Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaredhartshorn wrote:
Yeah, Ed put up a nice insta post saying that the shoes were in use at the TT, but haven't seen the official pics. They look slick!

Now hurry up and release them to everyone who isn't a part of Velovetta/close to the designer haha

I promise I'm not holding them back... Coronavirus has the whole country of Italy on lockdown.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They look awesome! The swooped heal reminds me of the Next%.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
jaredhartshorn wrote:
Yeah, Ed put up a nice insta post saying that the shoes were in use at the TT, but haven't seen the official pics. They look slick!

Now hurry up and release them to everyone who isn't a part of Velovetta/close to the designer haha

I promise I'm not holding them back... Coronavirus has the whole country of Italy on lockdown.

were all gonna die!!!!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know, I know. It's unfortunate that... I'll be one of the first to order a pair when they are officially (or unofficially) released
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed:
Reading through the long thread I did not see mention of how comfortable the shoe will be without socks, and I see the test pics with socks on. Is the shoe designed with bare feet in mind? Thanks, and sorry if this was addressed somewhere already. Add me to the growing list of very interested customers. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [Danmelbre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey-

Because there is no tongue and no opening at all along the front of the shoe (and padding over the top of the foot) and no seams at all other than around the elastic on the sides, they are quite comfortable without socks. The inside is just the mesh fabric that the polyurethane upper material is laminated to.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guessing your supply chain is still pretty much at a stand still? Doing Muncie in a few weeks and need to figure out the shoe situation. I'll 100% grab a pair when they're available.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's an update on what's happening with the shoe, and a glance at a new feature.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update....really looking forward to these. I have to imagine that the amount of time/energy you have had to pour into this project has greatly exceeded any initial expectations. But, looks like the finished product will be something you can be very proud of.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 11, 20 17:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. So the soft part of the shoe will be made in Italy and you are attaching your own bits or does a finished shoe come out of Italy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update, Ed. Been following for a while now, and feeling even more invested in the project since my Lintaman order turned out to be a sham. Can't wait for these to launch.

Keep up the great work!
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems like I underestimate the difficulty of almost everything I undertake (Like repairing my deck during lockdown)! But this one definitely had some challenges that no one could have foreseen. But we'll cross the finish line, for sure. Thanks for the kind words!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Aug 12, 20 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Cool. So the soft part of the shoe will be made in Italy and you are attaching your own bits or does a finished shoe come out of Italy?

The whole thing is being made in Italy - Uppers, carbon sole, plastic parts, insoles, and final assembly.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to read about your trouble with Lintaman.

Lots of people tried to get me to do a pre-order, but there are so many things beyond my control that can cause delays that I do not want to take anyone's money until I actually have shoes to sell them. (I explained this to one person that wanted a gift certificate, and they just sent me money anyway and made up their own gift certificate.... I did not accept the money, of course.)

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Aug 12, 20 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,
This is such a promising project..
Are there any news or updates?
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [Discus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey -

Thanks for checking in.

Just as we were starting to get going again, Italy is basically shut down again. We are working on getting our first set of molds made - if all goes well with that then we will make the rest. The reason we make only one at first is that they are very expensive and we want to make sure there are no problems before we make them for all the sizes. However getting materials delivered now is very difficult and even getting to work if you do not live in the same town as your workplace is very difficult. So they have told us it will be 8-10 weeks (!!) just to get the first molds completed. Then we have to make the rest. I am working on ways to get that sped up. I'm told maybe it's possible, but I am also getting very little information about how that might be possible.

I am very frustrated with all the delays, as you can imagine. My power to do something about it is limited. I'm trying to find some creative solutions...

- Ed

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how creative are you wanting to get :D

Maybe the ST brain trust can help

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry things keep going awry, but good on you for sticking with it and trying to overcome this mess. Will keep an eye on this project, good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update Ed.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK - in the tradition of over-sharing like I tend to do, here is an update on the state of getting the shoes to market:

Long story short - looks like we may have shoes to sell by the end of April.

Covid hit us hard and set us back roughly a year. Total shut down in the first part of the year. Then a couple months where we could do some work, which was mainly a re-design of the plastic parts for better manufacturability. Then the factory owner got Covid. Then Italy all but shut down again, which is where we are currently at. But luckily, business can squeak on slowly. Which means we are making progress, but things that should normally take 3-4 weeks are taking 8-10 weeks. We have already done all of the size-grading and made all of the lasts. This is a bit tricky because we have to do it in such a way that we can make as few molds as possible, but still have the shoe fit really well in all sizes. Here are our whole-size lasts!

What do we still have to do? Here's the schedule (sorry, don't know why it's so small. I will explain below.

That first really long line is making the first set of plastic molds for a single size (44), which is the large part that goes around the heel & under the sole, the lever on the heel with a removeable cap for assembly, & the replaceable heel pad. Then you see the making the mold for the size 44 carbon sole, and procurement of all the hardware. The upper will be cut by hand. Then we will make 1 single pair of size 44 shoes using these molds to make sure everything works right. During this time we will also finalize the design of the insoles (for all sizes) so we can make the tooling for those - this is a very simple and fast process.

OK... so hopefully that all goes well and we will then spend the money to make all those molds for all the other sizes, which is the next really long bar on the schedule. That "size development" bar is primarily for the upper. We have already done the size development for the lasts, plastic parts and sole. Then, finally there is the size test, which is where they laser cut and hand cut uppers for all the sizes and make one pair in every size, to make sure the upper design is good before they make the cutting tooling for that (which can be done in only about a week). Then we are ready for production.

Finally - I have another question for you guys. We are 5 months away from having shoes to sell - but I have a bunch of socks and hats sitting around. Would you guys be interested in buying these items as sort of pre-release anticipation/promotional items? Or should I wait for the shoes to be out?

The perspective in this photo makes the hat look a little funny - it's a BOCO technical trucker with a patch in the middle that has the logo on it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be up for a hat.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will buy socks, for sure. And I will 100% be buying the shoes. Cannot wait. If they're done by April, that may mean I could be racing Gulf Coast 70.3 in them (if it happens).

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Dec 2, 20 10:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update, Ed! Fingers crossed that they'll be ready in time for 70.3 Choo on May 23

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else have an opinion on if they would want to purchase a hat or pair of socks now, or I should wait until the shoes are out?

Thanks!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for socks and hat (and shoes when they are available).
Quote Reply

Prev Next