Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Valve Length Question
Quote | Reply
I just got a wheelset from one of the Performance stores going our of business. It’s 81mm deep and my question is what size valve do I need to get. Is a 80mm valve actually 80mm, whereby I will need to get a 90mm valve, or is it made to work with a 80mm deep rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Valve Length Question [tojunialto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
90mm likely isn’t going to cut it. That only leaves you with 10 mm to clamp the pump head and that’s probably not enough considering the valve takes up most of that 10 mm.

a) Use latex tubes. Go with the 51 mm Vittoria latex tubes.
b) Get some 60mm Silva valve extenders.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the rim clincher or tubular?
Quote Reply
Re: Valve Length Question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clincher
Quote Reply
Re: Valve Length Question [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
90mm likely isn’t going to cut it. That only leaves you with 10 mm to clamp the pump head and that’s probably not enough considering the valve takes up most of that 10 mm.

What's the trick with valve extenders? Do you leave them on all the time?

I use 54mm deep wheels and Michelin latex tubes with 60mm valves (The valve core is not removable). It leaves "just" enough valve to stick a pump onto but it's frequently a fiddly pain in the arse. Is there a standard "good way" to do this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tojunialto wrote:
Clincher

Then what I said above. You need 20+ mm beyond the rim depth. So 100+ in your case.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 24, 19 5:57
Quote Reply
Re: Valve Length Question [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I use 54mm deep wheels and Michelin latex tubes with 60mm valves (The valve core is not removable). It leaves "just" enough valve to stick a pump onto but it's frequently a fiddly pain in the arse. Is there a standard "good way" to do this?

Yeah, I only use removable core tubes and install the extender. That's about it.

So In your case I would use a 40mm Silca latex tube + 40 mm extender.

Quote Reply
Re: Valve Length Question [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

You can use an extender for non-removable valve core tubes. They just screw on over the valve. The downside is that the valve is no longer accessible so you have to leave it unscrewed and use a small hex wrench or similar inserted thru the end of the extender to deflate. The other caveat is these extenders don’t have any room for a gasket ring so most use a wrap of Teflon plumbers tape to keep them sealed for inflation.
Quote Reply
Re: Valve Length Question [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Oops, the OP's rim is 80mm. Using 80mm of total valve + extender would be bad.

It is super easy. You want the the air hole (at the tip of the combined valve and extender) to stick out 30 mm past the rim. You can get by with 20 mm with most pumps but 30 is safe.

So, if you have a 80 mm deep rim and 40 mm valves, you'd want a 60 to 70 mm extender.
Quote Reply
Re: Valve Length Question [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Oops, the OP's rim is 80mm. Using 80mm of total valve + extender would be bad.

It is super easy. You want the the air hole (at the tip of the combined valve and extender) to stick out 30 mm past the rim. You can get by with 20 mm with most pumps but 30 is safe.

So, if you have a 80 mm deep rim and 40 mm valves, you'd want a 60 to 70 mm extender.

That's great and all but I wasn't replying to the OP with that comment. It was to the other guy who had 54mm rims.

Reading Comprehension 101. ;-)

Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 24, 19 10:22
Quote Reply