Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ventum ad on the front page
Quote | Reply
30 minutes faster in an IM? That is quite the claim. I'm shocked Ventum and Dan put this ad on the website, considering the analytical people we have here and the independent wind tunnel testing ST did that showed Ventum to be, from my incomplete recollection, the slowest bike tested.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum ad on the front page [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As always, the context is critical. At least Ventum seem up-front about the data behind that claim on their website.

A sample size of 55 bikes in 2016 and 17 out of total of nearly 5000 could generously be described as "statistically underpowered". I won't even bother going in to correlation vs causation because, as you rightly state, people here are generally well informed but at the end of the day, people will make up their own minds.
Last edited by: awenborn: Aug 22, 18 13:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I see two ads

One reads 18 minutes and the other 30 minutes.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum ad on the front page [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
18 minutes on the bike portion, 30 minutes at the finish line. It seems this must also allow you to run, swim and transition faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well dang -- how do I make sure I get the +30 minute version shipped to me instead of the subpar and crappy 18 minute version?

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is this 'front page' thing you speak of?
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum ad on the front page [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is categorically one of the most ridiculous claims I have ever seen.

So if I get it right, Ventum argues that riders on Ventum bikes finished, on average, 18 minutes faster on the bike leg, and 30 minutes faster overall, compared to riders on other bike brands with at least 20 finishers at Kona in 2016 and 2017.

And what, precisely, does the choice of bike have to do with the time discrepancies?

Ventum, you are on this board, explain to me precisely how you have engineered a bike that is 18 minutes faster rather than just cherry-picking a fact...that is, in this comparison, the avg Ventum rider is faster than the avg rider of another brand? Do you even account for age and gender in this claim? There is absolutely no evidence the bike has anything to do with it. 1.4l for 140 miles of winning...LOL. I guess Ventum riders are all camels and don't need more than 1.4l for ironman.

Claiming credit for the extra 12 minutes on the swim and run disproves the very point Ventum is trying to suggest, eg the ventum makes you faster. Duh...it says the people riding ventums are faster. Publicly available aero data suggests these same ventum riders would be even faster on certain other bikes.

When a bike maker makes BS claims about the speed of its bike instead of presenting credible aero data, you can be very confident the aero data does not support the BS claims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they make running shoes and wetsuits? I need the whole bundled package so I can do 3 hours faster! and recovery socks! so I can recover 6 hours faster!! :P
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum ad on the front page [Sapix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ridiculous claims aside, if they fixed the mess behind the stem and lowered the price by $1,500, I'd consider buying one. As it stands, I can buy a Speed Concept or Canyon with better front end integration, better aero performance and better colours for less, so currently, they're not even on the shortlist. Shame. I like the idea of riding something that no one else has.
Last edited by: benb: Aug 22, 18 21:42
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum ad on the front page [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
That is categorically one of the most ridiculous claims I have ever seen.

It is up there with Specialized's Crowie campaign, for sure.

I can't even find the asterisk on the front page, but whatever -- this is honestly just a really bad marketing choice. Slower athletes, even those who qualify for Kona, are always going to overindex (even in Kona) with respect to bike brands/products sold almost entirely in retail stores relative to faster athletes, who are more likely to be on a Dimond or an Omni or a Canyon. Direct to consumer products like the Ventum are bought by the early adopter, and the early adopter in the equipment space happens to be the faster, more serious athlete. Those who want some apathetic idiot in a bike shop to help them with their bike purchase are going to be, in general, slower.

This is the slowtwitch effect. The reason why it seems like everyone on these boards is fast is because many of them are, and far faster proportionally than almost any other community (and also because they'll tell you about it).

Ventum is heavy on marketing and short on product. I would never buy that bike in its current configuration -- not at any price. How long does it take for them to engineer a front end that I cannot buy on Aliexpress?
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum ad on the front page [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree about the ventum. Did your omni review ever happen? I remember hearing it was coming soon, but never saw it. Seems like an intriguing bike
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum ad on the front page [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Totally agree about the ventum. Did your omni review ever happen? I remember hearing it was coming soon, but never saw it. Seems like an intriguing bike

It didn’t — it is long and more than half written. I do hope to finish it. I will finish it. I just have so much to say about it, both good and bad, and the presentation of the bad in a way that is both fair to TriRig and representative of those failings is...I’ve basically had writers block with it.

Without giving anything away about the product itself, what I learned most from the Omni is this: just because a bike can be made to fit does not mean it fits; just because you can hit your pad x/y does not mean you chose the right rig. The small Omni did not fit me well, and that was a deal breaker for me, aside from everything else
Quote Reply