Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Use of paddle boards to mark the start line for IMWC pro swim start - is there a better way?
Quote | Reply
The last few years watching live coverage of IMWC, I always wonder if there's not a better way to demarcate the swim start line for the pro races than having a bunch of paddle boards criss-crossing in front of the athletes. Inevitably there always seems to be a few that don't get themselves stationary and turned in the right direction before the cannon sounds which looks like it blocks some swimmers and/or causes them to strike a board with their hands/arms/ face. I imagine that's got to be very frustrating and a potentially injury causing way to start what is the most important race of the year. This concern was confirmed while watching the top 5 mens pro panel and Sebi says he hit one of the boards "full on" at the start (15:42 mark of the below video). Fortunately it obviously didn't affect his race though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADupJOi2s6E

Maybe it's not an issue for most and no complaints to the organizers and that's why they keep using the same method every year, but to me it seems there must be a better way, like stringing a few metre high rope or backstroke flags on rope across a few buoys. I know this is just a micro-moment in the grand scheme of things, but still seems like an unnecessary risk. Would be curious to hear people's thoughts on this, especially any pros who have done the race and if it's a potential issue or not?
Quote Reply
Re: Use of paddle boards to mark the start line for IMWC pro swim start - is there a better way? [Mike.A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's worse later when you have a hundreds of age groupers trying to get to the front and if it wasn't for the boards crossing in front then people would push or have been pushed forward by people coming from behind. If someone pushes past the rope then who is going to marshal them back? Just before the gun goes off they stop crossing, become stationary and face down the course making it your obligation to get around them. They are a necessary evil and not an issue I'm afraid IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Use of paddle boards to mark the start line for IMWC pro swim start - is there a better way? [Mike.A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy solution for the pro fields.
Have a jetski bring out a floating dock/slab of foam.
Every athlete has to have a hand on the dock. You can even number them and give a section to each athlete.
As long as each end is positioned well, it would be the same distance for everyone, no one could scoot forward, and no one is in the way.
It'd take 20 seconds to tow it away before the AG'ers race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tradition and it is Hawaii . . . I'd say keep it!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the first year I remember it being a problem. I seem to recall a lot more paddle borders and a lot better coordination with the starter in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Use of paddle boards to mark the start line for IMWC pro swim start - is there a better way? [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
Easy solution for the pro fields.
Have a jetski bring out a floating dock/slab of foam.
Every athlete has to have a hand on the dock. You can even number them and give a section to each athlete.
As long as each end is positioned well, it would be the same distance for everyone, no one could scoot forward, and no one is in the way.
It'd take 20 seconds to tow it away before the AG'ers race.

I like it. đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sharks on leashes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good topic!

the line looked so parabolic for one - every meter counts for these guys so no way it should be a lucky draw handicap with these stakes
and then the boarders turning - with such a tight knit group it has to go wrong - and Sebi said he swam into one this year and changed his swim....thats gotta stop

diving off the pier ITU style?
maybe waist deep standing start with a rope?
a rope between the bouys 1 meter high - everyone has a few seconds warning to get behind that line or get a penalty?
...theres got to be a better way but not sure what
Quote Reply
Re: Use of paddle boards to mark the start line for IMWC pro swim start - is there a better way? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Sharks on leashes.

Sharks, yes! And they need frickin laser beams.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Use of paddle boards to mark the start line for IMWC pro swim start - is there a better way? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
good topic!

diving off the pier ITU style?
maybe waist deep standing start with a rope?
a rope between the bouys 1 meter high - everyone has a few seconds warning to get behind that line or get a penalty?
...theres got to be a better way but not sure what

It looks the pier is taken up with spectators and traditionalists may not like the diving start, but like your idea about the 1 meter high rope, especially giving a few seconds warning and issuing a penalty if anyone creeps over...there could even be a video replay tent, lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 ;)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A heavy floating rope between the start points. Probably would need anchored boats or something.
Just before the gun the rope is pulled taught lifting it above the swimmers.
They do this in Roth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sniper with a dart that has a small dose of lidocaine in it. Enough to numb an appendage for 2-3 minutes.
Quote Reply