Yea but so is putting on a aero sock in T1

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Plugging in the aero savings into my best bike split simulation for IM Boulder gets me 8:12 faster (edit - my previous math error had me at 10 watts saved and 6:50 faster - now it is 12 watts)

I understand this really seems like a lot. But that's what the simulations say.

Wow! This whole project sounds amazing!

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should be available in Europe. You might have to get them shipped from the US though.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a little Chung testing today and I must say.... I'm never wearing velcro tri shoes again.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedplay compatible right?

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's 3-hole but speedplay works great with it and is what I recommend. Putting a flat spot on the sole for a 4-hole solution I think would actually be less aero.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many watts are we talking between something like the Mavic Cosmic Elite Tri shoe Vs Empire SLX Vs Velovetta?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [ctkidd_23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be releasing the wind tunnel test results we got yesterday at A2 soon. It will go out first to our email list (get on it at velovetta.com!)
photo credit: Kenny Withrow

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Oct 31, 19 20:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exciting! I don't see a place to sign up for the email list on the website (mobile chrome). Is it the same as the contact form?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Exciting! I don't see a place to sign up for the email list on the website (mobile chrome). Is it the same as the contact form?

A window should appear about 4 seconds after you get to the webpage to offer you to be able to sign up, should work on mobile too...

But if you send in a message from the contact form and accept the privacy conditions you will also be on the list.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Nov 1, 19 5:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will there by any fore/aft adjustment for cleats (please say "yes"!!)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the results are incredible! I’m excited about this shoe coming to market!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - it will be a three-hole mount, and there will be slots that the mounts slide in, as well as the adjustment that's built in to the cleat.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, congrats on the great WT results! What's next??
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 1, 19 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive results. I know some folks have found the shoe only velotoez to test out faster than the full length version. Any reason you chose the latter?

Also, did you try to pedal with a different foot angle at all? I'm curious how angle of attack affects your shoe.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I'll be releasing the wind tunnel test results we got yesterday at A2 soon. It will go out first to our email list (get on it at velovetta.com!)
photo credit: Kenny Withrow

Is that speedplay base plate the same on all shoes?

It looks thinner on the Velo
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I chose the full-length version just because that's the most typical TT choice.

According to Geoff who runs the tunnel, aero shoe cover results have not been super-consistent. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower.

Edit - it might be that the texture on those Castelli socks might just happen to be advantageous... who knows.

After 7 12 minute runs (I had to re-do at least one because I moved my position!) I was a pooped - I'm totally out of shape since I have not been on a bike for 8 weeks. I wanted to experiment with pedaling style, but I had already gone over my 2 hours of reserved tunnel time and it was getting harder for me to really be steady and keep a good position. But that is definitely something I want to do in the future.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Nov 1, 19 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the same stock adapter on all shoes.

the shape of the velovetta shoe is a bit different from almost all other shoes and obscures the view of it a little more than others in these pictures. Also, the angle of the camera was not the same in all these photos. Kenny Withrow took all the photos and he would dash in with me before the start of each run and snap as much as he could as I was getting settled on the bike.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I chose the full-length version just because that's the most typical TT choice.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I changed to shoe only this year and the tunnel numbers looked crazy...though, I didn't test the long on that day.

RowToTri wrote:
After 7 12 minute runs (I had to re-do at least one because I moved my position!) I was a pooped - I'm totally out of shape since I have not been on a bike for 8 weeks. I wanted to experiment with pedaling style, but I had already gone over my 2 hours of reserved tunnel time and it was getting harder for me to really be steady and keep a good position. But that is definitely something I want to do in the future.

hahaha...yeah, I know the feeling. I was actually going to volunteer to be your test dummy, but thought it a bit too presumptuous. Plus shoe size was an issue.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
It's the same stock adapter on all shoes.

the shape of the velovetta shoe is a bit different from almost all other shoes and obscures the view of it a little more than others in these pictures. Also, the angle of the camera was not the same in all these photos. Kenny Withrow took all the photos and he would dash in with me before the start of each run and snap as much as he could as I was getting settled on the bike.

WOW!

impressive for sure

Thank you

You may want to draw attention to this fact
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe this is just me...but would this have a greater yield for a slower rider? Because at the pointy end it seems like a marginal gain...and yes I understand that 32 seconds on a 40KM TT is a lifetime. Very impressive.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you brink up the 40k example, that was for a rider who can do 1 hour wearing an S-Works 7 road shoe saving 32 seconds in a VeloVetta shoe

If you use the example of a much much stronger rider, the number of Watts he "saves" is waaayyyyy bigger than the 1 hour rider. But he goes 30.7 (if memory serves me correctly, not at my computer now) seconds faster because he's already spending less time on the course.

Make sense?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive results! I'm afraid these will be more money than I want to spend on a pair of shoes but we'll see. But even at a premium price point there are plenty of triathletes & TTers not afraid to pony up for something like this. Good luck with the project!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excited to see the results. If your CFD results pan out that would be pretty incredible. Some of your two-tone mock ups look very slick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Yes - it will be a three-hole mount, and there will be slots that the mounts slide in, as well as the adjustment that's built in to the cleat.

Mid-foot option?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply

Prev Next