Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ventum NS1 first impressions
Quote | Reply
First, I have absolutely no relation to Ventum other than I really enjoy their bikes.

I built up the NS1 with Campy Super Record EPS, Quarq with Absolute Black chainrings, ENVE 4.5ar with Schwalbe Pro One 28mm tubeless tires and the really nice fully integrated Ventum bars. This thing looks amazing and it’s incredibly light for being a disc brake bike with wide/deep rims, just under 16lbs.

So how does it ride? Deceiving fast, feels like you’re noodling along and all of a sudden your 3-4mph faster than you think you are going. The frame is also very stiff, but in the right way. Never harsh, doesn’t beat you up, but stomp on the pedals and it’s zero flex. I’m not the heaviest guy, but I used to be a sprinter when I raced and I still have a bit of a punch (1300-1400W sprints are still there...) and when you stomp on the pedals it’s instant acceleration.

The stiffness also continuous to the front end and quick decent are a blast. You can really push this bike and go downhill very quickly.

Best way I can describe it is cruise missile with rocket acceleration combined with a magic carpet ride.

More to come after I spend a month or so on it.

For reference, my other road bike is a Pinarello F8, so no slouch. I expected the Ventum to be slightly stiffer but i didn’t expect it to be as comfortable. I was right on the first and completely wrong on the second.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum NS1 first impressions [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice weight... I built my BMC TMR01 to about 16.4lbs with same wheelset.... ofcourse I get the big weight penalty of essentially carrying around a full saddle bag with the aero integration of the bottles and storage.

I'll tell you from experience a lot of the comfort is coming from those 4.5ARs with 28mm tires..
Last edited by: spntrxi: Jun 14, 19 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum NS1 first impressions [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
I'll tell you from experience a lot of the comfort is coming from those 4.5ARs with 28mm tires..

They definitely do help, but I see just how much I used my wife’s wheels, Campy Bora 35’s with 25mm Conti GP4000S, and yes there’s a difference but less so than I thought. The NS1 was still remarkably comfortable

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$5k for a frameset? That's a lot of dough.

All these new aero road bikes look the same to me; take the logos away, this could be any of these: Cannondale SystemSix, Cervelo S3, Spesh Venge, Canyon Aeroad, et al. They all have bigger clearance, aero tubing with similar top-tube/seat-tube joint, the dropdown seatstays, aero stem, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
audiojan wrote:
spntrxi wrote:

They definitely do help, but I see just how much I used my wife’s wheels, Campy Bora 35’s with 25mm Conti GP4000S, and yes there’s a difference but less so than I thought. The NS1 was still remarkably comfortable

when I first built my BMC I was on Turbo Cotton 26mm with Roval CLX wheels.. yeah it was pretty good, but being roadbikeless for a number of months and riding my All road bike (650Bx47) it was quite a change... put the 4.5ARs on with 28mm pro-one at roughly 55psi.. and wow not bad at all.. compared to TurboCotton at 90psi.. Just got some 28mm Conti 5000TL for the Rovals and really looking forward to riding this weekend. The BMC is a pretty comfy aero bike as well... I was considering NS1 since I could get a descent discount on it... same as the bro deal I got on my BMC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the speed sensation. It feels fast.

I know that’s a terrible pseudo science data point, but I really like going fast on that Ventum
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum NS1 first impressions [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Agreed on the speed sensation. It feels fast.

I know that’s a terrible pseudo science data point, but I really like going fast on that Ventum

It’s a strange feeling. I feel fast on the Pinarello but I’m going faster on the Ventum

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much has it taken off your 10 mile TT time?
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum NS1 first impressions [ianm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianm wrote:
How much has it taken off your 10 mile TT time?

No idea. I rarely do TT’s on my road bike. There’s doubt in my mind that I’d be quicker on the NS1 vs my F8, which is by far not a bad bike!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

Quote Reply
Re: Ventum NS1 first impressions [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah a whole lot of money. Especially when better can be had for the same or less money by a well established brand.

I think the bike looks good, but it is priced at least 3k too high.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum NS1 first impressions [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Yeah a whole lot of money. Especially when better can be had for the same or less money by a well established brand.

Not cheap, I give you that, but I'm not so sure I could've built a much better bike for the money.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know where this frame is made? I've seen similar shapes from Chinese manufacturers, just wondering which one is making this frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum NS1 first impressions [Matthew Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, but I’m pretty sure it’s the same company that they worked with on the tri bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No offense man but it's a lot of dough for a no-name frame. The least they could do is make information available on why someone should drop $5k on this frameset and not a S-Works Venge, for example. I was intrigued about this bike but not anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum NS1 first impressions [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:

as the owner of a latest gen aero superbike... I think they are all priced $3k to high :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum NS1 first impressions [Matthew Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matthew Smith wrote:
No offense man but it's a lot of dough for a no-name frame. The least they could do is make information available on why someone should drop $5k on this frameset and not a S-Works Venge, for example. I was intrigued about this bike but not anymore.

Or a new S5, or Madone.. but yeah, that's the point I was making.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply