Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using estim for recovery
Quote | Reply
Does anyone has experience using estim for recovery (no real pain point, just looking at the "massage" feature that some of those machine have)
Quote Reply
Re: Using estim for recovery [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a Compex for recovery for a while. It was interesting, and I felt like *maybe* it helped a little with recovery. Then I got some Normatec boots. The Compex now sits in the drawer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a PowerDot demo & review

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
Does anyone has experience using estim for recovery (no real pain point, just looking at the "massage" feature that some of those machine have)

TENS targets sensory nerves. Its more for pain relief utilizing the gait theory of pain. Beneficial for intense pain. Not really going to get anything other than placebo effect. IDC what the red dot says.

NMES targets motor nerves and can help activate muscles. But thats most beneficial for post op or severe atrophy. Causes isometric contractions, low level.

Riding a bike, a massage (feels good), or going for a walk is far better for recovery to get blood flowing than a passive stim unit.

You cant get abs by shocking your stomach on the couch watching the bachelor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it when I broke my leg and had it in a cast as a college track guy 40 years ago. I think it helped keep my calf muscle from atrophying too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Using estim for recovery [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you used the Powerdot, or know anyone who has? I’m interested a bit but want to hear more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ive used both compex and air relax recovery boots.

to me, compex worked better on a specific area. it was more concentrated and that one certain muscle group that was being targeted would feel wonderful after a session. that said, you can only target that one group, and you have to put the pads on, wire them all up, then move them to a different area then do it all over again.

recovery boots do a good job overall, and you can hit your whole leg in one session. i dont think they do as good a job as a focused muscle stim session, but they work and are more convenient.

if time wasnt an issue then muscle stim all the way. realistically though recovery boots are more convenient and faster with acceptable results.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Using estim for recovery [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
I used a Compex for recovery for a while. It was interesting, and I felt like *maybe* it helped a little with recovery. Then I got some Normatec boots. The Compex now sits in the drawer.

Funny, I went the opposite. Sold my normatecs and kept the compex.
I find after long bike workouts, like 3+ hours on the indoor trainer, the 'recovery' mode on the Compex really helps get that 'brick' like feeling out of my legs.
I personally noticed no benefit to the normatecs, and found they were a pain in the ass to use.
Quote Reply