Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Use XC slider for swim strength?
Quote | Reply
Hey there!

I got a xc slider/bench trainer for cheap ( looks like this:

have added some wheels, cords and paddles so it basically works like the old type of Vasa swim bench (without erg). What would be the most beneficial use of it, pure strength work or to simulate swim sets (lightheir/Vasa afficionado style)? High power/few reps, or spend lots of time pulling lighter? No watt/lap counter but I can go by time/HR and also have one of those Finis metronome things. Plan is to do 2-3x 30 mins on this thing per week, plus 1-2 actual 1hr swims, depending on time availability. For context I was a 1-1.05 IM swimmer until 2016 ca, only a few OW swims since. Adult onset learner. B/R 6-10 hours/week

Which would be the top five freestyle specific swim exercises you could use it for? So far I have done the obvious (?) high elbow pull-downs, reverse shoulder pulls (simulate recovery phase), triceps pulls (elbows tucked in).

Injury risk is also an issue, dont want to mess up the shoulders!!

Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by: scandinavianguy: Nov 9, 19 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Use XC slider for swim strength? [scandinavianguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Btw, as there are lots of threads about Vasa trainers, which would be the major limitations of this kind of basic setup? Thanks!
Last edited by: scandinavianguy: Nov 9, 19 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Use XC slider for swim strength? [scandinavianguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scandinavianguy wrote:
Hey there!
I got a xc slider/bench trainer for cheap ( looks like this:
have added some wheels, cords and paddles so it basically works like the old type of Vasa swim bench (without erg). What would be the most beneficial use of it, pure strength work or to simulate swim sets (lightheir/Vasa afficionado style)? High power/few reps, or spend lots of time pulling lighter? No watt/lap counter but I can go by time/HR and also have one of those Finis metronome things. Plan is to do 2-3x 30 mins on this thing per week, plus 1-2 actual 1hr swims, depending on time availability. For context I was a 1-1.05 IM swimmer until 2016 ca, only a few OW swims since. Adult onset learner. B/R 6-10 hours/week
Which would be the top five freestyle specific swim exercises you could use it for? So far I have done the obvious (?) high elbow pull-downs, reverse shoulder pulls (simulate recovery phase), triceps pulls (elbows tucked in).
Injury risk is also an issue, dont want to mess up the shoulders!!
Thanks for any advice!

I would stick to high reps aiming to simulate a good strokes/min (spm) in the water, e.g. 60-70 spm. I would do sets just as in the pool, i.e., 10 min warm-up, then 20 x 100 m repeats on say 15 sec rest, 5 min cool-down. Your "100 m repeats" would be however many strokes it takes you to swim the distance.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Use XC slider for swim strength? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric, sorry for taking long time to respond! I have indeed followed your advice and tried to replicate swim sets! It is really hard! Oddly, 30 minutes at the "bench" feels much harder than the equivalent in a pool, even though HR is a fair bit lower on dry land (got the Garmin HRM swim). Maybe pulling from a sliding board engages fewer/smaller muscles?

Thanks again!
Quote Reply