Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Varia users--recommendations please
Quote | Reply
Long story short--hubby, a longtime runner, has taken up cycling. He has adapted well to it, but even after a year of riding continues to feel uncomfortable with being unable to see cars overtaking him. I am giving him a Varia for his upcoming birthday/retirement. Based on your use, would you recommend the Garmin Varia display unit, or a Garmin Edge unit? If an Edge unit, which one?

Some considerations:
--Hubby has poor eyesight, even with very thick glasses. I'm thinking the Varia display unit may be easier for him to see.
--On the other hand, hubby is directionally challenged, so an Edge with turn by turn directions could be very helpful. If you use an Edge, how visible is the input from the Varia?
--Hubby is a minimalist. Which Edge unit would have the best battery life and fewest features? Not looking for performance metrics, just good mapping and Varia display.
--All riding is done on rural roads.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Oct 1, 18 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Varia users--recommendations please [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edge 520 plusi use the beeping more than the lights to warn me so why not have all the other goodies too. unless someone else chimes in and says the varia head unit is super loud. i love my varia especialy on rural roads
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Varia as well and highly recommend it. You detect cars much earlier and I especially appreciate the ability to see how many cars are behind me. I have never used the Varia display.....I use a Garmin 810 and 520. I wish they were louder, but I mostly use the visual cues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
--Hubby has poor eyesight, even with very thick glasses. I'm thinking the Varia display unit may be easier for him to see.
--On the other hand, hubby is directionally challenged, so an Edge with turn by turn directions could be very helpful. If you use an Edge, how visible is the input from the Varia?
--Hubby is a minimalist. Which Edge unit would have the best battery life and fewest features? Not looking for performance metrics, just good mapping and Varia display.
--All riding is done on rural roads.

Get the 520 or 820 with the Varia, unless he really can't see shit then he'll need the 1030. it's silly to have another display unit when you need a head unit anyways -- if he's a minimalist, he won't want all that stuff on his front end anyways.

It's a great gift. I won't ride without mine
Quote Reply
Re: Varia users--recommendations please [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all. Hubby doesn't use any head unit now. Tracks distance, speed and time on his running watch, worn on his wrist. Like I said, a minimalist.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Edge 520 isn't a complicated device, and it's not expensive. If he wants to only track distance, speed, and time on the 520, while also seeing cars approaching via radar, he can do that in a package that is the same size as the dedicated display unit, but right in front of his face, not on his wrist. If he wants to graduate into maps and turn by turn directions, that's a much different ball of wax -- but the 520 can do that stuff too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
continues to feel uncomfortable with being unable to see cars overtaking him.
--Hubby is a minimalist
Quote Reply
Re: Varia users--recommendations please [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He tried on bike and on helmet mirrors and was unable to use. I think it has something to do with limited range of vision with his glasses.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with many of the posters as I have the Varia (old one) and a Garmin 520, which works great and it pretty small so no challenge to his minimalist ideals. I think after using it, he will feel like many of us that we feel quite uncomfortable without it. It's a GREAT tool, and everyone I have recommended it to and have bought one absolutely agree. Makes riding that much more enjoyable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Varia is great. There is a lot of justified recommendations for the 520.

However, since he wants mapping, be sure to get the new 520 plus. It is just a little more expensive (MSRP) but includes mapping, where you had to shoehorn it in before. Since the 520+ is likely going to push the 520 into obsolescence, there may be hot deals on the base 520. So, unless it is a screaming deal and you are aware of the functional differences...best to stick with the 520+!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want true navigation which he can see, I think the Edge 1030 is the answer. Both 520+ and 820 are kind of useless for ad hoc navigation. They are ok when you have a planned route loaded onto it and you follow the route, but if you get lost and trying to find your way, the 1030 is a much better device.

The Varia display on Edge devices are not big, dots along the left or ride of the screen, and the beep is very audible when riding at speed. So that's something to consider. If his running watch is the newer Garmin Forerunners, the watch can also be connected to the Varia and alert with buzzing on the wrist. I found that actually to be more useful when I riding out in the boonies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update: Varia and Edge 520 Plus is a hit, so much so that I'm also getting an Edge 520 plus so that hubby does not feel compelled to yell "car back." (Plus my 310 is dying.)

Quote Reply
Re: Varia users--recommendations please [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried that mirror several years ago when I started riding. I found it bouncy and very annoying. Maybe they’ve improved the design, or maybe it’s supposed to wrapped on under some bar tape, but still, very unsatisfactory.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply