Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date?
Quote | Reply
According to this site the new veloflex rolls faster than Corsa speed.
http://www.cyclesetforme.fr/test-roulem ... ord-23-mm/

2,5 Watts faster than corsa speed

This might be flying very close to the sun but i am temped to use them for my IM Nice 2021.
They only have to last 180 K.
Last edited by: Jo O.: Sep 3, 20 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [Jo O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Veloflex makes - and always has made - great tires. I raced on Records numerous times when i first started racing. They were fantastic. I'd certainly consider them a viable Ironman tire.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the AeroCoach data still has the Corsa on top overall. Best check their results.
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aerocoach tested the old model not the latest.
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new one seem even thinner 135 grams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Veloflex makes - and always has made - great tires. I raced on Records numerous times when i first started racing. They were fantastic. I'd certainly consider them a viable Ironman tire.

That reminds of when I used to talk Veloflex Records up quite a bit. I think it was Ironman Texas 2014 and I had either a flat right in front of you or Chris Mcdonald just a few miles out of transition. I believe it was you because I was sort of cringing thinking you were shaking your head about rolling the dice with the Record. Didn't think you would consider them a viable Ironman tire. Regardless I concur. Some of the best tires I have ever used. Strangely enough my first set of aero wheels had a Veloflex Record, tubular, and to this day I remember thinking how that bad boy felt racing. Felt fast, handled great.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I think the AeroCoach data still has the Corsa on top overall. Best check their results.
I'm guessing they'll be testing this tire asap. 1.5w faster than the Corsa speed is a pretty insane claim. I kind of figured any gains past what were at right now would be significantly more marginal than that.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jo O. wrote:
Aerocoach tested the old model not the latest.

Probably. I tested one I bought last year and Crr was significantly higher than the Pista clincher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jo O. wrote:

This might be flying very close to the sun but i am temped to use them for my IM Nice 2021.

I can't see any speed data in his result pictures. How is he equalising speed across his runs? Does he take into account different circumference for different tyres?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered a couple pairs straight from Veloflex, they arrived today.

They are THIN!!!! They make Corsa Speeds feel like Gatorskins in comparison. I will try them out this week but can’t imagine durability will be anything I’d want to ride on anything except a race.

Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:

They are THIN!!!! They make Corsa Speeds feel like Gatorskins in comparison. I will try them out this week but can’t imagine durability will be anything I’d want to ride on anything except a race.

I was considering them for my first gen swissside wheels.
But swissside tress that the tire shouldn’t be a slick in order to keep the sailing effect.

Is there any tread pattern on the records?
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Jo O. wrote:

I can't see any speed data in his result pictures. How is he equalising speed across his runs? Does he take into account different circumference for different tyres?

Sorry, I missed your question.
He rides at 41 km/h.
Speed measured by the rollers.
He applies a 41/30 to normalise to 30 km/h rollers.
Finally he divides by a fixed factor to estimate the losses on the road.
His data correlates very well with brr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerocoach seems to confirm it. So there is a new king in town... BUT is this really a fair tire to compare to the Corsa Speed G2.0? At 144g for the Veloflex Record, it seems like they have taken what should be a track tire and labeled it for road use. I found the Corsa Speed G1.0s to be very delicate, but in my n=1 experience, the G2.0s are much more durable, to the point where I would feel safe using them for a race on anything but the worst pavement.

Aerocoach rolling resistance report

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally wore out my corsa speed 1.0s, which were surprisingly durable, and was waiting for the aero coach test before deciding on Veloflex or the corsa speed 2.0. I'll be giving the records a go.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Oct 5, 20 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The veloflex does seem to be more of a track tire than a real road tire.
Might be worth the gamble for 1/4 Tri but perhaps not for full IM.

The aerocoach data regarding the aerodynamics of tires also does not seem match the advice of Swiss Side.
Swiss Side put a lot of emphasis on only using a front tire with a pattern in it like GP 5000 or Shwalbe to avoid loosing the 'sailing effect'

So I am on the fence of what to choose for my IM.
Perhaps conti 23 mm front and 25 mm corsa speed in the back if the safest bet.

I am surpised by the measurements Xavier got from the Pirelli zeo tt.
Quite a bit better than measured by BRR.
Was this model perhaps changed?

Anyways nice work from Xavier to make all this data available for us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jo O. wrote:

The aerocoach data regarding the aerodynamics of tires also does not seem match the advice of Swiss Side.
Swiss Side put a lot of emphasis on only using a front tire with a pattern in it like GP 5000 or Shwalbe to avoid loosing the 'sailing effect'

The Schwalbe and GP5000 are much more aero, we've also found that. Just that the rolling resistance of a GP5000 isn't good enough to make it quicker than a Corsa Speed in the real world. There is a case for using one of our Zephyrs (78mm deep) with a Schwalbe Pro One TT instead of a Corsa Speed in blustery conditions however.

If you're not sure then go Schwalbe Pro One TT - great tyre, more puncture resistant than a Corsa Speed but quicker rolling than a GP5000.

Don't forget BRR use butyl tubes for their testing, we use latex tubes (so our clinchers look "faster" than BRR)

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:

So, you will only ride the tire you are worried about durability/puncturing when it matters most?
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Jo O. wrote:

The Schwalbe and GP5000 are much more aero, we've also found that. Just that the rolling resistance of a GP5000 isn't good enough to make it quicker than a Corsa Speed in the real world. There is a case for using one of our Zephyrs (78mm deep) with a Schwalbe Pro One TT instead of a Corsa Speed in blustery conditions however.

If you're not sure then go Schwalbe Pro One TT - great tyre, more puncture resistant than a Corsa Speed but quicker rolling than a GP5000.

Don't forget BRR use butyl tubes for their testing, we use latex tubes (so our clinchers look "faster" than BRR)

It seems schwalbe one tt is not available in 23mm . My wheels are 1st gen Swiss side 23 ext external 17 internal. According to brr the schwalbe 25 become 27 mm when mounted on 622-17 rims. Not great for aero I would think.
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
IKnowEverything wrote:

So, you will only ride the tire you are worried about durability/puncturing when it matters most?

Uh, yeah? Increased exposure/wear, increased risk. Should I be racing on Gatorskins?

Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

What, you were planning to use this tire as a training tire? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

I do. I plan on knowing what I have before I commit to use them in a race. Small investment for peace of mind. Actually, I should clarify, I might put 100-150 miles on them a month. I have more bikes than time to ride them all.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
trail wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

I do. I plan on knowing what I have before I commit to use them in a race. Small investment for peace of mind. Actually, I should clarify, I might put 100-150 miles on them a month. I have more bikes than time to ride them all.

That’s a more sensible approach.
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
I do. I plan on knowing what I have before I commit to use them in a race.

Oh absolutely. If it works for you, I'll take 'em for a couple hundred miles around Fiesta Island, which has a good mix of moderately rough road and bits of glass and rock. But only Fiesta Island because then I'm never more than like 2 miles from my car. This tire doesn't look like the something I'd ever take on a full weekend ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Velofex record MY 2020 fastest tire to date? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'm never more than like 2 miles from my car. This tire doesn't look like the something I'd ever take on a full weekend ride.

Smart. I have a very understanding wife who doesn't mind coming to get me when I make bonehead moves. I guess i'll prep the bike rack on the car before I head out. :)

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
The old Record was a great tire and I wouldn't even think twice about racing them. I also race Corsa Speeds and Conti GP SuperSonics in all sorts of conditions (i.e. potholes etc) and have generally had good luck. That said, this new Record is another level of thin-ness. I just compared them side by side (the old tubie Record and the new clincher Record). Build is very similar but I'd swear the tread on the new clincher is half as thick as the old tubie. Those STers who are remotely freaked by Corsa Speeds shouldn't go near this one.
Quote Reply

Prev Next