Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Venge vs S5 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:

Consider Noteworthy? You don't consider weight noteworthy? Per the article the Venge was the lightest bike they tested while the S5 was the heaviest.

No, given the handful of grams difference, it is not noteworthy.

Quote:

And if Torstional stiffness is just a "victory celebration" than why is it so important to so many different manufactuers?

because it is really really hard to offer any meaningful differentiation with a bike. its a fucking bike. even the S5 aero features hardly matter unless you are doing an Eddy M TT at a competitive level, and that stuff takes big engineering brains and money to pull off.

so, you have marketing go on about stiffness and weight, even though you know full well all of the good bikes among your competition are WAY beyond stiff enough to do anything anyone on this planet will throw at it, and that the weight difference are too small to matter in any context other than a hill climb TT =)

It's called nit picking Jack. That's what we do here (ST). I believe you won't be able to find many, if any, people on here that think weight is completely non-noteworthy. So for him to say that it's not noteworthy is BS. That's what I was calling him out on. Now, the degree as to it's noteworthy-ness is still TBD.

Quote Reply
Re: Venge vs S5 [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, three of us in this thread think the weight and stiffness differences are not noteworthy.

Hell I think the aero differences aren't really noteworthy either!

But less so than the other two =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Venge vs S5 [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe you won't be able to find many, if any, people on here that think weight is completely non-noteworthy.

Lots of people are willing to argue the point but I haven't seen any that walk the walk or ride the ride. Unless you're riding Apex or 105, for example, you've paid good money for nothing more than weight

What I find odd about the weight doesn't matter crowd is, for almost all of them, I could find enough money spent on weight loss on there bikes to pay for a windtunnel session. Yet very few have actually spent money on a WT session.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Venge vs S5 [ollie3856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an SWorks Venge built to 16 lbs and absolutely love it. I can't comment on the comparison to an S5, but In my opinion, the ride quality complaints about the Venge are entirely unfounded. The bike rides great and is not overly harsh by any stretch. I am frequently on my bike for 5+ hour rides and the Venge doesn't beat me up any more than another bike. I have also ridden the bike in several races with dirt sections and while it is a bit "livelier" than I would like when it gets really rough, it isn't enough to make me consider another bike.

The bikes stiffness really shines when sprinting at BIG watts. The steering and BB stiffness are just so solid and confidence inspiring.
Quote Reply
Re: Venge vs S5 [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Psh, every single person riding Flo wheels is talking the talking!

Or Hed Jets for that matter, to a lesser degree.

and people with wheel covers.

styrrell wrote:
I believe you won't be able to find many, if any, people on here that think weight is completely non-noteworthy.

Lots of people are willing to argue the point but I haven't seen any that walk the walk or ride the ride. Unless you're riding Apex or 105, for example, you've paid good money for nothing more than weight

What I find odd about the weight doesn't matter crowd is, for almost all of them, I could find enough money spent on weight loss on there bikes to pay for a windtunnel session. Yet very few have actually spent money on a WT session.

Quote Reply
Re: Venge vs S5 [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my S5. It does all I want it to and can do way more than I am able to make it.

My GF rides for a Specialized team, and a lot of the guys there have Venges. Damn, those are sexy bikes.

But, in the end the data, to me, seem to skew to the S5. And, my engineer's mind likes the data.

Disclosure: I ride for a Cervelo Dealer's team.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You missed the word completely if you think weight is completely unimportant then you wouldn't spend any money on anything which solely lessens weight.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But nobody thinks that

styrrell wrote:
You missed the word completely if you think weight is completely unimportant then you wouldn't spend any money on anything which solely lessens weight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Unless you're riding Apex or 105, for example, you've paid good money for nothing more than weight

This doesn't make any sense
Quote Reply
Re: Venge vs S5 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry nothing more than weight loss.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S5 VWD is lighter than any version Venge anyways in the real world, so that point is moot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You keep telling yourself that DA 9000 is just lighter than 105 and not better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right not their isn't a simlar group but they just announced Ultegra 11 speed. So go with that. Still I doubt anyone has lost when the sole difference in bikes is DA9000 vs 105.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:

Lots of people are willing to argue the point but I haven't seen any that walk the walk or ride the ride.

I do.

styrrell wrote:
Unless you're riding Apex or 105, for example, you've paid good money for nothing more than weight

We could go through the equipment on my bikes, and you might say "You could be just as fast on lower level equipment!" and then I'd have to explain all the ways (and horse trading) that the various equipment I use has been acquired and the little, or no (or, sometimes negative) incremental cost for each.

In reality, if I were to start from scratch and had no equipment, or access to the used market...I'd be perfectly happy, and just as fast on a base model S5 using Rival as I am on that same bike using the (used) Red parts I have on there now.

There's a reason I still use a $25 Scott 100K bar for TTs...and a reason that Robert refers to me as "The CheapAss Engineer^tm" ;-)

styrrell wrote:

I still probably wouldn't spend the money on a tunnel visit...I find field testing to be more convenient, easier, and nearly as effective overall, not to mention considerably less expensive.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Venge vs S5 [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to bring things back around, if I were you, I'd hang on to the SLC-SL no matter what you get next, until you're sure the new one is an improvement over the SLC.
Quote Reply
Re: Venge vs S5 [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep--that's the plan....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Speed Concept 7.0 with Apex and am stoked about my new Flo wheels. I would rather be on a 9.0 with Red and Zipps. I wish my bike was lighter, but not for what it would cost.

Side note: I do have a 2008 Scott Addict with mostly Rival that is 14.5 lbs (Enve 1.45 tubulars help) and I CAN tell a difference when riding up. And down, for that matter.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Venge vs S5 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
You want to checkout Velonews' Aero Revisited article. The S5 beat the Venge by 5W @ 30MPH, and the Venge didn't beat the S5 in any way I consider noteworthy.

The Litespeed won the overall, but only because their "scientific weighting" scheme does not use Slowtwitch-approved relative weights, e.g. where attaching a sack of anvils to your top-tube is preferable to losing 0.0001CdA, and where stiffness is only important for "victory celebration" and not your bottom bracket.

I don't think you read that article right. The litespeed got last place.

As for wether the Venge beats the S5 in any meaniful way. I bought the Venge over the S5 because I liked the ride quality, better stiffness and lighter.
Quote Reply
Re: Venge vs S5 [stodr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>I don't think you read that article right. The litespeed got last place.

Yeah, meant Scott Foil...my bad.
Quote Reply

Prev Next