Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People care about what the bottom of their shoe looks like??? Umm no, matte is fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Because most people don't do flying mounts and dismounts?

If someone looks at those shoes and does not do that....

I think the time saved by doing flying (dis)mounts is going to be way less than potential time savings over 90/180km.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The updated name and type are an improvement. I like your mountain/falcon symbol. I approve. (This was a criticism from me last time)

So...how much and when?

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
pk wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

I think the time saved by doing flying (dis)mounts is going to be way less than potential time savings over 90/180km.

But unlike a bike or group set, cycle shoes are not a status symbol, so I would think 90 plus % of the people that buy those shoes have spend a few hours practise on fly mount and dismount.
Or in other words while I have seen a few 15000 $ cervelos walked up the hill in races I have not seen somebody with custom shoes push up a hill.

And I'm not saying it's a bad thing to walk with an expensive bike but I think the people that buy those shoes have most likely ticked most low hanging fruits like fly mount
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So available before Boulder Peak? Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you like the new logo/font! It was fun to work on, even though I have no particular expertise in that arena.

The best I can say on time frame is available fall of 2019. And put some big error bars around that! I'm not prioritizing a release date. I am prioritizing doing what's best for the product.

As for price, I do not know yet. You can probably tell that this shoe will be more expensive to manufacture than a conventional shoe, both on the line, but also it will require significantly more up front investment in tooling and molds. That being said, I will price it within the mainstream.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Dan! It was great meeting you at TBI! Keep up the great work.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if I thought I could design a boundary layer trip that would work throughout the pedal stroke, and reliably create a turbulent boundary layer that would delay separation in the right areas, I would do it. But that kind of thing is pretty hard to model accurately and even if I could model it, designing it to work on a shoe that is following the kind of path that it does during a pedal stroke would be quite challenging. So I have not even tried.

Maybe just covering it in a texture such as aero socks would help - but I think I cannot analyze that with CFD reasonably. I could test it in the tunnel. Maybe we could make prototypes with both smooth and textured upper materials and test them both in the tunnel - but we have to mete out our resources carefully...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri@thlete wrote:

Also, could you put in a boa dial in the rear? Maybe that dial is easy to tighten, but if you are mounting your bike and tightening the shoe, it looks like you'll need a your thumb inside the shoe at the heel, then turn that dial. Would an exterior boa be better?

I'm in London, shipping is easier her from Spain/Italy. Happy to test! :)

Oh and as to the BOA, maybe the way the closure works is not clear. That black dial on the back is used to set the tension ahead of time. Then you flip the lever open to open up the shoe. When you put your foot in the shoe all you have to do is close the lever and the shoe closes to your preferred tension in that one motion.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow...I can’t wait. Signed up and eagerly waiting on these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
pk wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

But unlike a bike or group set, cycle shoes are not a status symbol, so I would think 90 plus % of the people that buy those shoes have spend a few hours practise on fly mount and dismount.
Or in other words while I have seen a few 15000 $ cervelos walked up the hill in races I have not seen somebody with custom shoes push up a hill.

And I'm not saying it's a bad thing to walk with an expensive bike but I think the people that buy those shoes have most likely ticked most low hanging fruits like fly mount

Well I'm team socks, so I won't be doing any flying mount/dismount crap. I also like my huevos intact. Yet, I'm very interested in the shoe.

RowToTri wrote:
I'm glad you like the new logo/font! It was fun to work on, even though I have no particular expertise in that arena.

The best I can say on time frame is available fall of 2019. And put some big error bars around that! I'm not prioritizing a release date. I am prioritizing doing what's best for the product.

As for price, I do not know yet. You can probably tell that this shoe will be more expensive to manufacture than a conventional shoe, both on the line, but also it will require significantly more up front investment in tooling and molds. That being said, I will price it within the mainstream.

So like a top of the line Sidi? $4-500?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Feb 21, 19 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is higher. $6-800
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This black/red version is awesome. Just make sure to make it possible to place the cleats far back on the shoe.
But i really would give this black/red option a go.

I will subscripe on your website to be updated.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
My guess is higher. $6-800

I can't say much about price, but I can say that it will be no where near this.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is clever as hell. VERY cool.

Still have some modicum of adjustability on the fly, but the gross in/out part is super quick and easy.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any luck on finding a price?

Go where you feel most alive. |TriHub
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [Alphatri36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because WTC in all of their wisdom has mostly banned this practice...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s encouraging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in need of some new shoes. I liked the looks of S-works road 6 and Fizik Transiro, but they were really uncomfortable to me. Hopefully for me I find something sooner than Fall, but still I wonder: any plans for a size 38.5 with a wide toe box?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, those are both great shoes but not ones I would recommend to people looking for a wide toe box. Our forefoot will be wider than those but not super wide. Kind of similar to Shimano s-phyre in width. The heel feels pretty similar to the s-works road shoe- fairly narrow and locks the heel down. We'll have a 38.5.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
pk wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

If the shoe was designed so that you had to keep them clipped in and you couldn't walk in them...it would be comical to watch someone with said shoes get a flat. Would you dare try to ride one handed while undoing your shoes before coasting to a stop with a flat front tire? Or do you stop first, then undo your shoes before dismounting your bike and fixing your flat bare foot? I know it's not the end of the world if that were the case...but it would be funny to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of doing a video series while we get the shoe ready for production and was wondering if you guys would be interested. It would basically be a startup story, but that would of course include some cool techy stuff about the product. I think we should be able to throw some humor in there too.... Would you all be interested in that if it went out to our mailing list with little 15 second snippets of it on IG/FB? Probably 1 video every few weeks.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Feb 22, 19 9:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The video would definitely be interesting
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Because WTC in all of their wisdom has mostly banned this practice...

Where are you? I have raced all over the US and haven't had any shoe limitations at any event
Quote Reply

Prev Next