Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Utah Half Swim Cancelled!
Quote | Reply
Just got home from the race. The wind was up a bit at the start time, and Graham pulled the plug on the swim. Not nearly as bad as last year (I was in that one). He had the pros do the swim, and the age groupers just did the bike and run. Funny thing was that by the time about half of the age groupers were starting, the weather was calm as could be, and everything was fine.

There was a lot of complaining (naturally) that if the pros could do it, the age groupers should be allowed to as well. Last year the complaint was that he shouldn't have started the swim, this year it was that he pulled the plug too soon.

My prediction - the Utah venue is dead. I thought it would be anyway when it didn't fill, but this has to be the death knell. I'm glad, frankly, and I'm a local. What many people don't realize is that even the locals think that the current venue is a joke. There are many other locations here that would be terrific, but Provo and Utah County wouldn't let them make the modifications. And, the local support was poor at best, the community didn't get involved...mostly because many people had no idea that it was even happening. There was virtually no publicity. Too bad, the bike and run courses were alright. Oh well, one for the history books.
Last edited by: Lloyd: May 31, 03 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: Utah Half Swim Cancelled! [Lloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that sucks. I don't find it that suprising though. They were bound to be hyper-sensitive to the weather after the unfortunate mess last year. I too wouldn't be suprised if this race is done. I for one have no interest in ever doing it. Not because of the swim issues, but I have yet to hear great things about the course, and for big races I want to do it in a place where the locals are supportive.

Maybe this is just IMNA's way of telling us that they want to get in to hosting duathlons...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of clarifications.

(1) Community Support: The people who came out and volunteered were terrific. I'm not faulting them at all. But the community leaders, and/or IMNA just did not promote the race. I think that having a remote race director (in Lake Placid...she was the race director's secretary last year) was a mistake as well.

(2) Course choices: There is, for example, a lake ~20 miles from the current venue (it is the one in the picture on the website--sailboat, beautiful mountain in the background..the olympic cross-country skiing was there next to the lake in 2002. It's crystal clear, with lots of open roads for the bike in the surround valley--we ride there all the time. Last year the race director tried to get the swim moved there, with the bike and run still in Provo/Utah County, but the powers that be said no...they wanted it all in their community.

It's a shame, really.
Last edited by: Lloyd: May 31, 03 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lloyd,

I too was there (see my report in another post). I was extremely disappointed about not being able to do the swim, as this would have been my first half IM. But at least I didn't have to spend a penny on travel.

So what's your idea of where the swim could be held? Deer Creek Reservoir? Jordanelle? Lehi Mill Pond? (That's an inside joke; I was born and raised in Lehi and used to swim in the Mill Pond.)

The sad thing is that I swam in Utah Lake three times over the past two weeks, and some of my friends have swum in it two and three times a week at the same time in the morning as the Half IM. Smooth as glass every day.

Yep, I agree: that's the end of Utah Half IM. Hundreds of people come from 47 different states and several foreign countries to do a half IM and end up with only a duathlon. Sad.

--Scott

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply