (William Stout ... although I heard of it from Ed Heinemann) the washer will add about 1mm additional height and be one more piece to deal with when using the skewer.

I will post a note as soon as we have the washer available.

And thanks for purchasing our View-Speed Skewers.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Neal,

I ran my speed skewers for the first time at our local spring time trial yesterday, and can officially endorse the skewers as a great product. Easy install, no problems with the carbon fork and a super clean look.

I may just throw an allen wrench in the tool bag and run them on the race wheels full time.

Thanks for your help, and for producing a simple but effective aero skewer.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google says your site may be hacked. You should look into that.

Great looking product, terrible marketing! I'm interested, once I've sorted the more important things in my setup.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
Google says your site may be hacked. You should look into that.

Great looking product, terrible marketing! I'm interested, once I've sorted the more important things in my setup.

Yea, the website could use a firm refresh to fast forward it 10 years. Even squarespace template webby would do a wonder.
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Pantelones and All,

Good point about the website ..... I am planning to update it when I get a chance .... but it might be awhile.

I'll check on the Google hack report .... thanks ....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Happy you like the skewers and thanks for the nice report.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried the View-Speed Cyclops glasses and have a review for how they work. I like the idea of being able to keep my head low and still see forward. Plus, a neck injury limits my neck extension and affects my overall position on the bike. I am very intrigued but would like to hear some reviews before I drop that kind of $$$.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next