Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vaccination and Training
Quote | Reply
Cross posting here as in the other forum I see a lot of you guys going back to full tilt training 1-2 days after your shots. I wouldn't do that.
The vaccine does challenge the body during the immunization process, and is using some of the mechanisms at play when infected with a real virus (pro-inflammatory responses).
You all know more or less about the dangers of training with a viral infect. Yeah, that.

There are cases of myocarditis popping up in Israel now as they started vaccinating younger people.
Although right now it is unclear if there is a connection to exercise, fact is that myocarditis may be of concern in younger adults:
https://www-timesofisrael-com.cdn.ampproject.org/...in-men-under-30/amp/

Take it easy out there, young guns! It's not worth the risk.

Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 24, 21 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Vaccination and Training [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was floored in bed from 12 hrs to 60 hrs after Astrazeneca with a fever, headache and chills. I could not do anything and missed my first day of work (on a Friday) in 29 years from being sick. I started jogging easy after a few more days and kept heart rate down and otherside kept it light. One week later I did my first hard workout on the rowing machine and wattage was down around 8% compared to normal intervals. Then next day I went to track and did 16x400m with no stop watch and just perceived exertion where I was going fast for me, but would barely be able to maintain a conversation. For the last 4 I checked watch and as 6 seconds slower per 400m for the same set and similar perceived exertion to before vaccine.

I believe I have some ways to go yet before it is worth revving it up. Of my entire network of friends and relatives in the 55-64 age group from my sampling I had the worst reaction which leads me to believe I may have had mild Covid19 early March 2020 before lockdown from an industry event where I was speaking and in close interaction with tons of people. My subsequent symptoms were, as it turns out very Covid19 like, but I have no idea if I got it, or it was my immune system going nuts working on the vaccine and training my body. In any case, no place for anything strenuous.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaccination and Training [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We may not have seen this issue pop up in us older people for a variety of reasons.
I had no effects to speak of whatsoever (other than a slightly sore arm and a migraine the next day).
But after 3-4 days I had a hard swim scheduled. I didn't feel right, so I aborted it and kept it low intensity for another week.
Again, there is no reason not to be active at all. But starting to drill it a day or two after the shot just isn't a zero risk game, because of....science.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 24, 21 14:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I knew this vaccine was going to rev up an immune system response so I roughly had planned 7 light days anyway. There isn't a large cohort of older athletes who were part of the test set for the trials. We are the test set so best to respect science of what responses vaccinations cause in the body and roll with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is where measuring something like Heart Rate Variability will tell you how your body is being taxed by the vaccine (or anything outside of and including training, really).

I just got the AZ vaccine, and I'll be using HRV to adjust training this week. Normally, I use it to adjust workouts up or down based on the feedback it gives (e.g. is today a good day for intervals, zone 2, or recovery?), but this is another good use for something like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaccination and Training [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
This is where measuring something like Heart Rate Variability will tell you how your body is being taxed by the vaccine (or anything outside of and including training, really).

I just got the AZ vaccine, and I'll be using HRV to adjust training this week. Normally, I use it to adjust workouts up or down based on the feedback it gives (e.g. is today a good day for intervals, zone 2, or recovery?), but this is another good use for something like this.

In the first 60 hrs my heart rate was way up. Normally if I am just sitting around it would be 60ish and if I lie down it will go to mid 40's. It was easily 20-30 bpm higher in both scenarios. It took around 96 hrs before I saw anything in the high 40's just lying around. My body was in a full on fight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was cautious but didn't take any time off training. In fact I rode with my cycling team 4 hours after getting the shot (on a Thursday) then didn't miss a workout that weekend either.

Edit: Pfizer 2nd shot
Last edited by: jaretj: Apr 24, 21 16:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had no training impact with my Moderna shots. I just followed my body. Shot 1 was a very sore arm for 24 hours. Did not impact intense training at all shot 2 was a lightly sore arm.

It does seem to be all over the place for people though. My oldest kid and big puking and fever symptoms. Wife and other kid had nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to not train for two days after both shots (Pfizer), but was back to normal after that. Felt crappy, but nothing to bad but I still decided to pack it in to not possibly prolong the feeling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
timbasile wrote:

In the first 60 hrs my heart rate was way up. Normally if I am just sitting around it would be 60ish and if I lie down it will go to mid 40's. It was easily 20-30 bpm higher in both scenarios. It took around 96 hrs before I saw anything in the high 40's just lying around. My body was in a full on fight.

Yikes! Hopefully nothing like that happens to either my wife or myself. I've scheduled my weekly recovery day for tomorrow just in case, but I hope I'm not out for that long. I'm literally the youngest in the current ontario vaccine cohort (39.5yrs counts as 40!) so maybe that might help?
Quote Reply
Re: Vaccination and Training [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I may have just had anti bodies already ready to fight thus the strong reaction. Let's see how bad round two is .

Also note that I had not missed a day of work since 1992 so maybe my immune system just reacts when invaded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always take it easy ;)

My first moderna dose I had it in the morning. Did it workout in the evening. I would call it medium intensity.

My second dose is this week. I’ll likely do my workout for the day before I get vaccinated and next day I have an easy workout I can easily skip if I need to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is for sharing. 30/m here. Got Pfizer 2 on Tuesday. Wouldn’t have even thought of this but it makes sense.

Minimal side effects for me. Could have trained as usual, but did notice rhr has been about 5bpm higher than normal last few days have been just doing aerobic z2 stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaccination and Training [daustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a weird reaction after getting Moderna two days ago. Went out for a run the same day and was not feeling well, was running easy (6:30/km) and my heart rate got up to 193 bpm! which is almost my max. So decided to pull the plug and walk home. Had chills in the evening and was knocked out. Day after, went for a long ride and heart rate was still a bit higher than usual, but was feeling good and almost back to normal. Today I was able to do a long run and it was all back to normal (4:18/km average, 136 bpm).

I do recall having a similar reaction once from a flu shot. Everyone is different I guess. Might take next week easy/off to let the body recover.

Somewhat related, Remco (world class cyclist) refused the vaccine worried that he could get sick just before the Giro d'Italia.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaccination and Training [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. My day after is just a recovery spin. And at this point I’ll gladly trade any workout to be fully vaccinated
Quote Reply
Re: Vaccination and Training [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my first Pfizer shot yesterday. Almost no reaction, just a sore shoulder and slightly elevated temperature.
Today during an easy ride HR was about 10 bpm higher than normal. So the body is doing something.

I’ll keep it easy for another couple of days before doing any quality work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had no reaction after Moderna #1, but a miserable 24 hours after Moderna #2. I got my shot early in the afternoon and swam immediately afterwards in an attempt to prevent the typical arm soreness. By that night my body ached/ hurt, I had a fever, and just a horrible headache, something approaching a migraine. My resting pulse went from an average over the previous week of 53 to 68
for the day after I got #2.

36 hours after the shot I felt back to normal but I’ve had two days of subpar workouts. My resting pulse is back to normal and I’m not sure if the poor workouts are the lingering effect of the vaccine or just fatigue from the struggle to survive that first day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2nd shot of Pfizer kicked my ass. Had high fever, chills, bodyache, a crazy ass headache. Barely slept the first night and felt like a zombie the next day. Fever came back a few more times throughout the day and just felt tired most of the time. Did a really easy bike two days later, swam the next and a rode again with a few intervals. 3 days later, I feel good again but will stay on the easy side with my workouts until next week.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Vaccination and Training [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what the hell happened to me after my 2nd Moderna shot. The doc told me I had about 10-12 hours to get shit done before side effects hit me (if they were to hit me). She was spot on. Right at the 10-hour mark, I got an incredible headache, sore throat, and a bad runny nose. I was bedridden the next day and worthless the next two days.

Such a coincidence to come down with a horrible cold at the exact time of my 2nd shot. But I'm thinking that's all I had because my MIL is now sick with the cold. We both tested negative for COVID. Such odd timing.

Today was exactly one week. I'm still dragging ass.

Quote | Reply
I had the second worst training session of my life just two days after my first moderna vaccine.

I believe that dehydration was the primary culprit. But perhaps the vaccine also played a role.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaccination and Training [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had my first Moderna shot yesterday. Did a harder than expected trainer ride last night. No elevated HR, etc. Woke up feeling kind of hung over (no drinking involved) with very sore arm from where I got the shot. Took it easier on the trainer today. Most people I hear who are getting sick from Moderna do so after the second shot. That's when I plan on taking it easier. I'm also recuperating from elbow surgery, so I'm already dealing with that. Now, get working antigen presenting cells!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im racing a 70.3 13 days after my second Pfizer shot... am I going to die?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Vaccination and Training [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's always a chance :)
cloy wrote:
Im racing a 70.3 13 days after my second Pfizer shot... am I going to die?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1'st shot - really sore arm for 36 hours and then back to normal. Did not do anything the afternoon after the shot.

2'nd shot - ran after the shot and then a terrible night sleep. Head ache, chills, sweats, etc. (but arm not nearly as sore as shot 1). Day after - slight headache all day, ride was 80 watts lower than average but felt a lot harder.

Will see how today goes, but feeling a lot better that yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my first Moderna shot on Monday and was instructed to do no exercise like biking or hiking as well as not have any alcohol for 48 hours. I felt fine on the day of the shot and the morning after but started feeling nauseous after about 24h. Then stayed a bit nauseous and lethargic for several days and did not train at all. First intense bike ride on Saturday, showed power numbers that were good but the feeling wasn't. Though I am feeling better now in general. Second shot on May 17, pretty sure it'll kick my butt but it is helpful to be able to plan for it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next