Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Good job. I'll be keeping an eye on development of this.

Just please don't use that typeface.
And offer a couple colour variants too (neutral black/white for example - because kit matching is important)

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I love the concept. A few ideas for you:

1. Please make a wide version! I know the extra lasts will increase your investment but wide-fit tri shoes are so hard to come by that you'd likely have the market to yourself by default.

Fantastic design, awesome but this - please have a wide shoe!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks awesome.
But, of course, the devil is in the details and in the execution.
Hope your patent is tight because some entity will soon will try to circumvent your claims. But hopefully not.

Would love see this make it to market. Let me know if you need any volunteer testers !

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What don't you like about the font? I've been looking for a reason to use it for a while now!

I get the neutral color thing, but making another all black or all white shoe seems so boring. I've always thought Swiss olympic team uniforms looked sharp for some reason and that was my inspiration for the color scheme.

Maybe I'll be able to do 2 color schemes and make one of them a little more "universal"...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all of you guys that want a wide shoe, what brands fit you best?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the Comic Sans of "techy fonts" :p

I agree with you. I like the colours. But it opens up sales when you have a second, more universal option. You could make this shoe look pretty ace in black/white/grey - think patterns or overlays of the three tones.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and I've still got a long way to go to figure out all of those little details.

I've got a long and successful relationship with my patent attorney and together we are pretty darn good at developing effective claims that provide real protection and we are 100% on getting issued patents.

We have filed multiple patents on multiple features of this shoe.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered making the sole using a thermoplastic resin so they can be molded to people's feet? Don't know if that would mess up the aerodynamics, but a couple guys in my lab are using something like that to make ski boots, they think it's really cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Lake for me. Wide at the front, but not so much at the heel and not super-high volume like Sidi Megas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northwave Tribute. They only make one width but it super-wide, must be EEEE.
I am really an EE but until these die, I'll use them.

For racing I use a high end Northwave shoe that evidently they don't make anymore. It's a little narrow but I am OK for sprints and olys.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean a heat-moldable footbed or the actual outsole that the cleat attaches to?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops... I made a math error when originally posting. Total drag reduction in the simulation for a pair of shoes at 22.4 mph (36kph) is 1.22 Newtons, or 124 grams-force or about 12 watts.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jun 1, 18 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black might be boring but it's a very safe bet for triathlon. White tri shoes get dirty very quickly and any color you choose might limit your market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

I wear Altra running shoes and Bont "wide" cycling shoes. Sidi Mega also fits me reasonably well. I really like the design of the Bont sole as the "bathtub" gives you a very stable pedaling platform. Friends of mine who didn't have wide feet but did have knee problems swear fixed said knee problems by switching to Bont shoes and zero float cleats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bont and Altra Like others have stated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very clever how the under-heel area goes to a tapered aero "ridge".

That said, if in a race, one wants the aero benefit of this ridge but one must also walk or run with the shoes in T1 or T2 (due to an idiotic rule), how stable will the shoe be when walking?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

I ride Shimano Wide's and have ran in Altra in the past - I think something like the Bont shape or width is the ticket (although I have not tried them)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok next question about wide feet... What size?

If you guys are concentrated in the most popular sizes it may be possible to make a wide version for just that middle 50% range and it might be economical.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

If you guys are concentrated in the most popular sizes it may be possible to make a wide version for just that middle 50% range and it might be economical.

Thats a great question - I wear a US 9 wide and depending on the shape of the shoe jump between a 9 and 10.

I imagine 9 - 11 is going to be the sweet spot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Big-footed guy here, normal width though. 50 in LG and Shimano are prefect for me, but I've been frustrated that Specialized and Pearl top out (I think) at 48...or at least they used to the last time I was in the market for a shoe. Congrats on this - great work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can send you the dimensions of my D2's sometime after Tuesday.

better yet PM me where you want me to measure and I'll break out the calipers

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Size 9-10 depending on company. Amazing work, these look awesome

teddygram wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Thats a great question - I wear a US 9 wide and depending on the shape of the shoe jump between a 9 and 10.

I imagine 9 - 11 is going to be the sweet spot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So looking at your CFD images, is the flat area on the heel, that has the ratchet, designed to be a Kahm tail? Did you consider Kahm tail airfoils for maybe the heel bottom to add some stability for walking?

Also, you mentioned that the Bonts have some design flaws. Care to mention what is wrong with the design? I was always curious to know if there was ever any real windtunnel work done by Bont or Rocket. Both of those aero shoes pre-dated CFD and I never saw either company mention their design work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks fun.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lever on the back has a gap in it because the cables have to be able to pass through it when it opens. I'm not trying to do a Kam tail. It would be better if I didn't need that gap, but the air is basically converged by then so I don't think it is too detrimental.

The bont shoe has 2 major issues, maybe 3. Most of the time- especially if you are on a TT bike- you are in a toe down position other than at the bottom of the pedal stroke. So the shape of the sole is really important as it is the trailing edge. They have shaped the sole, but they used the wrong shape. I'm on my cell phone so I can't draw a picture easily but it will not do a great job at reducing turbulence and low pressure behind the shoe.

The second major issue is that they extended the toe into a pointy shape, like a jet fighter. When the shoe is level this is probably beneficial but when it's in a toe down position it's extra frontal area that is very poorly shaped.

I think their heel shape is bad too but I'm not ready to elaborate.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next