Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video
Quote | Reply
I just watched this video and would love to hear others comments about what they have to say.

Still do not understand why you can't have a light aero bike for everything but that is just me.

http://velonews.competitor.com/...limbing-bikes_349677
Last edited by: BMANX: Oct 18, 14 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean why you can't? Because in that case I agree completely.

In general I agree with what they say (here and elsewhere), I love their videos, but I don't like them perpetuating the myth that the aerp bike is less comfortable and using the heavier wheels as a negative point is bull as wheels can obviously be changed out.

Edit: For clarity.
Last edited by: Staz: Oct 18, 14 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a poor piece of journalism from two so-called experts. Where to begin...

"But the fact is though, that your average speed if you get home from a normal ride on a Sunday is 26 km/h, actually, you're not really going to see any benefits from riding an aero bike, except for one or two exceptions on your ride."

Yes, because everyone knows that aero doesn't 'kick in' until you hit 40 km/h...

"Let's talk about comfort as well. Aero bikes have always had a bit of rep for being slightly harsher than a lightweight bike. I mean, they're also ironically enough flexier because they're narrower in their frontal profile so you don't get that kind of torsional rigidity."

The recent ST feature Thoughts on science & perception is a good read related to this topic. Josh Poertner was involved in blind bike tests with experienced cyclists. He writes:

"One of the major discoveries was that after controlling for seat post (round post shimmed into aero frame so as to not give it away) not a single rider found the aero road bike to be less comfortable, less compliant, etc, than the identically setup 'endurance' or 'roubaix' bike."

BMANX wrote:
Still do not understand why you can't have a light aero bike for everything but that is just me.

Because the industry wouldn't sell as many bikes. The industry has a vested interest in perpetuating myths that compel people to own multiple bikes.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weight is never a consideration in my cycling gear choices.
Last edited by: Nick B: Oct 18, 14 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see the point of an aero road bike. Most of the drag is made from your body so if you're in the same body position on the regular light and the aero it wouldn't be significantly different like what 10 watts at most difference on flat polly. I would own a tt bike for being aero and a light one for being light. If I had to pick one I would go tt because I love them they are heavenly like soooo comfy slippin thru that air at mach 3. Instead of buying 1 high end aero road I'd get a tt and road carbon 105 + get them the hoops they deserve eventually. I've never ridden a super high end bike tho so idk what I'm missing out on but polly not that much. I totally ignored their data cause it wasn't accurate. They had different wheels, bodies, gear etc wasn't based on frame dynamics
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you actually watch the video? They did two runs each and setup the bikes the same for position. Sure it's far from a scientific test but they got similar results for the two of them. 110m farther over 10 mins is not insignificant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost 4 minutes faster over 40km if you go by their testing. Ya not that important really and who really wants to finish their 40km ride 4 minutes faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the guys in the video, Daniel Lloyd, is about the most aero-enthusiastic pro bike racer that has ever been. He took part in the development of the S5.

So sorts puts into context the kinds of things your average pro bike racer believes.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know aero bikes are uncomfortable and heavy. Oh and their head tubes are lower as well.
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a good laugh at you calling them out in the YouTube comments and subsequent tweet to Dan. QFT:

"summary: "we viscerally hate aero bikes so even though we weren't able to prevent them from being faster in our bs test, here is a lot of totally false received wisdom we can use to trash talk them anyway"

ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stole that quote from a friend, thought it was funny.
Didn't realize Daniell Lloyd was one of the guys. Now feel like asshole.

TOO BAD HE SPOKE ILL OF AERO

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being fast doesn't excuse broscience. IMO, it makes it even less excusable.

Last edited by: Cody Beals: Oct 18, 14 15:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
Had a good laugh at you calling them out in the YouTube comments and subsequent tweet to Dan. QFT:

"summary: "we viscerally hate aero bikes so even though we weren't able to prevent them from being faster in our bs test, here is a lot of totally false received wisdom we can use to trash talk them anyway"

No don't bring attention to us!
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea they had different helmets, body weight, body shape, one had deep sections, polly had different wind conditions and slightly different power as well too. A single 10 minute trial of 2 riders from using different gear isn't enough data to draw accurate conclusions about the frames polly. If you have to do the minimum weight then I see the point of aero road but I can tell the difference of carrying extra water etc. Granted it's negligible compared to drag but the frame itself probably isn't making that much drag and a few pounds saved might be better in a lot of conditions. Idk tho I'd need more data to draw conclusions but I'm skeptical of aero road considering they're not that aero
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Oct 18, 14 16:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
Yea they had different helmets, body weight, body shape, one had deep sections, polly had different wind conditions and slightly different power as well too. A single 10 minute trial of 2 riders from using different gear isn't enough data to draw accurate conclusions about the frames polly. If you have to do the minimum weight then I see the point of aero road but I can tell the difference of carrying extra water etc. Granted it's negligible compared to drag but the frame itself probably isn't making as much drag as a few pounds saved would for performance in a lot of conditions. Idk tho I'd need more data to draw conclusions but I'm skeptical of aero road

They both rode each bike once. Even without this test there have been tons of previous tests. And a few grams of drag make much more difference than weight in every situation other than going uphill. Once you get up to speed on the flat weight essentially becomes irrelevant, it only plays a role in acceleration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you read most of those replies you will see that people just do not get aero. Maybe 5% of the people posting in the comments section under that video actually get it.

I will always go with aero and light as it kills two birds with one stone. A 13 lbs aero and light bike is just the best of both worlds and only leaves on thing to worry about and that is the rider. So now I have to do a lot more work there.

The one comment that I liked was the one guy that said an over-weight cyclist will not benefit from an aero bike.
Last edited by: BMANX: Oct 18, 14 16:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes i understand aerodynamics are very important. You are probably making a million grams of drag by pulling your body out of a tt position. I would rather have a 10lb road than a 13lb aero road. Maybe get a 10lb road and throw tt cockpit on it for a real "aero" road
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You clearly do not get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
Yes i understand aerodynamics are very important. You are probably making a million grams of drag by pulling your body out of a tt position. I would rather have a 10lb road than a 13lb aero road. Maybe get a 10lb road and throw tt cockpit on it for a real "aero" road

Oh my God what did I just read.

Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on a guest computer and I made the effort to log on and like this post.

Sorry bro, if you are interested in a 10lb road bike you have no excuse to not acknowledge the significance of an aero bike. No matter how much light they are making stock parts these days it's gonna take some cash to get down to 10lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice video but who cares about aero bikes vs. climbing bikes when you can ride the Varibike?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...html#v-2646076558001
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol I know i don't get it. Isn't the point of riding your road bike for the hills? aero road bikes make no sense to me because they're not very aero. I want a tt bike for when being aero is an advantage and a road bike for when being light is an advantage. I understand if you're a pro and have minimum weight cause you have to have the weight. A 13lb aero road would probably be a similar amount of money. Like honestly the frame doesn't make as much drag as your body does extensions and base bar would be more aero and lighter if you really are making an aero road
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Oct 18, 14 17:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
Lol I know i don't get it. Isn't the point of riding your road bike for the hills? aero road bikes make no sense to me because they're not very aero. I want a tt bike for when being aero is an advantage and a road bike for when being light is an advantage. I understand if you're a pro and have minimum weight cause you have to have the weight

Do you know what an aero bike is?

The point is to have a road bike with aerodynamic features when a TT bike isn't allowed or in situations where you want the best of both worlds. An aero bike is a more aerodynamic road bike and it can weigh as little as any other bike. Same weight + more aerodynamic = better.
Quote Reply

Prev Next