Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using eTap blip box as primary shifter? Is it robust enough?
Quote | Reply
Have a 3D printer mount for bar end placement... figured I would try to use the blip box to replace ETap clicks
Last edited by: scca_ita: Nov 28, 19 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: Using eTap blip box as primary shifter? Is it robust enough? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious to see what you come up with. I plan to tinker some more with using a garmin tt mount near extension ends or attaching with bolt to (part of) sram bar end shifter like TriRig did below.

https://www.tririg.com/...TTT_SRAM_eTap_Review
Quote Reply
Re: Using eTap blip box as primary shifter? Is it robust enough? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m looking at putting in on the aero bar end

Will etap work with 10 spd or only 11?
Quote Reply
Re: Using eTap blip box as primary shifter? Is it robust enough? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll work with 10 speed, providing you wind the appropriate limit screws in to restrict your gearing.
Quote Reply
Re: Using eTap blip box as primary shifter? Is it robust enough? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to use the blip box exclusively for a few races last year. It works fine and does it's job. If there's a lot of climbing it kind of defeats the purpose of electronic shifting though.

I mounted it to the end of one of my aero bars with one of the mounts that come with Garmin head units that uses a rubber band to attach. My aerobars are twisted inward so they are basically touching. This helped support the blip box and prevented it from slipping around on my aerobar, so this may or may not work for you.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Using eTap blip box as primary shifter? Is it robust enough? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Curious to see what you come up with. I plan to tinker some more with using a garmin tt mount near extension ends or attaching with bolt to (part of) sram bar end shifter like TriRig did below.

https://www.tririg.com/...TTT_SRAM_eTap_Review

this is rough design - it will go between my 51 speedshop bars and garmin will mount at the end just after the bar bends downward.... my 520 sits just below the fat part of my thumbs/hand. The blip box will be mounted with the m3 boss from the bottom and sit a little above the bars (maybe not ideal) as my bars are about 25mm apart....happy to send STL file but these are specific to my bar setup. Will use 4 small tie raps to mount it, should be approx than 12-15g.

Last edited by: scca_ita: Nov 29, 19 13:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, shifting from blip box will occur at middle to back of extensions? That seems an awkward place to shift from. For my limited tinkering, I think you really need something closer to where you plan to put the garmin mount. Just my thoughts. Love the creativity though and looking forward to updates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Blip box is mounted on the boss with screw at the bar (ie very front of the aero bars) center so I will use my thumbs to shift... the Garmin Mount is used for my 520 and is just behind bend in the bars... cantilevered toward the back... so my hands will be where they are normally
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh ok that makes more sense although I’m having trouble picturing it from the photo

Edit-oh is this piece very short and will run parallel to ski bends after they angle upward?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 29, 19 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like this...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. I still think blip box needs to be as far out front as possible (as close to bar ends where Clics would be as possible) but that may also depend on your fit. Cool project-Will be very curious to see how it works out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree w DFW. Needs to be fingertips. Otherwise stick w clics and 3D print something where you can tuck and leave that.

Shoot keep what you have and use it as a fairing (but not, it’s an equipment holder...) to fill that whole void between the arms and below the extensions.

ETA - love the creativity! I just don’t think I understand the problem trying to solve. What is wrong w the blood or clics? I have etap on everything and don’t see why people want to go away from them. Exposed wires? Weight?
Last edited by: Jnags7: Nov 30, 19 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: Using eTap blip box as primary shifter? Is it robust enough? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am trying to reduce clutter and refine which would reduce weight too. Also the blip box has redundant functionality as it can be used for shifting. I do like the bar end clicks but like to have better access to blip box too. The base bar ETap shifters are crap and will replace them with R610 sprinter shifters.
Quote Reply