Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Used Open UPs?
Quote | Reply
I've been toying with the idea of getting a gravel bike, and the Open UP is at the top of my list - except for the sticker shock. Been looking around for used ones, but no luck at least in my area. Am I smoking crack thinking I'll find someone letting one of these go?
Quote Reply
Re: Used Open UPs? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
I've been toying with the idea of getting a gravel bike, and the Open UP is at the top of my list - except for the sticker shock. Been looking around for used ones, but no luck at least in my area. Am I smoking crack thinking I'll find someone letting one of these go?

There is a 54cm being offered up here in LA for $6K. Price seems high to me but what do I know... If you're interested I can put you in touch with the seller.

Here is info from seller, merely passing along:

Less than 1,500 miles ridden
Tires are brand new
Whole bike and drivetrain was cleaned bi-weekly
Never crashed, no scratches or dings

KIT
Sram Force 1 Groupset
Zipp 202 Tubeless Ready Disc Wheelset - Thru-Axle
Zipp Cockpit - Zero offset Seatpost, 120mm Stem, 42cm Handlebars
44t Chainring, 10-42t Cassette, 172.5mm Crankset
35mm Compass Tires (Tubed, Brand New)
Fizik Arione VS (2018 - new - not pictured but included)

ALSO INCLUDED FOR FREE:
Scicon Softcase travel bag with adapters for thu-axle ($500 new)
Oakley Jawbreakers - gunmetal with red/green lenses

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Used Open UPs? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this - too big though, and too pricey. I’d need a small (I think that’s a 51).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen a couple, including the one posted here, on the Cyclocross/Gravel Trader group on Facebook. All in that price range though.
Quote Reply
Re: Used Open UPs? [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. The Canadian dollar definitely isn’t doing me any favours. Sigh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a Chinese knockoff of that frame. The Riding Gravel forums have a lot of info on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Used Open UPs? [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, another forum to get sucked into. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you looked at the Lauf True Grit? I have several friends who have one, and they all love it. From $3,700 complete.
Quote Reply
Re: Used Open UPs? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not - thanks for the tip. I'm also looking at the new Giant Revolt... appears to be really good bang for the buck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:

We have two in my household and love them. They are a pricey build.

Glory Cycles had an unbeatable price on pre-builds of the original U.P., but it looks like they sold out that stock. Their New U.P. Ultegra offering isn't bad. I have had an eBay search running for a while and never see used ones going for low prices

I was trying to help get a co-worker set up with a gravel bike and he didn't move fast enough of the Glory UP deal. To get down to his price range we ended up finding him a Niner RLT 9 RDO from Bike Bling for a great price. They had some 2018 stock on sale and didn't have his size so they made him a great deal on a 2019.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been intrigued by the Kestrel TerX Force on Bikesdirect.com

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there

I picked up a blue Open UP at the end of last year and couldn’t be happier. Wow what a beautiful bike. Both to look at and ride.

I got mine in Canada after a lot of looking around for the best deal. Even thought of bringing one back with me from Europe as I’m there a lot for work. And in the end the piece of mind of getting one locally and working with them won. And it didn’t work out much more expensive.

I got mine from http://primeauvelo.com in Montreal and they gave me a great service.

I purchased the frame from them and sourced about 75% of the components myself and left them to get the rest. They gave me a competitive price on all the parts they got and with the savings I made on shopping around for the others the price was not too bad. Not cheap but it was worth it.

I went for local https://wovenprecision.com wheels and again they gave fantastic service.

So if you want to keep it in Canada I would go this way.

Drop me a mail if you want to chat and I will help you out with contacts and component list etc.

Regards

Phil
Last edited by: Phil Hodson: Jan 10, 19 21:23
Quote Reply
Re: Used Open UPs? [Phil Hodson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Phil, really appreciate this! Primeau Velo is actually reasonably close (within a few hours) to me. Going to do some more research, and if I do end up going this route I'll take you up on your offer to chat re. component choices as this would be my first from-scratch build from the frame up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phil Hodson wrote:

I went for local https://wovenprecision.com wheels and again they gave fantastic service.

Phil

I’d also highly recommend Woven wheels. They are a local company in Ottawa. Disclaimer: I am a supported rider - I’m not a hashtag pusher kind of guy though - they really are amazing value for the performance. I have 6 sets on various bikes and I haven’t had one issue with many thousands of training and racing Km’s.

If you have any questions let me know. I have a lot of experience riding mixed conditions and put on a gravel event each year called Ride of the Damned.

Last edited by: Bonesbrigade: Jan 12, 19 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great. Keep in touch and if you go that way I will be more than happy to help.

They were very good with me. I literally spent months going back and forth with them over components etc and they actually let me stay st the shop and see/help/annoy them when it was being built as like you this was the first time I had done one from scratch. And was interested in picking their brains on some of the mechanicals that I wasn’t upto speed on. Was a fun day.

And like bonesbrigade said, woven are in Ottawa so also not far for you although they ship too. I send them the colour of my open frame and they matched the wheel decals exactly and in the specs I wanted so they were basically custom made too and a totally affordable price.

With out wishing to hijack this thread I’m very interested in the ride of the damned!

Phil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, I should mention that Phat Moose in Ottawa (who are also woven wheels!) and Cyclelogic are also Open dealers just not main ones. Meaning they don’t hold them in stock etc. They are also very good and reputable shops if Ottawa maybe closer.

Cheers

Phil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! I'm going to be at Cyclelogik in the next week or so to swap out my bars and confirm my fit... maybe I'll pick Ian's brain about it when I'm there. :) I live in a rural area north of Ottawa. I've been eyeing some of the local gravel events for 2019, if I end up pulling the trigger on a gravel bike I'll likely try one in West Carleton in between tri races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds great. It was Alastair that told me I’m sure Ian can help too.

Obviously they deal with Felt and Scott and Cervelo too so you have a lot of choice there’s.

Someting so nice about the Open though. And not many around either!

Like I said drop me a line if you need component help there is a lot you can do to try and keep the cost down.

Phil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every so often I’ll check out eBay to see what’s for sale. But there never seem to be too many. There always seem to Be significantly more 3T Exploro’s for sale which is interesting

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.ebay.com/...SwsRVb6NI5:rk:7:pf:0

Not my cup of tea, but could collect parts and have a good setup for under $4-$4500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear. Ride of the Damned is scheduled for Sunday June 2nd. We are just waiting for final OCA approval. Hope to see you there. Like I said, if you have any questions just let me know.

I noticed Open dropped the price of the UP frameset from $3200 to $2900 at some point this last week. Still expensive, but about a 10% drop

That now puts it at $300 let than the Exploro which is kind of interesting (albeit you get a seatpost with the Exploro frameset)

Matt
Quote Reply