Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vegan Protein Supplements
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have recommendations for a quality vegan protein supplement that: a) is palatable, and, b) works as advertised?
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Protein Supplements [Catacomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eat meat. Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Protein Supplements [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know there are several plant based protein sources such as pea protein powder. Don't listen to Owen, he sounds like a meat gazing hand jockey.

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using the vegan proteins from R2C (old PhD nutrition). I like them both. There is a diet one and a regular one.

http://phdnutrition.ca/en-us/products

Great company and knowledgeable owners. Greg or Glenda.

Of course, I've also used Vega and Hemp protein.

Cheers.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion... I haven't run across this brand in my Google searches. Do they happen to sell trial sizes? I'd hate to drop $50+ on something that tastes like @ss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We buy vegan protein powder from PCC markets (Seattle). It's hemp, mushroom, pea, and one other source I can't remember. It tastes really good.

There is always of course soy protein powder. Available just about anywhere. We use that too.

Read the label. Some of the powders on the market have an absurd amount of sugar added.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No sorry - they don't ... Vega does. I wish they did too..but I am lucky that I enjoy the taste of their protein...however, I blend it up in smoothies ... so really any protein powder is probably ok.

I use a lot of their products - super informative folks - I would fire them off an email and see what they might be able to do for you.

Cheers!

JR

Quote | Reply
I just use beans nuts regular food works fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using this for years. I started eating meat a few years ago, but I continued to use this protein. It tastes great and it digests easily.

https://truenutrition.com/p-1169-vegan-protein-optimizer-formula-1lb.aspx

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy26: Nov 27, 16 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vega is pretty good. I use vanilla and it doesn't tast like much once you have it in a smoothie. I've also being making my own mix more and more. Usually a combination of a number of proteins: hemp, pea, brown rice and then complemented with ground flaxseeds and chia seeds. And I'll put steal cut oats too after a particularity big working. Much cheaper and works just as well for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Protein Supplements [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 scoop Vega Vanilla + 2 teaspoons instant coffee + water = breakfast

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Vega, but it is a bit pricey. Lately I've been getting my protein supplements from truenutrion.com. You can buy them in bulk and do a custom mix of protein types and flavors. I've done an 70/30 pea/rice in the past and more recently done 60/20/20 of pea/rice/hemp. I like the chocolate brownie flavor the best though the vanilla is decent as well. The protein itself is inexpensive (less than $10 a pound) but shipping does bump up the price so it's best to buy in larger amounts once you figure out what you like

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A recent article on minimalist Baker did reviews of bergen protein powder... My girlfriend sticks with vega... But here are some other names

http://minimalistbaker.com/...otein-powder-review/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My SO started using Vega Vanilla. We get it at Costco though I don't know the exact size of the container and price. I know that when we checked the prices a while back it was cheaper than online.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Protein Supplements [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Vega protein but not Vanilla - hate that flavor. The original or unflavored is different and tasty. The Orgain Organic protein that you can also buy at Costco is very good too. I use both for snacks while at work to fill me up till lunch time or dinner...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This topic is something I'm interested in. The main problem I have with these supplements is that daily use causes poisonous gas for me. I do my best to stick to whole food and only use the shakes as a supplement, as you say, periodically if I think I'm falling short on protein intake. The problem with any taste test review is that it cannot factor in the digestion tract problems that many people might have with them.

A lot of these things rely heavily on sweeteners that can irritate the system leading to gas. The thing that I really like about Vega is that their most abrasive sweetener is stevia and it is only part of a sweetener blend which is < 2% of the entire serving. The other positive for Vega is that it mixes well with water. No, it will not stay mixed. They separate if you plan to mix it and store for later. The price tag on it is higher than I'd like. As far as taste goes the Naturade Vegan Smart is really good. But that wrecks my system and causes severe gas for me.

Right now I have a rice protein made by Growing Naturals. I can handle a half serving every other day. They also use stevia but they do not specify the amount on the label which leads me to believe it is more than what Vega products say they use.

Hope this helps. I haven't really mastered this. If I was less active then I don't think meeting any arbitrary daily protein requirement on a vegan diet would be difficult at all. If you are concerned about this I've found that putting hemp seed in things like salads, nut butter sandwiches, and oatmeal is a really easy way to get that number up. Also, I think hemp seed tastes pretty good so a handful of it works for me too.

I'm not a nutrition expert but some literature floating around out there suggests that your body has limits to how much protein it can effectively absorb in a sitting. In other words past a point you're wasting your time for that meal. Spreading it out is a better option. I'm not saying that is the gospel truth, but it is something I've seen people write. It can't hurt to follow that advice I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Protein Supplements [DarkStar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vega is the most over priced stuff out there, then again im talking to people who purchase ironman races.

truenutrition.com has mixes you can make of various protein types. i love pea protein cause it thickens up to make puddings or whatever.

best protein bar is no cow bar. you can find it at gnc if they still have it
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Protein Supplements [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried it, but Onnit.com sells "Hemp Force Protein" in a couple of flavors. Could be worth a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Catacomb wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations for a quality vegan protein supplement that: a) is palatable, and, b) works as advertised?

I use About Time Vegan protein in my smoothies...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orgain Chocolate Fudge. You can buy it at Costco. Love that stuff. I use it in my smoothies practically everyday, not as much for the protein, but more for the flavor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Vega Protein, the vanilla flavored one. I make it with almond milk, 1 banana, 1 tbsp of peanut butter, and lots of ice. Taste is great.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Protein Supplements [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guscrown wrote:
I use Vega Protein, the vanilla flavored one. I make it with almond milk, 1 banana, 1 tbsp of peanut butter, and lots of ice. Taste is great.

That sounds really good
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Protein Supplements [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camtdc wrote:
guscrown wrote:

That sounds really good

I had one this morning. Took me a while to figure out a way to use it, as other combinations I was making tasted awful. This particular one is delicious.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Protein Supplements [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guscrown wrote:

Smoothies are out for me, as I'm up too early and even the quietest machine makes too much noise

Remember, I have been told in no uncertain terms: "I don't care what the fuck you do when you get up at 5 fucking whatever. Run, ride, knit, I don't give a shit. Just DON'T wake me the fuck up ... for ANY fucking reason!!!

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Protein Supplements [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Remember, I have been told in no uncertain terms: "I don't care what the fuck you do when you get up at 5 fucking whatever. Run, ride, knit, I don't give a shit. Just DON'T wake me the fuck up ... for ANY fucking reason!!!

YMMV

Dang!!! I don't think I would tolerate ANY protein shake if it's not in some kind of smoothie. If that were my situation I would probably be doing chocolate milk, but alas, it's not vegan.
Quote Reply

Prev Next