Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using Bluetooth for Power Meter/HR on Turbo Trainer
Quote | Reply
Hi, I noticed in that TrainerRoad have recently added support for native Windows bluetooth chips, meaning that I can finally ditch the ANT+ dongle from my laptop... HOORAY!

I have one question though: everyone recommends ANT+ over bluetooth for connecting your power meter/HR monitor (namely DCR and Garmin themselves) so am I likely to run in to any problems switching over to bluetooth? Am I likely to experience e.g. more dropouts, faster battery drain?

I'll be using a Quarq DZero and Garmin HRM-DUAL with a Microsoft Surface to run TrainerRoad. I saw a thread on the TR forum that says the latest Windows update can cause issues with Bluetooth again, so I've avoided that for now.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bluetooth for Power Meter/HR on Turbo Trainer [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from what i remember when i read about this a while back is there is more potential for environmental interference with bluetooth versus ant. by enviornmental, i mean things like microwave ovens, tvs, etc. has something to do with the frequency ranges that bluetooth occupies versus ant.

i wouldnt sweat it too much really. give it a go and if you have issues just try and troubleshoot whats going on around you.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bluetooth for Power Meter/HR on Turbo Trainer [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no practical issue in using BLE for trainer apps - that actually works fairly well (at last, until it doesn't).

The main issue with BLE vs ANT+ is more on the power meter to bike computer side of things, specifically that it doesn't support many of the advanced/additional metrics that certain head units (including Garmin, Wahoo, and others) collect.

For your average TrainerRoad connection, I use BLE about 95% of the time.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bluetooth for Power Meter/HR on Turbo Trainer [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies; that's great, I'll give it a try next time!
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bluetooth for Power Meter/HR on Turbo Trainer [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as a quick aside, do you think Garmin have a dual ANT+/BT heart-rate monitor in the works that will support running dynamics?

Until now I've just been using my old HRM-RUN for everything, but just read on your HRM-DUAL article that it doesn't support running dynamics : (
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
Just as a quick aside, do you think Garmin have a dual ANT+/BT heart-rate monitor in the works that will support running dynamics?

Until now I've just been using my old HRM-RUN for everything, but just read on your HRM-DUAL article that it doesn't support running dynamics : (

I'm sure eventually we'll see something. Though not sure on timing. Frankly, I'd have thought they'd have had it back this spring or so following quickly on the other sensors. It's all a bit silly to me.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply