Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Use GoPro with TM to improve run form?
Quote | Reply
Howdy, inspired by the article about Sam Gyde on his Vasa, where he uses mirrors and a GoPro to track swim form during sets was wondering if anyone has a reasonably uncomplicated setup for visual feedback during running that helps you develop run form?

Currently I have tried just having a sideview cam mirrored to a monitor in front, did some sessions with orange tape markers on joints and it does give you stuff to think about, forward lean, arm swing etc. Also tried at one point with an actual mirror slightly to the side but almost fell of the TM when I turned to look at it...
There are of course apps where you shoot video then analyze post run, like Hudl, but I am more interested in real time monitoring to correct on the fly.

A while back I did a session with these guys https://www.motionmetrix.se/, they have two 3d cameras in front, no blips attached to the body. Got lots of relevant info on stride economy etc, but to be really useful I think you need to go multiple times and work on your gait in between. Have not seen any at-home consumer versions of that.

All tips welcome

Thanks

Last edited by: scandinavianguy: Dec 19, 19 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: Use GoPro with TM to improve run form? [scandinavianguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy apparently has lots of DIY ideas https://fellrnr.com/...Speed_Video_Analysis

According to this study a consumer camera seems good enough https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29989508

So, curious what people have going on, seems like a field where tech is advancing, ideally it would be a no hassle system to give you cues to work on

cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just say be careful in trying to improve your run form. Incorporating strides, doing hill work, and working on the core are underutilized tools to improve your run form more naturally. Anecdotally, the only time I tried to actively improve my run form I ended up with Plantar. Your body moves a certain way for a reason. Conscious awareness is a powerful too and if your changing your run form best to do it over a longer period of time. Keep in mind the body finds its own way to move efficiently while running. That may or may not look that great on camera.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off you need to decide why you want to change what you want to change. Is there some sort of biomechanical issue(s) that you have that's limiting your ability to run faster? To change for the sake of changing is not always a wise endeavour when you step back and evaluate things.

Do you really want to change your running form or improve economy? When I hear athletes say "I want to change my running form" what most often they are really saying is I want to be a more economical runner.

For the sake of argument let's accept that fact that you have some issue(s) that needs to be changed. According to numerous studies looking at this topic, you can reasonably expect to spend at least a year although it could take longer, working on that one change before it becomes ingrained. During that time a reasonable expectation is that your running velocities will stay the same or even regress.

What about other unintended consequences? Change one thing and that may change other thing(s) that could lead to an injury.

Running is a sport where the body tends to self select the best way for itself to run. When you think about running you're impacting the ground 700 or more times per mile (8 min mile @ 87-88 spm). Now move that out to say 50k/wk (although I know that avg triathlete doesn't even run 50k/wk - mind boggling I know), but at 50k you're at ~ 21-22k steps of running per week. 85k or so running steps a month & > 1 million running steps peryear. Let's say you've been running 6-8 years, well that's a lot of ingrained purposeful ingraining to ask yourself to overcome, even if you devote a million running steps to it. That doesn't include all the times you run without thinking about it. Run across the parking lot, or at a soccer match, that's just more ingraining.

If you want to make change, Gerlach made some good suggestions. Do the things that help your body change/become more economical while you run.

Run hills, do some extremely fast running (100-300m type fast), do some extremely long runs (go run 4-5 hours), run high volume (try to get up to 100-120-150mpw). These are all things that have been proven to increase running economy.

Let me ask you this. How can you insure that those 12-18 months where you are focused on changing your running form overcome the millions of steps of ingraining of your current running form make you a faster runner in the long term?

That's a tough question to answer, have a beer and ponder it.

Let us know what, if anything, you decide and your thought process behind it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Dec 19, 19 20:33
Quote Reply
Re: Use GoPro with TM to improve run form? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks Thomas and Brian for insightful responses. I guess you are right I underestimate both the timeline and risks involved in trying to change your run form. Wanting to improve just felt like a given, like learning to pedal full circle or do swim drills to improve catch and streamline etc.

And yes, run economy is what I thought cameras could help with. Took a few years off from tri chasing a sub 3 marathon, topped out at 150k per week, but running fast (-ish to some...) always felt forced, like muscling out speed instead of rolling relaxed into a higher effort. To have that effortless glide... man the way some people run relaxed and fast! And smiling too!

I do think I will still - cautiously - try out some visual feedback for basic reminders on the treadmill, like relaxing shoulders, keeping an eye on how posture changes with fatigue etc, but perhaps as you say stick to the classics, hills strides etc, to actually train ’better’ ways to run.

So tricky these days to filter out which tech actually helps with improvement!

Again thanks!

desert dude wrote:
First off you need to decide why you want to change what you want to change. Is there some sort of biomechanical issue(s) that you have that's limiting your ability to run faster? To change for the sake of changing is not always a wise endeavour when you step back and evaluate things.

Do you really want to change your running form or improve economy? When I hear athletes say "I want to change my running form" what most often they are really saying is I want to be a more economical runner.

For the sake of argument let's accept that fact that you have some issue(s) that needs to be changed. According to numerous studies looking at this topic, you can reasonably expect to spend at least a year although it could take longer, working on that one change before it becomes ingrained. During that time a reasonable expectation is that your running velocities will stay the same or even regress.

What about other unintended consequences? Change one thing and that may change other thing(s) that could lead to an injury.

Running is a sport where the body tends to self select the best way for itself to run. When you think about running you're impacting the ground 700 or more times per mile (8 min mile @ 87-88 spm). Now move that out to say 50k/wk (although I know that avg triathlete doesn't even run 50k/wk - mind boggling I know), but at 50k you're at ~ 21-22k steps of running per week. 85k or so running steps a month & > 1 million running steps peryear. Let's say you've been running 6-8 years, well that's a lot of ingrained purposeful ingraining to ask yourself to overcome, even if you devote a million running steps to it. That doesn't include all the times you run without thinking about it. Run across the parking lot, or at a soccer match, that's just more ingraining.

If you want to make change, Gerlach made some good suggestions. Do the things that help your body change/become more economical while you run.

Run hills, do some extremely fast running (100-300m type fast), do some extremely long runs (go run 4-5 hours), run high volume (try to get up to 100-120-150mpw). These are all things that have been proven to increase running economy.

Let me ask you this. How can you insure that those 12-18 months where you are focused on changing your running form overcome the millions of steps of ingraining of your current running form make you a faster runner in the long term?

That's a tough question to answer, have a beer and ponder it.

Let us know what, if anything, you decide and your thought process behind it.
Quote Reply