Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a standard 3-hole cleat mount position.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw the published results. In my personal expectation, the good news is you got a fast shoe there against the most popular shoes =D, and the bad news, we were not able to see it against the Bont Zero+ and Giro Empire was which I suppose are the currently fastest =S
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Na the Bont are hit and miss, search forum as they’ve been tested a lot. The Ballista is a surprise... glad I didn’t purchase them.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the note I have in my results in the new thread. The S-Works is a bit smaller than the Ballista even they are both size 44. I don't want to be too unfair to the ballista. It's reasonable that one might choose different sizes in those two shoes.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I guess so as the Bonts are quite bulky. But on the other hand, the Giro Empire is quite thin and small so this is an intriguing debate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I have the Giro-very nice and very comfortable, and from what we seem to know, very aero. But, that shoe takes a fair amount of work to be functional for a triathlon shoe. And, many turn that shoe inside out to make it into a triathlon shoe, which is not it’s intended purpose. Even still—and, as changed—I wouldn’t use it for shorter distance tris (harder to get into quickly and not quite as secure when changed). On the other hand, This shoe appears not only to be very aero, but a very well thought solution to the issue of getting into and out of shoes in transition and looks very secure once buckled. And it looks to have some very nice color options. Plus, we get to support a ST DIYER. Win, win, win in my book.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree with your 3 wins. It would have been just great to see all the contenders in the wind tunnel race but it’s not always possible I guess.
Now, about the fitting, I don’t know it’s been asked already but maybe Ed can let us know if the fitting of these shoes are going to be closer to the shimanos which are little narrower on the toe box or little wider like the sworks shoes. In my case I wear the sworks 7 size 42. Should I go for same size? Or go up or down?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These shoes are not narrow. Especially with the shape of the toe, the shimano are much pointier.

I could have made the shoe more aero by making it as narrow as a Giro Empire, but many people cannot comfortably wear that shoe. The goal is the best combo of comfort and aero.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks Ed, what's your recommendation size wise compared to other brands or are you working in a sizing chart?
Any date for preorders?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my fault that Ed could not get the Bont's tested. When I was trying to get the shoes to him, we were right in the middle of a major winter storm. I had kids schools closing, and trips up north being cancelled. It was just not possible to meet up and get them to him. We tried.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like you tested the knit version of the Ballista, is it possible that the original, synthetic upper version of the Ballista would test faster? knit seems slow in my head.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [twirpburrows] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually meant to test both versions of the Ballista but the toe of the other one got split open by my chain ring during travel - the shoes were inside my bike bag.

I have no idea which one would be faster.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [twirpburrows] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twirpburrows wrote:
It looks like you tested the knit version of the Ballista, is it possible that the original, synthetic upper version of the Ballista would test faster? knit seems slow in my head.

My guess is that the huge "lip" on the tongue was the problem for the ballista more than the knit.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
These shoes are not narrow. Especially with the shape of the toe, the shimano are much pointier.

I could have made the shoe more aero by making it as narrow as a Giro Empire, but many people cannot comfortably wear that shoe. The goal is the best combo of comfort and aero.

Good to hear this! I love the fit of my Shimanos.
I’ve tried Giros and my shoes ached badly after 15 minutes.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:
[..]and the bad news, we were not able to see it against the Bont Zero+ and Giro Empire was which I suppose are the currently fastest =S [..]

The Bont Chrono Mk2 now uses a single BOA like the Zero. That shoe would probably make for a more like-for-like comparison. I would also be curious to see how the VeloVetta compares to the Chrono, Zero, and Empires, since those are perceived to be some of the fastest. The Chrono has a pointier toe, but a less defined teardrop at the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

I think you definitely made the right choice by going for both comfort and aero. Having comfort will probably give more speed than something that just goes all out for aero.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ed, bringing this back up again. Any eta on bringing this brilliant product to the mass market yet? Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to say I'm looking forward to these shoes coming out. More so this discussion is great I love how people are asking smart questions and not demanding more testing etc.
Extra testing will happen once they're out there and hopefully a 2nd gen shoe will be even better
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
I just want to say I'm looking forward to these shoes coming out. More so this discussion is great I love how people are asking smart questions and not demanding more testing etc.
Extra testing will happen once they're out there and hopefully a 2nd gen shoe will be even better

Slowtwitch is definitely the place to find some of the most informed conversation on aero topics.

Jared - Hoping for release in ~3 months or so.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll chime in with how awesome the 3D printed prototype shoes look in person! I met Ed at a conference last week and he wore them to an organized group ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I'll keep pestering you to do a pre-release or pre-order or anything else I can do to get my hands on them, so thanks and apologies in advance haha.
But worth echoing what others have said - these look marvelous!
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spotted in the Wild last Saturday:

https://www.brentmurphyphoto.com/2020-Road-Racing/2020-03-07-Frostbite-Time-Trial/9-11/i-63J7zPG/A
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Ed put up a nice insta post saying that the shoes were in use at the TT, but haven't seen the official pics. They look slick!

Now hurry up and release them to everyone who isn't a part of Velovetta/close to the designer haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can’t wait for these. Don’t worry about the delays Ed-we knew when you said April, it would be June at the earliest! ;) Only so much you can do when things beyond your control happen.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
Spotted in the Wild last Saturday:

https://www.brentmurphyphoto.com/2020-Road-Racing/2020-03-07-Frostbite-Time-Trial/9-11/i-63J7zPG/A

Hah! Yeah that's me (and the shoes). I beat my teammate by 21 seconds. Told him it was entirely because of the shoes. It was fun to race my first TT ever!

I like this photo better

https://www.brentmurphyphoto.com/2020-Road-Racing/2020-03-07-Frostbite-Time-Trial/9-11/i-MR7r5jL/A

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Mar 11, 20 6:18
Quote Reply

Prev Next