Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Uphill Race...Disc or not?
Quote | Reply
I have an upcoming Du with a 20 mile bike leg that is uphill with a 1300'+ gain, turnaround and then dive back down. The run legs are 5K. It is at moderate altitude and ascends steadily, so 10 up and 10 down. I'm guessing it'll take 45 minutes to climb and then 20 minutes to descend. I have a set of Reynolds Stratus 650c wheels and a Corima disc and don't know which combo might be faster under calm conditions. Certainly the wire rear will be much lighter than the disc to climb, and there is more time going up than down. Conversely, the disc would be faster descending but I can't see where the point of diminishing returns might be. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Uphill Race...Disc or not? [schubwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done some races with 5k climbs out and back w/ and w/out the disc. I was faster w/ the disc by about 30sec. The races were w/in 2 weeks of each other on the same course. The only difference is the races started on the opposite ends of the course. We didn't gain 1300 feet or more maybe 600 max.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going way out on a limb here...but I'd say the time you saved in weight savings going up for 45 mins would far outweigh the time saving in aero advantage going down for 20. I'd stick with the double DV set up. Pretty deep aero wheel to begin with and I wouldn't think a disc would be significantly faster for the length of time you're going downhill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd use the reynolds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Uphill Race...Disc or not? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good article to read.

http://www.bike.com/...tiondirectory=techno
good article nothing..very very interesting article is more like it..not sure how steep the TT mentioned above is but in light of that article, damn go with the disc. who'da thunk it
Quote Reply