Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly
Quote | Reply
Was curious if anyone has had a chance to run in the Zoom Pegasus turbo yet and how they compare to the Vapor fly and Zoom fly? They havent officially released yet but I know Nike has sent pairs out to certain people. From what ive read these should be positioned right in between the vapor fly and zoom fly. Was hoping to get some feedback before I drop 180 dollars on these when they launch in hopes they don't sell out.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems a bit expensive for me.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I happen to have all 3. I'm no expert, but here's my perspective. vapors are fast, but take some getting used to, not bad, just different. they are very soft and light. a great race shoe. zooms are similar in terms of how the shoe feels when you t take a step. neither shoe feels normal when just walking around. zoom is much heavier and firmer than vapor, almost like a generic version. not a bad shoe, just unremarkable in compairson. Pegasus is awesome. lighter than the zoom I believe, and definitely softer. a shoe you could train and race in. feels like a typical nike when waking around but is light and squishy and fast. not on the level of the vapor though. Pegasus is my favorite of the 3. vapor is great, but strictly as a race shoe. I much prefer older cliftons to the zooms, but now I see the Pegasus being used for almost everything but race paced bricks, and racing. not scientific but hope it helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly [sooners175] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. This is what I was hoping for, I think I will be picking a pair up.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great read here - https://www.theguardian.com/...shoes-vaporfly-sport

Some independent research as well as this more recent Strava data has concluded that the Vaporfly 4%'s are indeed in the range of 3% - 4% faster!

I've tried them on - and walked/jogged around in them. They feel a bit odd compared to what had passed as a racing flat feel in the past - a somewhat firm and unforgiving ride. The VP 4%'s are mushy in the heel, and very stiff in the forefoot. It feels like you are running on marsh mellows. The stiff forefoot - I'm guessing would also take some getting used to.

They are also incredibly light, and Alex Hutchinson and other key reviewers, also noted the possible aerodynamic gains that the shoe might also yeild - considering the very thin upper, tight fit that is recommended and the shaping of the trailing edge of the mid-sole!

Downsides: Guessing that the shoes don't last very long ( I have a client who's been using them) - the uppers are not very durable, and the mushy midsole - while obviously a key part in the performance characteristics of the shoe, seems to break down easily - these are a race only kind of shoe and probably good for only a couple of full marathons! Also - no stability features - you'll need to have good to great running form to use them.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never owned Nike shoes, any idea what the sizing is like compared to say Newton or Hoka? I'll go try some Nike shoes on today but I understand there's a million of them so not sure if that will be much help when picking the right size for Pegasus.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just try the Pegasus 35 on...

friskyDingo wrote:
I've never owned Nike shoes, any idea what the sizing is like compared to say Newton or Hoka? I'll go try some Nike shoes on today but I understand there's a million of them so not sure if that will be much help when picking the right size for Pegasus.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Aug 1, 18 14:37
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:

My vapors are 10’s. Zooms are 10.5, therefore I bought both in the pegausus and ended up going with the 10. Pretty much true to size I would say, as I wear 10 in hokas. If you’re gonna get one, get the pegasus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sooners175 wrote:
I happen to have all 3. I'm no expert, but here's my perspective. vapors are fast, but take some getting used to, not bad, just different. they are very soft and light. a great race shoe. zooms are similar in terms of how the shoe feels when you t take a step. neither shoe feels normal when just walking around. zoom is much heavier and firmer than vapor, almost like a generic version. not a bad shoe, just unremarkable in compairson. Pegasus is awesome. lighter than the zoom I believe, and definitely softer. a shoe you could train and race in. feels like a typical nike when waking around but is light and squishy and fast. not on the level of the vapor though. Pegasus is my favorite of the 3. vapor is great, but strictly as a race shoe. I much prefer older cliftons to the zooms, but now I see the Pegasus being used for almost everything but race paced bricks, and racing. not scientific but hope it helps.

I’m confused

You said Pegasus a shoe you could train and race in

then at the end you say being used for everything but racing
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure but seems like it’s becaise he races in the 4%. But I don’t want to put words in his mouth, that’s just how it read to me.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
sooners175 wrote:

I’m confused

You said Pegasus a shoe you could train and race in

then at the end you say being used for everything but racing

Read carefully, there’s a “but” in there. I race in the vapors. You must be training while slowtwitching ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily so on sandy/gravel courses. There is a LOT of slippage as there is no grip at all. Raced that kind of course a few weeks ago & felt they really did NOT help me & wished I had used my Speed Rival 6's, as they have much better traction than the 4% shoes. However, since I have nothing to compare to data wise like with a Stryd file & am going by my own feel, I don't think they helped one bit. Then again, that's just my 2 cents. For SURE on a paved road they help. But gravel/dirt road--too smooth. I'll give it another try this weekend & I'll have my comparison data.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peg Turbos are available now on nike.com if anyone's looking to snag a pair.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point:) I asked as I wasn't sure if they'll have these or not. The store I went to had these and I did try them, thanks:)

The weirdest thing with these. I'm 9.5 in most brands, sometimes I buy Women's 11 because it's cheaper and it tends to actually fit better somehow. Yesterday I tried Peg 35 in 9.5 and it felt fine - enough room length-wise - but a bit tight on the sides and front of the foot, which is my main area of concern as I recently got extensor tendonitis from overly tight shoes. So then I tried 10 just for kicks, and it felt less tight around the foot, and somehow still not too huge lengthwise. Ran around the store a bit and ended up ordering 10 this morning. Not sure how it's possible for both shoes with .5 size difference (40mm per their length chart) to fit fine, but I guess I'll find out once I get them and go on an actual run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried the 4% but own the Zoomfly and just tried the Pegasus Turbo and new Pegasus 35.
As background, I've been running in the Pegasus for many years as the go-to shoe though I've always thought they were good, not great, shoes. And my favorite shoes of all time are the Lunaracer 3's (no longer made).

Honestly, I think these 4% derivatives are all crap. Maybe I am not a fast enough runner but:
- The Zoomfly. Admittedly feels amazing running on a slight downhill. The carbon sole propels you forward. Uphill and off-road, though, they feel awkward and slow
- I tried the Turbo and they were comfortable. But had the same weird feel of the Zoomfly. Running slow, it felt like the sole material absorbed too much energy; there was no bounce back. Maybe I run too slow to appreciate (~41 min 10k).
- The Pegasus 35 fit GREAT, esp the heel. However the new sole material also feels too dull with not enough rebound.

In the end I bought an old pair of Lundarglides which simply felt fantastic. Haven't run in them yet but hope they work out. Sadly, these are discontinued as well.

I really don't understand how Nike has to muck with previous success.
Last edited by: twain: Aug 3, 18 0:13
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
I haven't tried the 4% but own the Zoomfly and just tried the Pegasus Turbo and new Pegasus 35.
As background, I've been running in the Pegasus for many years as the go-to shoe though I've always thought they were good, not great, shoes. And my favorite shoes of all time are the Lunaracer 3's (no longer made).

Honestly, I think these 4% derivatives are all crap. Maybe I am not a fast enough runner but:
- The Zoomfly. Admittedly feels amazing running on a slight downhill. The carbon sole propels you forward. Uphill and off-road, though, they feel awkward and slow
- I tried the Turbo and they were comfortable. But had the same weird feel of the Zoomfly. Running slow, it felt like the sole material absorbed too much energy; there was no bounce back. Maybe I run too slow to appreciate (~41 min 10k).
- The Pegasus 35 fit GREAT, esp the heel. However the new sole material also feels too dull with not enough rebound.

In the end I bought an old pair of Lundarglides which simply felt fantastic. Haven't run in them yet but hope they work out. Sadly, these are discontinued as well.

I really don't understand how Nike has to much with previous success.

I just bought the zoom fly but have not run in them yet. I was thinking I may get the 4% if I like these

How many steps do you take per minute?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
twain wrote:

I really don't understand how Nike has to much with previous success.

I just bought the zoom fly but have not run in them yet. I was thinking I may get the 4% if I like these

How many steps do you take per minute?

Hopefully the Zoom Flys work for you.
Cadence is around 166.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some personal experience on the zoom fly and 4%. They are NOTHING like each other. When I got the zoom fly’s I thought they were great, still really like them. Felt springy and fast. Good upper and fit my foot very well.

After I got the 4% nothing feels the same. That’s not an exaggeration I swear. They feel like no other shoe I’ve worn. They have so much bounce to them it’s great. It took a bit to get used to the height of the shoe but they are my race shoe until I cannot find anymore. They do fit differently though. They seem to fit wider than the zoom fly’s which have created some issue with elastic laces since I have to tie them tighter.

I want to try both the Pegasus shoes but I don’t think I’d spend the money for training shoes.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So why is the 4% pretty much no longer available?

Weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
So why is the 4% pretty much no longer available?

Weird.

It looks like they discontinued it

https://www.nike.com/...unning-shoe-DNTBov7o
Last edited by: RBR: Aug 3, 18 2:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because they sold out within an hour? Playing a fun game of “create more hype”? Can’t have everyone buying the shoe! Ha.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporfly 4% vs Zoom Pegasus Turbo vs Zoomfly [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had the vapor fly flypaper for $600 release date April at the London marathon. Not sure if it was last year or this one coming up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Vaporfly's and Zoom Fly's. I have a pegasus 35 that is arriving today and pegasus turbo arriving next week.

Contrary to a lot of people, I actually like the zoom fly's. They are really beneficial on those days that your legs are dragging and you are just tired. Lots of cushion yet still responsive. I got the zoom fly's so I could get used to running in a high drop and a similar shoe to the vaporfly's without putting the miles on the vaporfly. Yeah they aren't exactly the same but they are the closest IMO. My only complaint with the zoom fly's is that I get blisters on my achilles on longer runs. I wear a half size bigger on the zoom fly's than the vaporfly's and the upper is completely different than the vaporfly's. I think the zoom fly sp may help my situation with the different upper but I need to get my hands on pair to see.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve read September release for the next vapor fly’s but also reading of the elites and other “exclusive” vapor fly’s coming out at various times. I think they released a handful of those shoes but only at the London marathon.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next