Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vasectomy with general anesthesia?
Quote | Reply
My consultation today with the urologist about my vasectomy did not go as planned. They are insisting that I have it done with general anesthesia rather than local. I'm not crazy about the idea of being put completely under for such a simple procedure I called several other urologists and no one can get me in to see me for quite a long time. Does anyone have any input on whether I should get a second opinion. I really don't want to put this off anymore because of where that would put me in proximity to races and training.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy with general anesthesia? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no doctor, but I cannot imagine why you would need general anesthesia for that procedure. As a rule, I would say avoid general for any relatively minor procedure (which this is). You might also look into if your insurance would even cover general for a procedure like this - I don't think it is standard practice.

~Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did general for mine over my doc's objection simply because I'm a world class baby when it comes to medical (and dental) stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was a triathlon forum, not a medical advice line......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did the doctor want general anesthesia? I had a local for mine with no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband had his under local - and said it was really weird to be chatting with the surgeon while he was doing what he needed to do. No idea why you'd take the risk of general anaesthesia if you didn't need to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two valium before the procedure and I only remember the first couple of minutes. Much cheaper and safer than a general. Maybe expand your search to a larger radius? I took 2 weeks off from training after mine and had no ill effects when I can back to running and was riding the bike a week after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in the medical field but not a surgeon. General anesthesia for a simple office procedure is ridiculous. The expense and the risk make it a non-starter.
This is a very simple and almost painless procedure. I skipped the Valium before hand and just took an inbuprofen. Was back up and running in a matter of 2-3 days. That was before they advised it was time to start but they always give overly conservative advice. I tell you this so you can consider finding a new doc and just having it done mid-season.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy with general anesthesia? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree I do not want to do general anesthesia for such a simple procedure I went to what is considered in one of the better doctors for this in my area and my consultation was with the nurse practitioner when I called them back after I left the office and ask for her to call me so I could ask a few more questions I got her assistant the assistant then got quite short with me and told me that they are not willing to do the procedure unless I do it under general anesthesia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
My consultation today with the urologist about my vasectomy did not go as planned. They are insisting that I have it done with general anesthesia rather than local. I'm not crazy about the idea of being put completely under for such a simple procedure I called several other urologists and no one can get me in to see me for quite a long time. Does anyone have any input on whether I should get a second opinion. I really don't want to put this off anymore because of where that would put me in proximity to races and training.

Same as the others here. I had a local anesthetic and also a valium to calm down the queasy factor. Visualizing the procedure made me feel like fainting.

I went back to light exercise in a few days and even played a quick Basketball game at the YMCA 7 days later.

First few bike rides months later caused quite a reaction (numbness, sore) very short lived and everything back to normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy with general anesthesia? [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was blown away when I question and it it in the office and they told me that it's not that unusual and they recommend 2 to 3 people every week but they see have it done via general
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've actually never heard of this. Anyone I know who's had it done, including myself, was under local. Unless there is some good reason why your situation is different I'd go to another doctor. Just make sure they freeze you enough. They went a bit light on the freezing for me and after I almost hit the ceiling after snip one they gave me a bit more....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s impossible for me to say if that is sound medical advice without knowing all your specifics. But our heath system is a procedure driven profit model. The more complex the procedure... the more the provider makes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it done with local and zero issues. Interesting experience but no need for general. I know several people who have had it with local and only one who had it with general at his doctors order. The one with general had complications, I would get a second opinion.

Quote | Reply
I had my vasectomy while having a more serious surgery on my junk so I was put under.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just forgo the anathesia, altogether. How bad could it be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're sure they mean general anesthesia and not sedation, like when you have a colonoscopy? You've repeated GA a few times so I doubt it. But while GA seems like too much, those I know that have has vasectomies with a local have used phrases like "getting punched in the nuts by Mike Tyson" and "feeling like they're pulling your intestine out through your scrotum." YMMV!
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy with general anesthesia? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anaesthetist here (well, anesthesiologist for all the NA crew).
This is not a procedure commonly done under general anaesthesia.
There are however reasons why it may be preferred to be done under general anaesthesia including:
1. Patient related issues (medical or surgical (and occasionally personality!) that mean the surgeon thinks it is better for you to be asleep (this would be pretty uncommon for this operation).
2. Surgeons preference which may be because of:
a. Arrangements with the operating theatre list/hospital they will perform the procedure in
b. Training and usual practice for this surgeon
Without knowing a little more it would not appear on the face of it that these apply to you (it is often far more relaxing for the surgical team when the patient is asleep for a variety of reasons). In saying that, general anaesthesia in the right hands is exceptionally safe (I say the right hands, depends on where your anaesthetist trained and where you live etc). If it was me, I would have this done asleep as I don't want anyone sticking needles in down there whilst I am awake, but I am a bit soft on that front (no puns intended)!
You are the boss here, you are the patient and it is your right to question and if you are not happy go elsewhere. You don't need a second opinion, this is not a diagnostic issue, you just find a different surgeon who does it under local if that is your preference.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy with general anesthesia? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
You're sure they mean general anesthesia and not sedation, like when you have a colonoscopy? You've repeated GA a few times so I doubt it. But while GA seems like too much, those I know that have has vasectomies with a local have used phrases like "getting punched in the nuts by Mike Tyson" and "feeling like they're pulling your intestine out through your scrotum." YMMV!

Because we ride bikes that part of our body is used to taking a beating. You should be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shot in the dark: Your doctor is a partner in the surgery center or hospital that he will do the procedure. That is why he does all his procedures this way. Several hundred extra dollars x 4 or 5 procedures a week x 48 weeks a year equals several hundred thousand dollars of revenue. Tell him he is the reason we will all end up with Obama care and kick him in the nuts as you walk out. Or better yet schedule the procedure and don’t show up.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy with general anesthesia? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Shot in the dark: Your doctor is a partner in the surgery center or hospital that he will do the procedure. That is why he does all his procedures this way. Several hundred extra dollars x 4 or 5 procedures a week x 48 weeks a year equals several hundred thousand dollars of revenue. Tell him he is the reason we will all end up with Obama care and kick him in the nuts as you walk out. Or better yet schedule the procedure and don’t show up.

That was my first thought. Cash grab by doc.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy with general anesthesia? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In August I had to have my metacarpal #3 completely reassembled surgically. (Bike Crash)

They were very pushy for me to go to the special hand therapist on the same block every time I came in. I figured they just have an agreement to send everybody there.

I just though to myself, in 6 weeks I'll be swimming and lifting weights again, I'll be doing my own therapy.

February 2019 my hand doesn't have far to go. I can make a tight fist just not super curled fingers like my left hand.

That would have been 4 more appointments and co-pays and a fancy plastic brace I throw in the trash after 4 weeks. No thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy with general anesthesia? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what to think. Called some other doctors but they can't get me in for a consultation for a month and surgery would be 2 to 3 wks after that..... Don't want general anesthesia but time line could force the issue.

Side note.... I hate that Doctor can't call you back. Hell the Nurse practitioner wouldn't even call me back. I got the practitioners assistant who couldn't answer questions. She just kept repeating things like they were rehearsed answers. geeee wonder why I lost my temper 🤔
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Key for me is you now don't seem to have a good trusting relationship with the proposed surgeon. And so regardless, then perhaps you need to go elsewhere later in the year and stick with alternate measures until then.

Whatever is right, and he may well be brilliant and there may be really good reasons for GA (or even sedation), he's not taken the time to explain this to you to reassure, and so I suspect that post surgery when you have some pain (and you will) then what do you do? Call, assume it's normal, discuss with his nurse / receptionist and be unsure?

Go elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A guy I worked with had to have it under general becuase his cords were short I think?
Quote Reply

Prev Next