Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vasa SwimERG Calories?
Quote | Reply
Hey Vasa Trainer users,

Today, I did a 1400m Swim on the ERG today.

My typical 1400m lands me around 300-400cal.

But on the ERG, it came out as only 60cal?

Maybe I set something up incorrectly?

Please let me know what your experience is vs. Pool swimming for calories. Are they supposed to be similar?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa SwimERG Calories? [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:
Hey Vasa Trainer users,

Please let me know what your experience is vs. Pool swimming for calories. Are they supposed to be similar?

How do you know what calories you burn in the pool? Some formula you found online that's full of guesses and assumptions?

How do you know how many yards you "swam" on the Vasa? You may have moved the circumference of the flywheel a total of 1400 yards, but you get 100% traction" on a VASA. Do you get anywhere near 100% "traction" in the water?

Now the VASA has an actual power meter. Assuming it's been properly calibrated, that should yield a reasonably accurate calorie expenditure figure. But does VASA swimming even take as much effort as "real" swimming? I don't know, as I haven't used one, but I assume you're lower body isn't engaged like it would be if you were actually swimming.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Dec 16, 19 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried measuring it using a regular Garmin wrist HR watch. 30 mins or about 1600m worked out to be about 400 kcals. Which seems reasonable to me.
Although the wrist watch probably reads a bit off since the wrist twists a lot in the process of pulling/recovering.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:
Hey Vasa Trainer users,

Thanks

I too have wondered this but not enough to bother VASA officially. My guess is it's definitely less than I want it to be. Although I can work up a good sweat in long workouts.

Following this thread to see if anyone has any useful insights.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa SwimERG Calories? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm how did you set up your Garmin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just set it up as a gym work out. Not connected it to the ANT+ VASA.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:
Hey Vasa Trainer users,
Today, I did a 1400m Swim on the ERG today. My typical 1400m lands me around 300-400cal. But on the ERG, it came out as only 60cal? Maybe I set something up incorrectly? Please let me know what your experience is vs. Pool swimming for calories. Are they supposed to be similar? Thanks

i suspect that the Vasa computer is doing a strict engineering calc of watts to calories and not considering the efficiency of the human body, which is around 25%. Thus your cals burned are prob around 4*60 cal = 240 cal, which is much more reasonable. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was your avg power for this?

Seems comparable to what I’d see. Here’s an example of a 1.49mile swim workout recorded by Garmin 920xt with Scosche HR strap (ignore ftp setting and metrics that are derived from that, I don’t really use connect). I don’t think HR affects calories here, just the kJs
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa SwimERG Calories? [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your results look good.

Hmm, my Avg power is around 40W. Maybe that's why?
Quote Reply