Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Urgent / race wheel choice
Quote | Reply
I know same old question. I have to order my wheels today to get a really good deal. My options:
- Zipp 404 (under 800$)
- Zipp 909 (under 1000$)
Big capital A race is IM Idaho. I'm a OK cyclist (5.15h at IMF). My weight 168lbs.
I never rode a disk and my only pair of wheels so far is an old pair of Mavic Cxp33.
I can't make up my mind. Please help! What would you do?
Quote Reply
Re: Urgent / race wheel choice [richard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say go with the 909s and the disk. Unless you ride big hills exclusively, the weight penalty with the disk isn't too bad. As for crosswinds, if it's really THAT windy, ride your training wheels. I have had no problem riding my older/heavier HED disk on all kinds of courses, including IMOO, and Powerman AL.

The only caveat is that if you are fortunate/fast enough to qualify for Kona every year, they don't allow disks. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jump on the 909s immediately. They'll work for your target race and for nearly every situation you'll find yourself in. If Hawaii enters the picture, I'm sure you could aquire a proper rear aero wheel for that race. 909s....909s....909s!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
909's. Aside from the fact that I own a disk (Renn, 404 front) and love it, here's why:

I'm not sure that I have even once encountered a person that owned a disk or who had previously ridden a disk who would opt for anything but a disk for 99% of terrain and weather. It appears to me that the only people concerned about the weight and handling of disks are people who haven't ridden a disk. Am I wrong? Happy to hear from experienced disk users that wouldn't race on a disk in less than extreme terrain or weather. Anyone? If you haven't ridden a disk before, but think you have an opinion... How can I politely say it... Your opinion ain't worth jack??? J/K! Okay, that's a little harsh, but I'm trying to make a point here. Are you with me?

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Urgent / race wheel choice [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with those guys: 909s all the way...

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Urgent / race wheel choice [aduncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
909s are my personal choice.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
so by popular vote, 909 it will be... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered the 909's! I'll let you know all my comments when i test them. thanks.

btw all of you who answered my question will be responsible if my bike time is under expectations at IM CDA.
Quote Reply
Re: so by popular vote, 909 it will be... [richard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa mule. WHOAH mule. WHOAH MULE!!!!!!! When I say WHOAH, I MEAN WHOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one can guarantee a good IM bike split! Yew eent a-gonna trap me like-at, pardner. Iffin yew wanna hol' me responsible fer yer bike split den please forgo de 909s and drive youssef straighttuh yer local Honda dealer an finagle youssef una dem fancy CBRs. Otherwise I'll claim you disregarded my best advice for a fast bike split Wink
Quote Reply
Re: Urgent / race wheel choice [Justin on LI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One day there were huge winds, and I do mean huge, almost storm conditions. I found the rear disc with a Hed 60 on front almost too much to handle in the cross wind. It was OK at an angle and fine with the wind forward/behind you but the cross winds going over a high bridge were unbelieveable. I was fighting for dear life.

This was a most extreme condition. 98% of the time I'd recommend a disc.
Quote Reply