Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Very minor triathlon annoyances and hopefully, solutions?
Quote | Reply
1) When you get set to go for a ride and you notice one of your tires is flat. This usually happens when you are running late to a group ride. You check the tube later for a flat but you can't find one. Scared that I've just missed one, I usually trash it. It's really annoying not to know, though.

2) The drawstring in your shorts/sweats/tights comes all the way out. How in the hell do you get it back in there? There's got to be some sort of technique.

3) Any kind of sound coming from your bike. Very annoying and sometimes time consuming to find. All the while you're just wondering what component you're ruining by continuing to ride.

4) Forgetting you towel at a swim. Ok, so there's an easy solution to this one.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. Gotta go swim. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by: jaylew: Jan 12, 04 23:04
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon annoyances and hopefully, solutions? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5. Planning to run after you swim ... only you forgot to pack underwear.

6. Adding to #5 ... putting on your shorts/sweats and deciding if anyone will notice that you forgot your drawers ... and you conclude they will.

7. Seat post keeps sliding down into the seat tube. The knees hitting the shoulders while riding is a good indicator =)

8. Changing gears and they are "slipping" making a "grinding" sound. I agree, you wonder which part you'll need to replace, now that you've ruined it by continueing the ride.

9. Trying to find a place for your cell phone. It doesn't fit anywhere, but you know if you leave it home you'll get a flat tire or sprained ankle after 14 miles.

-------------------------------------

As far as the drawstring thing ... only thing I've ever done is to tie big knots on the ends so that they can't fit back through the hole.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ad 1) Have a set of old wheels ready for last minute replacements (I usually use Ksyrium elite for group rides and 36 spokes for single training or tacx) this gets you ready for the road in seconds (but maybe you get dropped a second earlier)

ad 2) Yes use a knot and a needle - takes 10-15 minutes though

ad 3) I analyse it on the trainer - and in doubt open the bottom bracket, grease it ... more often than not thats it

ad 4) I leave some basic things in the car (old training suit, old blanket, comb) in case the car brakes down in the cold anyway (even though I have a rather new car) - it also helps with the baby when we didnt pack enough stuff - my old cotton training suit works nice as a blanket for the baby (when its washed - dont want to kill my kid :-) ) In summer I put my inline skaters in as well - if I have to wait 15 Minutes somewhere can as well run them. And I have an old pair of running shoes in the car if shoes get wet or some time left over. In my opinion a very good and cheap solution - just take that things 10 uses before you would trash them anyway.

ad 5) you know the scottish tradition of wearing nothing under your kilt - that goes for training suits as well. I think of it as a special needs bag for my car, put an old version of everything I could possibly forget in it. A cotton trainer works fine for almost everything

ad 7) Greased the carbon??? How can that happen??

ad 8) go singlespeed :-)

ad 9) Jersey pocket ???
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon annoyances and hopefully, solutions? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
5. Planning to run after you swim ... only you forgot to pack underwear. You wear underwear when you run?

6. Adding to #5 ... putting on your shorts/sweats and deciding if anyone will notice that you forgot your drawers ... and you conclude they will.
Refering to #'s 4 & 5: You wear underwear when you run?
7. Seat post keeps sliding down into the seat tube. The knees hitting the shoulders while riding is a good indicator =)

8. Changing gears and they are "slipping" making a "grinding" sound. I agree, you wonder which part you'll need to replace, now that you've ruined it by continueing the ride.

9. Trying to find a place for your cell phone. It doesn't fit anywhere, but you know if you leave it home you'll get a flat tire or sprained ankle after 14 miles. I always put mine in a ziplock bag and put that in a jersey pocket. I never bring one when I run.

-------------------------------------

As far as the drawstring thing ... only thing I've ever done is to tie big knots on the ends so that they can't fit back through the hole.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon annoyances and hopefully, solutions? [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
ad 1) Have a set of old wheels ready for last minute replacements (I usually use Ksyrium elite for group rides and 36 spokes for single training or tacx) this gets you ready for the road in seconds (but maybe you get dropped a second earlier) Sometimes the most obvious solutions are the hardest to see. I've got 3 bikes with 700c wheels and I never think to do that. But why is it that you can't seem to find those slow leaks? Most irritating.

ad 2) Yes use a knot and a needle - takes 10-15 minutes though How do you keep a needle in the opening? Seems like it would keep poking through... aahh, there's the 10-15 minutes.

ad 3) I analyse it on the trainer - and in doubt open the bottom bracket, grease it ... more often than not thats it

ad 4) I leave some basic things in the car (old training suit, old blanket, comb) in case the car brakes down in the cold anyway (even though I have a rather new car) - it also helps with the baby when we didnt pack enough stuff - my old cotton training suit works nice as a blanket for the baby (when its washed - dont want to kill my kid :-) ) In summer I put my inline skaters in as well - if I have to wait 15 Minutes somewhere can as well run them. And I have an old pair of running shoes in the car if shoes get wet or some time left over. In my opinion a very good and cheap solution - just take that things 10 uses before you would trash them anyway. You know I have started doing this. I have a big plastic container in the back of my car with extra running shoes, bike shoes, glasses, socks, running shorts, a pump, a towel, goggles, and an extra swimsuit. It only happens to me now when I ride my bike to the pool.

ad 5) you know the scottish tradition of wearing nothing under your kilt - that goes for training suits as well. I think of it as a special needs bag for my car, put an old version of everything I could possibly forget in it. A cotton trainer works fine for almost everything

ad 7) Greased the carbon??? How can that happen??

ad 8) go singlespeed :-)

ad 9) Jersey pocket ???
Quote Reply
Re: Very minor triathlon annoyances and hopefully, solutions? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best way to find slow leaks is to fill the tube up and hold it under water.

For drawstrings, attach a large safety pin to one end of the drawstring and use that to work it through.
Quote Reply
Re: Very minor triathlon annoyances and hopefully, solutions? [Larry Himmel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: "The best way to find slow leaks is to fill the tube up and hold it under water. "

Agreed, but if that damn tube has already pissed me off that much, it's going in the trash. I'm not going to spend 15 minutes to diagonose a $3 tube :-) Besides, even if you find it, do you really want to try to re-use that tube? Clearly it doesn't want to be ridden any more. That's just bad karma.

Re: "For drawstrings, attach a large safety pin to one end of the drawstring and use that to work it through. "

I always just tie the ends of drawstrings together with a couple of knots so this can never happen, but invariably if it does happen it will happen on race morning. The safety pin trick works well.
Quote Reply
Re: Very minor triathlon annoyances and hopefully, solutions? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is one I carry extra almost everything so one day I forgot my running shorts but no problem I have an old pair. 3-4miles down the trail I realize the elastic in the liner has worn out and Mr. Wiggly and friends are waving . What to do?? :) is about all there was to do this was on a well used trail.
Quote Reply
Re: Very minor triathlon annoyances and hopefully, solutions? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy solution to #2...my mom discovered it when the drawstrings kept coming out of my suits on the swim team. Much faster than a needle.

Put a small safety pin through the end of the string. Feed the safety pin into the waistband hole. The pin is big enough for you to grip with your fingers in the waistband, and slide along though to the other side. Takes about three minutes. Since it's a safety pin, unlike a needle it won't get caught on the interior of the suit, either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
58. At the race, that annoying guy who won't shave his sasquatch legs, or arms, or back, or wears a fur rug for a shirt, or..........

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) When you get set to go for a ride and you notice one of your tires is flat. ... I usually trash it. It's really annoying not to know, though.

>> Never look back; never second-guess.

2) The drawstring in your shorts/sweats/tights comes all the way out. How in the hell do you get it back in there? There's got to be some sort of technique.

>> I pull them out as soon as I get home from the store. What the hell are those strings for, anyway?

3) Any kind of sound coming from your bike. Very annoying and sometimes time consuming to find. All the while you're just wondering what component you're ruining by continuing to ride.

>> Just the humming of the machine, baby. New noise? Must be a new source of POWER!

4) Forgetting you towel at a swim. Ok, so there's an easy solution to this one.

>> You bring a towel to swimming...? My 5-year-old brings a towel to swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wear underwear when you run?

Yes. And at the request of Big Jim and The Twins, and the preference of most at the board ... I'll leave it at that.

I can't imagine not wearing with underwear (straight-leg boxer briefs).

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon annoyances and hopefully, solutions? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You wear underwear when you run?

Yes. And at the request of Big Jim and The Twins, and the preference of most at the board ... I'll leave it at that. Uh, thanks for that. I guess I just assumed that everyone runs in shorts that include a brief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Naw, I'm not into triathlon attire (or shaving). If I can't beat a bunch of folks while wearing basketball shorts (and having hairy legs), then that's tough poop for me.

=======================
Quote Reply