Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vasa / Dryland Swim Coach requested
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a swim coach who has significant experience coaching athletes on a Vasa and other dryland techniques. I have a pregnant wife, and would like to minimize my pool swims as much as possible. I also would like to see if I can use the Vasa to improve form and strength. The dream would be to re-enter the water in spring/summer an even faster swimmer, or minimally no slower.

I'd really like to geek out here, with video analysis, 2-4 dryland workouts per week. I'm currently a 1:25/100 swimmer and would like to comfortably finish <60 min in an Ironman this summer.

I have a great triathlon coach that I'm very happy with, but my coach doesn't have much experience with Vasa. And I want the Vasa to be a training weapon, not a compromise.

If you have recommendations or would like to work with me, please post or PM me.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa / Dryland Swim Coach requested [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following.

Also wondered if anyone had thoughts about how you could execute an RPT workout on a VASA?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a couple of months of vasa only earlier in the year. I think it can preserve and even build strength, but in a limited way.
My first comment is that you should develop an aggressive core and leg development dryland routine, because both of those were really lacking for me when I came back.
If you can swim at the pool *some*, I think that’s really worthwhile.
Whatever you do with the VASA, it won’t be USRPT, which has as its baseline philosophy the active working on technique constantly.
Hard intervals will be your friend, though.
This program is buried in their website:
https://vasatrainer.com/...-program-3.18.20.pdf
I found it to be really pretty good, though I added intervals to get more time on the bench. Also I googled endurance concept2 workouts for other workout ideas, since the above is only 3x per week and pretty high output.
I found my sprint fitness really wasn’t too bad, but my endurance kind of sucked when I came back. If I use it this winter, I will hopefully use it as a supplement to pool time and with an emphasis on getting more pulls in.
That’s not coaching, but might get you started. I’m interested in others’ approaches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend Jack Fabian of Tower 26. He creates Vasa-based sessions that utilize TrainerRoad and has been doing great work with people during lock down phases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa / Dryland Swim Coach requested [MeggieB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MeggieB wrote:
I would recommend Jack Fabian of Tower 26. He creates Vasa-based sessions that utilize TrainerRoad and has been doing great work with people during lock down phases.

Do you know, is Jack Fabian based in NH? How could one reach him? There's no link to e-mail him on the Tower26 page.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your growing family. It's good to hear that you are putting the needs of your family ahead of your triathlon goals.

I don't want to throw water on your plan, but you won't improve your swim with just dryland and VASA work and limited swim time. And to go from 1:25/100 to about 1:15/100, which is what you would need to do to go sub 1hr, won't happen. That isn't an easy lift since a lot of it at that point will start to become more technically weighted instead of fitness driven.

I could definitely help you with the drylands, but again, those are supplements to a swim program and not a substitute.

Hope this helps.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa / Dryland Swim Coach requested [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

Jack is still in NH and his contact info is jackfabian603@gmail.com. I gave him a heads up that folks might be contacting him.

Good luck to you and your wife!
Meg
Quote Reply