Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market?
Quote | Reply
Van Rysel, the in house brand of sports superstore Decathlon have just launched a new range of high performance bikes. Prices well below DTC brands like Canyon, and massively below the premium brands like Specialized, Canyon and Giant. It would be easy to dismiss them as rip off designs, cheaply made..... Except they are not. Swiss Side (JP Ballard) posted on Instagram about their partnership with Van Rysel - these are the best aerodynamicists in the cycling world, with access to the best wind tunnel (Airbus in Germany). Van Rysel are clearly meaning business.

The new TT bike the XCR looks stunning - clean, simple elegant. JP has already designed some of the world's fastest TT bikes, so got to assume that his latest design will be as fast if not faster

Van Rysel to launch seven new bikes, including high-end race models | road.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i live in switzerland and give decathlon a fair deal of business. have some van rysel clothing that i've been quite happy with, and i do really appreciate where decathlon fits on the value scale for lots of my little odds and ends.

will be really curious to see how this pans out.

what became of that bike brand that the walmart heirs started up a few years back?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks sweet! Always nice to have more competition.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decathlon sell really good products, not just cycling. The trouble is people getting over the stigma of buying one of their bikes. I remember one of my friends saying "I know they're good and well priced, but no way I can bring myself to buy a Decathlon bike"....
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
Decathlon sell really good products, not just cycling. The trouble is people getting over the stigma of buying one of their bikes. I remember one of my friends saying "I know they're good and well priced, but no way I can bring myself to buy a Decathlon bike"....

The website quality doesn't help in that regard. This was my first time using it, and it took me a minute to realize the limited geometry info is embedded in one of the image sequences. Overall it has more a feel of "alibaba.com" than "canyon.com."

But I'm all for a Canyon competitor, e.g. high quality direct-to-consumer.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 27, 23 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I know what you mean! Guess they have so many products to list the staff working the website side of things are probably up against it. They brought in the Van Rysel branding to distinguish the higher end road cycling items, as it was all under the B'Twin name before. There is a separate Van Rysel website but looks to be a bit of a work in progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
i live in switzerland and give decathlon a fair deal of business. have some van rysel clothing that i've been quite happy with, and i do really appreciate where decathlon fits on the value scale for lots of my little odds and ends.

will be really curious to see how this pans out.

what became of that bike brand that the walmart heirs started up a few years back?

You're referring to Viathon. I got one of their gravel bikes at a crazy price right before the Covid lockdown. Good quality bikes and components at pretty good prices. I thought their goal was to come back afterwards, but their website has not been updated in 3 or so years. I guess I don't have any options should I need a warranty claim!

Those new bikes look pretty sweet for the price. Are they a big enough brand to shake things up???

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Jan 27, 23 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decathlon are huge in Europe so it could be possible. The Van Rysel line has always been well reviewed in the various magazines and on the usual websites so if the bikes are of the same quality then they should do well.

I do wonder if people will trust Decathlon for a top end bike though. Usually these type of stores do well with models in the cheap to lower mid range it seems.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recent bike prices are just ridiculous. I’m all about affordable good quality bikes so this is a great news.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That tt bike looks amazing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super excited about this. Every time we go back to Europe we load up on Decathlon products. The quality of their premium lines for running and cycling apparel and equipment is on par with top brands for a fraction of the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love companies that are direct to consumer. Haven't bought any bikes, but have bought clothes from them. They're much cheaper than comparable products you'd buy elsewhere.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [adaykin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Denis Chevrot already signed and with Swiss Side, maybe Angry Bird would switch too ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn4tNUSIhMh/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnpEeFqD3vc/

Aint hitting the market till 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My main concern would be with repairs. They don't have mechanics I would trust and other bike shops hate (ie add extra costs) repairing bikes that were bought on the cheap. But that TT bike ticks all the boxes and if Sam could only get 3 watts after extensive testing then age-groupers would benefit a lot more spending their money on training than extremely small gains that hyper-expensive bikes might provide.
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither does Canyon, you could say (no mechanics i.e.) but seems their business model is working fine for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
My main concern would be with repairs. They don't have mechanics I would trust and other bike shops hate (ie add extra costs) repairing bikes that were bought on the cheap. But that TT bike ticks all the boxes and if Sam could only get 3 watts after extensive testing then age-groupers would benefit a lot more spending their money on training than extremely small gains that hyper-expensive bikes might provide.

You speak about ban rysel ? I live in France but in almost every decahtlon shop they are machenics available
Last edited by: Nodejs: Jan 28, 23 0:24
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Neither does Canyon, you could say (no mechanics i.e.) but seems their business model is working fine for them.

Very true, but I know that mechanics add extra for repairing (and assembling) them. I quite like supporting my LBS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prices are not "far below"...they are quite close to Canyon products, though a bit lower...So between a VanRysel and a Canyon, I would still chose Canyon, because of the resale value.
Besides, other brands, now that the supply chain are working "normally" again, will be forced to lower their prices down. So those fancy Van Rysel bikes are an investement I wouldn't recommend, unless one wants to regret it in the very near future.
So, in my view, Decathlon is trying to get his brand up the market ladder, but it won't work.... A Chevy will never be a Cadillac...Or a Fiat a Ferrari, despite all the engineering efforts behind it.
Decathlon should stick with the marketing strategy that made its success : Bang for the bucks, and affordable by Mr.MOP.
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [wilp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you find prices on the new TT bike? Canyon has TT bikes starting at 2999 euros, so just THAT comparison is tough.

Many companies have succesfully turned their brand & products from being Cost Leaders to become Differentiators. If Decathlon can do this with Van Rysel, only the future can tell. I agree with you, that this journey may be difficult, but not impossible.
Triathlon is booming in many "low-cost" countries, Latin America, Asia, etc. And first-world countries are facing a recesion not seen in a lifetime, which will drive a harder cost focus.

Remember, when Canyon came onto the market, their go-to-market model (pure online) was subject to much scrutiny, and I remember it took quite a while for the ST posse to embrace the brand 😊
Last edited by: Mulen: Jan 28, 23 3:33
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Where do you find prices on the new TT bike? Canyon has TT bikes starting at 2999 euros, so just THAT comparison is tough.

Many companies have succesfully turned their brand & products from being Cost Leaders to become Differentiators. If Decathlon can do this with Van Rysel, only the future can tell. I agree with you, that this journey may be difficult, but not impossible.
Triathlon is booming in many "low-cost" countries, Latin America, Asia, etc. And first-world countries are facing a recesion not seen in a lifetime, which will drive a harder cost focus.

Remember, when Canyon came onto the market, their go-to-market model (pure online) was subject to much scrutiny, and I remember it took quite a while for the ST posse to embrace the brand 😊

Their time trial model will be between €5500 and €7000 (not official prices, just prices gathered at "velofollies fair" where they were on display). So when one compares to Canyon, as far as brand repute, choice and prices...my view : If prices are confirmed, Van Rysel is out of the target. Time will tell.
Let alone, that other brands (as BH, Orbea, bmc, giant, cannondale, etc...) will adapt to a market now normalized...I wouldn't bet on Van Rysel...especially as I said, concerning resale value...
Last edited by: wilp: Jan 28, 23 6:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree! IMO, all brands however, will have adapt to a world in recession. Volume business can be achieved if prices are in range and supply abundant. Decathlon has the maybe strongest B2C distribution network in Europe. Nobody, maybe only Amazon, can compete there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agree with the time trial bike, but the 'cross bike at 2000 and the gravel bike at 1600 are very appealing. would definitely get a look from me.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Van Rysel Set to Disrupt the bike market? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
agree with the time trial bike, but the 'cross bike at 2000 and the gravel bike at 1600 are very appealing. would definitely get a look from me.
yeah, maybe, let's see what the competition will propose....Decathlon has been the best so far in the circa €1000 range. Let's see now how they will up the ante.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soooo...who will build the frames? If Decathalon does not own a frame fab facility (do they?) they will need to choose a partner/vendor.

As far as reputation / desirability ... maybe they will sponsor a pro team next year. As 'Van Rysel' and not 'Decathalon' branded, there will be folks who will view pro use as an endorsement of quality / speed / etc. and drive some sales - and they have the stores to make that happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]
concerning resale value...[/quote]
With the price of current bikes (even Canyon), that is becoming less of an issue as people won't be changing every couple of years like they used to.

I'd expect the 5500 to be something like Rival AXS or 105 Di2, with some carbon wheels. I'd take that over the current Speedmax CF with its bird nest of cables at the front. The frame on aero eyeball is more equivalent to the SLX.

Used bikes are only worth what people are prepared to pay. If the Van Rysel tested fast and was in short supply, then there wouldn't be issues with resale.
Quote Reply

Prev Next